Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Very sad that someone died.. time will tell how that ultimately affects the format and venue if this historical event.

I get the 'one design' angle.. it's true that the AC has never really been about the best sailor(s) and more about developmental design - both below and well above the waterline. Not a big fan of the cats either but I think if you went to pure one-design that this event becomes 'just another match race' and would lose whatever lustre it retains.

Still, tough day today....
nolatom, SloopJonB, groggy and 1 others like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

I don't understand the title: "Another America’s Cup entry destroyed" There was already a cup entry destroyed? Is Artemis renouncing to the cup?

What was destroyed was a boat and sadly an human life.

I agree with faster. AC is mainly about design development more than anything else. It has been always about that. There are other match races with one design boats. There is even a World Match racing tour that is a kind of world championship raced in identical boats.

Regarding boat and sail development I cannot remember any edition as exciting as this one, with the development of wing sails and foiling. Pure beauty those cats flying away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I get the 'one design' angle.. it's true that the AC has never really been about the best sailor(s) and more about developmental design - both below and well above the waterline. .

I thought it was an international sailing competition where the country who can afford to hire the most Kiwis gets sailing bragging rights for 3 years.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I don't understand the title: "Another America’s Cup entry destroyed" There was already a cup entry destroyed? Is Artemis renouncing to the cup?
This is the second boat destroyed, Oracle destroyed their first
Old 05-09-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Sad day for sure. But I think they are definitely on the right track with the multis and the new format. I watched the entire AC45 World Series. It was really great stuff.

These 72s are absolutely bleeding edge. Stuff like this is part of the game...unfortunately. I don't think they should pull away from this direction...but I do think they ought to bring the scale of the big boats down some. It shouldn't just be about the first boat to break or fall over. That said, they'll figure it out.
jephotog, GMFL and Minnesail like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-09-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Just by the by - who are the designers of these things? I can't imagine that Farr, Peterson, Holland, Frers and all my other heroes are doing them.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-09-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

i'm divided. On one hand, I am extremely *PISSED* that a man, a olympic champion with a family no less, is dead. The billionaires that run this show (here's looking at you Ellison) will say some platitudes, but will NEVER do the honorable thing and cancel the event in order to figure out if they are putting other people at risk. After all, their egos must be salved. What ges me most is someone will inevitably stand up and say "We all have to go, and at least he died doing something he loved"....tell that to his kids and family in a decade or so when everyone has forgotten about the 2013 America's Cup and we're onto the next billionaire ego diversion.

On the other hand, pushing the boundaries of physics and engineering is what humans do. People have died in every endeavor...flight, rocketry, etc.

Still, I'm mostly angry that the only people that are left to pick up the pieces here are this man's family...for a blatant display of ego that this Americas Cup has become. The race is a joke...and I'm honestly not going to tune it. This was the last straw. Its been building, starting with the fragility of the Volvo boats and what that race has become too.
Old 05-09-2013

Tanley is on a distinguished road

To clarify, at the time of the original posting, a member of team Artemis was listed at the same URL as being in serious condition, not a fatality. The article has since been updated to reflect the loss of life which was not included in the initial reporting. The tragic loss is paramount here and I would not have posted the original thread had this outcome be known. Our thoughts are with the family and friends impacted by this tragedy.
Barquito likes this.
Old 05-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

This spectacular possibility of catastrophe is likely to bring more spectators. Consider that this could have happened when racing next to a competitor and taken them out too.

I'm not good with it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Just by the by - who are the designers of these things? I can't imagine that Farr, Peterson, Holland, Frers and all my other heroes are doing them.
Very good designers obviously among the greatest contemporary NA: Artemis is designed by JK, Oracle has an huge design team and I don't understand who is the main NA.

Team

Luna Rossa and Team New Zealand are designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Regards

Paulo
SloopJonB likes this.