Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013

djaustralia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to djaustralia
Seeking WARATAH yacht plans please

This is the "modified" Waratah twin bilge keel masthead sloop built by my grandfather in the 70's. My mum passed the plans down to me but I bought a dog many years ago and it chewed up some of the sheets. I would like fresh copies of sheet's no: 2, 4, 7.. If anyone has these plans I want to hear from you. The Waratah is a Dennis knight design @ 21ft. I'm also keen to find the yacht pictured above. Then named ORION 3 @ 23ft in length, sold in Tasmania in the late 70's and sailed to King Island, Bass strait.

Last edited by djaustralia; 05-08-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Seeking WARATAH yacht plans please

DJ,

It appears you've been trying very hard for a long time to find these plans and it would seem that no-one knows of the yacht or the designer else surely they would have replied by now.

The late '70's was a boom-time in backyard boat-building in Australia and many budding designers appeared - inspired by the "rags-to-riches" stories and books of yacht plans produced by famous Aussie and Kiwi designers like Alan Payne, Joe Adams, Bob Miller, Bruce Farr and Richard Hartley (to name a few) - and hoping to follow in the footsteps of their heroes. It seems likely that Dennis Knight was one of the many who tried, and failed.

To continue the search, I'd suggest you contact the Australian National Maritime Museum and ask them to check their archives.. If this guy was better than most, you might be lucky.

Last edited by Classic30; 05-09-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2013

Are you saying that I should no longer post threads on this site regarding the yacht in question?. There is no harm in this in my opinion. Even re-posting the same info should be acceptable as after a while, and many new threads, our post's slowly go down the list. Most people don't read or reply to threads that are more than a couple of weeks old as the assumption is that the thread starter has aquired the information they seek. In other forums I have actually been wrapped on the proverbial knuckles for bumping old theads to the top again. You say 'no-one knows' of the plans or the yacht I seek, so what if someone should happen to sign up for the first time and read my thread and have the info' I'm looking for? Are you a moderator on this site? As I would expect a suggestion such as yours to come from a person in such a position. I have my reasons for being here as I'm sure you do too. So do me the courtesy of not peering over my fence if you don't like whats being said over here. I will also inquire with the ANMM so thankyou.
Old 05-09-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaustralia View Post
Are you saying that I should no longer post threads on this site regarding the yacht in question?. There is no harm in this in my opinion. Even re-posting the same info should be acceptable as after a while, and many new threads, our post's slowly go down the list. Most people don't read or reply to threads that are more than a couple of weeks old as the assumption is that the thread starter has aquired the information they seek. In other forums I have actually been wrapped on the proverbial knuckles for bumping old theads to the top again. You say 'no-one knows' of the plans or the yacht I seek, so what if someone should happen to sign up for the first time and read my thread and have the info' I'm looking for? Are you a moderator on this site? As I would expect a suggestion such as yours to come from a person in such a position. I have my reasons for being here as I'm sure you do too. So do me the courtesy of not peering over my fence if you don't like whats being said over here. I will also inquire with the ANMM so thankyou.

Well that's one way to endear yourself to someone who may have put some serious effort into solving your problem. Not a good move, but thats just my opinion,
Classic30 likes this.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-09-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

DJ, that boat looks like it is made of plywood, which is not very durable even when fiberglassed over. After 40 years it is most likely gone. I do not want to dampen your spirit, but a chance of finding it is slim to none. You might be able to find the plans and build a new one.
Best of luck to you, my friend.
Old 05-09-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Looks like your getting scolded pretty well over in Wooden Boat Forum DJ.
OLD YACHT PLANS.What are they worth, can I sell copies to the public?

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

It looks like there's nothing more for me to say that hasn't been said already many times by many people.

A sad case indeed..
Old 05-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Looks like your getting scolded pretty well over in Wooden Boat Forum DJ.
OLD YACHT PLANS.What are they worth, can I sell copies to the public?
That thread was closed weeks ago!
Old 05-09-2013

I'm suprised by all the negativity here. I'm simply trying to seek answers. Isn't that what people sign up on forums for? Your all so busy jumping in to add your opinions that you havn't stopped to consider wether you actually should should. As I said, someone new could sign up here any time and have the answers I seek. The yacht existed so someone must know about it. Just keep your opinions to yourselves and leave me and my threads be. If I break any rules on this forum I'm sure the mod's will let me know. So far i've not heard from them.
Old 05-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
It looks like there's nothing more for me to say that hasn't been said already many times by many people.

A sad case indeed..
Here's my point...if you've nothing to add, why leave another comment????

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.