Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
If I was younger, skinnier and a better sailor I would take the risk for an opportunity to sail one of these boats.
I would have too. But then again when I was younger, I did not think I could die.

When in my twenties, once was sailing in 50+ knots in the Tasman Sea. Tried to put up a storm jib on the bow of an 85 foot motor sail to try to stabilize her in the 30 foot plus seas. I had no life jacket, no harness, nothin but my hands. While I was holding the sail down by sitting on it, and waiting for partner to hoist sail, a wave washed over the deck with 3 feet of green water and carried me 15 feet across the deck and into a stanchion where I was stopped from going overboard. I hit my head and split open my ear lobe. The crew in the pilot house was a little concerned when they lost sight of me for several seconds. We went ahead and hoisted the sail, the 1-inch down haul line broke and the sail went to the top of the mast. We finally got the sail down and called it a day. I did not realize how much risk we were taking without proper equipment and training. At the time, I thought nothing of it- too stupid to know better...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

The smaller boats do that too...even with more frequency. Probably they thought that size would help to eliminate that. It diminish the frequency but did not eliminate the possibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Exactly, the risk with the smaller boats was already known. I would love to hear whether they really thought a larger, faster version would be less risky. Seems to defy logic, but I'm open to hearing that they thought it would, even if they are being proved wrong. I would feel better about that.

As it stands, it seems Ellison was just upping the ante.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-13-2013

okapi3 is on a distinguished road

I agree completely with Art H. The way the AC is now, it's just a competition between enormous bankrolls funding boat engineering. With all this emphasis on extreme engineering (and danger) maybe they're trying to attract the NASCAR crowd.
Paul
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 05-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi3 View Post
I agree completely with Art H. The way the AC is now, it's just a competition between enormous bankrolls funding boat engineering. With all this emphasis on extreme engineering (and danger) maybe they're trying to attract the NASCAR crowd.
Paul
Agree, just look at the money spent on just their rigid hull inflatables... And those are used mostly to haul back boat pieces.
jephotog and Minnewaska like this.
Old 05-13-2013

Been reading a little past history of the AC. Seems the lawyers are the people really benefiting from the race...
Old 05-13-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Smack, have you seen what the inside of a NASCAR drivers seat looks like these days? The safety of the driver is paramount and the cars have very strict rules intended to improve safety each year. The NFL has made great strides in seeing that the quarterbacks are not broken into bits anymore.

I'm good with the thrill, just not with the abandonment of safety. All of these sports spilled some blood before they got it. I just see AC going the other way from these risky sports analogies, as the spectacular crashes of the cats has been going on for a while and it was just a matter of time before one killed someone. Everyone knew it.
How can you seriously talk about the abandonment of safety when you have all kinds of mandatory PPE I use by AC crews? As well as PPE which may or may not be discretionary- such as air tanks to allow 3 -4 minutes breathing underwater?

This is called risk mitigation- there are many ways to conduct a risk assessment- and then to mitigate excessive risk, in order to bring it back into the realm of acceptability.

Are we so arrogant as to believe that the teams, the designers, and the officials haven't conceived of this very scenario?

It's all just a bunch of high horsery from folks that are too timid to take on that level of risk themselves- and find it uncomfortable to live in a world where there are those who are willing to sack up and go out there life on the line for something as pointless as sailing a billionaires boat. Then on the otherhand If this guy died sailing his pearson triton singlehanded on a circumnavigation thi place would be a cacophony of blowhards demanding to know who payed for the search and rescue- if any attempt was made at all- griping like they had to sign that check themselves personally. Sailing isn't about as pointless and self indulgent an activity as anything in existence - but there's this constant chorus of those decrying sailing in races, or singlehanded, or in a small boat, or when it's windy, or if where you want to go is the same direction that the wind is comin from. So for all those who are going on about how irresponsible or unsafe all this is- I say sell your boat. Sailing is irresponsible at its core. We aren't out here shuttling goods from
Continent to continent or filling or holds with clean burning whale oil with which to keep the streetlights lit.

This guy- with a solid background that afforded him the experience to make an informed decision said "this activity is both safe and well paying enough for me to engage in"

The guys writin the checks have so far determined that their exposure to risk is also acceptable- whether or not they are out on an AC 72.

I find the prevalence of the attitude that "it's not safe enough because someone died doing it" to be at its core indicative of the absolute decay of the American spirit- which historically sought out and thrived on adventure- in pursuit of goals as lofty as "building a new nation" to as mundane as just trying to keep food on the table.

I'm no big fan of the billboard boats. I don't care who paid for it or even who built it since they aren't cranking out rides I can get a seat on anyway. - I'm interested in who designed it and who is sailing it- so maybe they can make that change- keep the boats appearance a bit less commercial.
Alden68, chef2sail and smackdaddy like this.
Old 05-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
...sack up and go out there...
Well-played my good man.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
How can you seriously talk about the abandonment of safety when you have all kinds of mandatory PPE I use by AC crews? As well as PPE which may or may not be discretionary- such as air tanks to allow 3 -4 minutes breathing underwater?

This is called risk mitigation- there are many ways to conduct a risk assessment- and then to mitigate excessive risk, in order to bring it back into the realm of acceptability.

keep the boats appearance a bit less commercial.
One article says he was held down 10 minutes. Maybe they need 20 minutes air- 2x SF.

The freakin ad is what paid for the boat. If you don't like the ad, pony up the money your self.

People do not have to die to push the limit. If you know the equipment sucks- fix it.
Old 05-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've flown aircraft to runways I can't see.

I've ridden my motorcycle across half the countries in Europe and the Alps.

I've been an instructor for deep wreck and black water rescue diving.

I've sailed offshore in severe storms and zero viz.

I know risk and my spirit is just fine. It's not about eliminating risk, it's about continually getting better at managing it and reducing incidents. I understand there are professional teams that refused to compete in this AC because they thought this boat was too risky and another currently considering pulling out. Even the X-games have begun to eliminate some events, as they are too risky, despite the fact that there is no shortage in willing competitors.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.