Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
.....Bottom line- if you offer an "out" due to weather- you will see boats that can't handle weather......
This is a good point. However, I would think they are in a jam between the lesser of two evils now. Going forward, I completely agree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

I would also think that all those griping about it being nothing more than an ego stroke for billionaires would enjoy seeing Ellison and company, as well as the other teams, told- "hey- you got the boat you wanted in the venue you wanted- now deal with it"
Old 05-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
... but I say in for a penny - in for a pound, and the fact that its blowing 35 with 9-10 swell is no reason to cancel the event. In fact- maybe NOT canceling races is all the encouragement teams will need to more well rounded designs. Sure- I want to see big ass cats go twice the wind speed- but it would be even cooler if after a pitchpole or capsize they got out and ha to right the boat and keep sailing.
Well, I think there quickly becomes a point where that sort of argument becomes silly - akin to suggesting that NASCAR and IndyCar should be running on ovals in the rain... If you believe the boats should be capable of racing in the sort of conditions you describe, then perhaps the course they sail should be changed... Send them outside the Golden Gate to the Farallones, and the boats would be designed to handle the anticipated conditions...

These AC boats are as close as we have to an F1 car on the water... They are intended for a pretty specific purpose and conditions, and are not 'convertible' to be able to run the Paris-Dakar Rally after something as simple as a ride-height adjustment...

Quote:
I would also think that all those griping about it being nothing more than an ego stroke for billionaires would enjoy seeing Ellison and company, as well as the other teams, told- "hey- you got the boat you wanted in the venue you wanted- now deal with it"
Well, I tend to doubt many critics of what the AC has become "enjoyed" seeing the tragedy that transpired last week...
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-14-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2013

Putting words in my mouth then, are you? Not to strong with conjugation, perhaps? I doubt many or any people enjoyed seeing a guy drown either. Maybe re-read what you quoted- and recognize that I was offering potential future discussion- rather than discussing an event that had already transpired. In fact it was this event in the past which would generate this future discussion.

If you take issue with my opinion- then take issue with it. I don't even know you and yet I have enough respect to respond to what you actually say/ type

If you want to discuss ideas that I might eventually put forward- well speculate on, maybe it what it lacks in content and intrinsic value will be made up for in entertainment value, Jon.

I personally- and you would have to dig back all the way to the page before this one to notice- have no issue with the current design, nor it's potential to be less safe than what many people seem comfortable with. I personally am enthralled by the boats- regardless of whether they are "safe" or not. I personally think that alot I the talk regarding FAA type oversight of construction methods and materials is ridiculous.

I also put forward a rather basic and common sense notion that I will repeat here- I will use quotation marks- as I am actually saying this.

"If there is concern that the boats have become too one dimensional to be effective as a platform for competition, or that the boats are no longer safe enough- then the course of action that is most basic, and requires the least amount of interference from governing bodies and committees is to let any team that so chooses drop out now- or at the time of there choosing. However, modifying the standards of the weather call- at this point- will send a very clear message that designs that are increasingly fragile, unpredictable, and one dimensional will be catered to, and if that message is sent- designs that fit that description will continue to proliferate."

Note that I haven't endorsed or suggested a course of action, I have only pointed out some of the logical consequences of some of the courses of action currently on the table for consideration- thereby allowing those with reasonable reading comprehension skills to draw their own conclusions- and possibly continue the discussion- based on some limited but reasonable understanding on the several facets of the present dillema.

I, for one, remain comfortable with the knowledge that (gasp) sailing and - this is an even bigger (gasp) competition at the highest level are not without potentially fatal risk.

Don't try cheap shots like quoting me out of context in concert with a lackluster quip to get any communicating done. If your going to argue a point- make sure it's one in contention- anything else is a waste of time and makes you seem foolish.

Last edited by c. breeze; 05-14-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-14-2013

That last bit was heavy handed and inappropriate.
Old 05-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I went to a movie one time - this is in a theater mind you- and my sister- we are going way back now, ET was the film- my sister, a few years younger than me got fruit punch as a drink and it was so far from anything she had experienced in the world of drink that she began shrieking at full 3 year old volume "they're poisoning me" over and over and had to be taken out of the theater.
I think this might be the best thing to come out of this whole thread. Classic.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-14-2013

There's some saying about blind pigs and truffles that comes to mind...

Hahaha. I hate argueing on the Internet cuz there's no point- I mean even less so than in real life- so I'm glad for the opportunity to inject something other than... Heated discussion.

It's only sailing for chistsake...

I'm glad you're able to see humor where you find it these days- I doubt my own resiliency were the tables turned. I could learn alot about mental health from you. Cheers smack.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 05-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Besides the chance of catastrophic failure and pitchpoling there is the chance of collision with these ultra high speed non maneuverable boats. Having watched the previous cat races, I feel that also has the potential for fatalities. There are a lot of ways that these boats are dangerous.
This is actually a very, very good point. This is where the real danger lies...when the boats are actually racing together. Think about it, both 72' boats up on foils at 40+ knots, screaming to the weather mark just yards apart and having to make a big, edgy move...

That's going to be very hairy.

These dudes are seriously ballsy.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-14-2013
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

I would like to see the America Cup go back to being the America cup . To me it's like one step away from having airplanes in a sailboat race .
Old 05-14-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How can you seriously talk about the abandonment of safety when you have all kinds of mandatory PPE I use by AC crews?...
Anyone who has dealt with workplace safety knows that PPE is the last line of defense. Here's a good reference from OSHA:

Quote:
Using personal protective equipment is often
essential, but it is generally the last line of
defense after engineering controls, work practices,
and administrative controls. Engineering
controls involve physically changing a machine
or work environment. Administrative controls
involve changing how or when workers do
their jobs, such as scheduling work and rotating
workers to reduce exposures. Work practices
involve training workers how to perform
tasks in ways that reduce their exposure to
workplace hazards.
Minnewaska likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)