Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Seems to me, LATITUDE 38 strikes the right note, here (bolded portion mine):

"As exciting as AC72s are to watch, in light of Simpson's death we, too, have to wonder if research and development of this new class of boats isn't still too much in the experimental phase to be ready for competition before a world-wide audience just 51 days from now."

As I said before...this is exactly the problem...too much, too big, too soon. But I sure hope they don't abandon the cats or the format. They're on to something truly great.

(PS - I'm the bathtub sailor around here and don't you forget it!)
Minnewaska likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-14-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Just to be difficult- I'm a hacker have nothing close to the smallest fraction of the skill set of a PGA golfer. They are playing a different game from me but I can appreciate what they do. Watch extreme games kids playing sports I never played and won't never be able to play at their level. Fun to watch but have trouble relating. See long distance sailboat racing as the first (consider those folks the pinnacle of racing sailors) and current AC as the second. just saying
never liked dennis connors either
Old 05-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The paid crews are indeed the best but they are also being paid to drive someone else's boat for our amusement. Some disagree, but I say they have no choice but to accept these risks that shouldn't be imposed upon them. The engineerring of these boats is flawed. It doesnt require turning the clock back a century to fix. Further, they aren't in this conversation, I did not mock them and the use of chauffeur was metaphorical not hyperbole.

The bathtub comment was specifically directed at the "cautious sailors on here", so we'll respond to it. I'm good with that.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-14-2013
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road

FWIW, The Americas Cup Organisers just released a statement that the games will go on:

America

Personally I'm on the fence on theses monsters, but looking forward to seeing them in 2 weeks while in SF.
chef2sail likes this.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 05-14-2013
Armchair Horn Sailor

Alden68 is on a distinguished road

To say that someone doesn't have a choice has to be an incredibly inaccurate statement. We all have choices to make and we make them freely every day, regardless of our profession.

Every athlete paid to compete in a spectator sport is there for our amusement. Are you saying that is bad?
Old 05-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden68 View Post
To say that someone doesn't have a choice has to be an incredibly inaccurate statement. We all have choices to make and we make them freely every day, regardless of our profession.

Every athlete paid to compete in a spectator sport is there for our amusement. Are you saying that is bad?
Technically, they have a choice. Practically, how do they turn down being crew on an AC boat? The opportunity may never come again. Damn the torpedoes.

All other spectator sports have made incremental efforts to be safer year upon year. Nothing bad about amusing us, we only owe them better than the risk of the AC 72s in return.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-14-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
FWIW, The Americas Cup Organisers just released a statement that the games will go on:

America

Personally I'm on the fence on theses monsters, but looking forward to seeing them in 2 weeks while in SF.
But why be on the fence? Bad **** can happen when any boat gets upside down. There was a 14 yo girl killed last year in Annapolis when her 420(or Laser or whatever) turtled while racing or practicing to race. Nobody thinks racing 420's(or lasers or whatever) is too dangerous.

As has been noted previously these guys are at the top of the sport and know what they are getting into. Rather that presuming they are coerced into sailing on these boats by the lure of money and fame, I presume they LIKE the challenge of sailing faster than almost anything on the water and the money and fame are nice perks. In short, I don't think anyone involved feels they are being sent to the slaughter.

I read some of these posts and am reminded of Aesop's Fox and the grapes.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 05-14-2013
Armchair Horn Sailor

Alden68 is on a distinguished road

You make a good point. However what if this wasn't for sport? What if this was a project to create a new breed of sailing craft and these men & women were pioneers. We would owe them nothing. Does that change because we call it a race and watch it on tv?
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by Alden68; 05-15-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
As I said before...this is exactly the problem...too much, too big, too soon. But I sure hope they don't abandon the cats or the format. They're on to something truly great.

(PS - I'm the bathtub sailor around here and don't you forget it!)
No way Steve.....I see your racing stripes

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden68 View Post
You make a good point. However what if this wasn't for sport? What if was a project to create a new breed of sailing craft and these men & women were pioneers. We would owe them nothing. Does that change because we call it a race and watch it on tv?
Great point. I actually think this is Ellison's mission - to push this event to a completely new place. He is, without doubt, pioneering the AC. I say good on him.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40