Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
The tragic loss is paramount here and I would not have posted the original thread had this outcome be known. Our thoughts are with the family and friends impacted by this tragedy.
+1. My heart goes out to that family.

And I will also say this - knowing EXACTLY what these words mean - he died doing what he loved. There is a lot to be said for that. It does actually ease the pain somewhat.
FSMike likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-10-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2013

Morild is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Very sad that someone died.. time will tell how that ultimately affects the format and venue if this historical event.

I get the 'one design' angle.. it's true that the AC has never really been about the best sailor(s) and more about developmental design - both below and well above the waterline. Not a big fan of the cats either but I think if you went to pure one-design that this event becomes 'just another match race' and would lose whatever lustre it retains.

Still, tough day today....
I disagree with that. I think it was very much about the crew in the 12 metre days. I would really recommend everyone reading "Born to win" of John Bertrand, describing how they (He and his crew) won the cup in 1983. (I know this is very much a U.S. forum, so sorry for bringing that race up )

Yes they had the wing-keel, but I believe it is safe to say today, that was not the reason for the victory.

Anyway, I loved to watch the 12 metres. I don't watch AC anymore, but would definately if they brought those gracious boats back.
What a sight to see them going to windward in heavy wind and seas
Old 05-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This spectacular possibility of catastrophe is likely to bring more spectators. Consider that this could have happened when racing next to a competitor and taken them out too.

I'm not good with it.
Yeah, it seems they've finally figured a way to try to take sailing Mainstream...

There's a reason why the two races NASCAR runs each season at Talladega are right up there with Daytona in terms of 'popularity'...

As we saw yet again last weekend, this is it:

This is particularly saddening to me, as I've always thought that the best thing that could happen in America to attract the general public's interest to sailing, and the America's Cup in particular, would be to have San Francisco Bay as the venue... There's not a more spectacular, or spectator-friendly sailing venue anywhere in the world...

The most spectacular sailing conditions the Cup has ever seen, was when the Doctor came calling off Freemantle... Watching those old videos of those boats racing in 25 knots or more, 5-6 foot seas, it was some awesome stuff... Only problem was, it was so far offshore, nobody could watch it other than on TV... SF Bay certainly has the potential to match those conditions, but with the added bonus of a gigantic natural amphitheater with one of the world's most beautiful cities and harbor as a backdrop, and the ability to set turning marks literally within a stone's throw of spectators on shore... I've shot a few Big Boat Series years ago in the Bay, the visuals are absolutely spectacular, everywhere you look, no venue could be better made for television...

Call me old-fashioned, but the remarkable history of America's Cup racing speaks Tradition, to me... the switch to multihulls is disappointing, but of course perhaps that's just me...
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 05-10-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

My traditional heart yearns for the 12-meter days of the 50s and 60s, not least because I grew up around, and worked in, a boatyard that built two of the last wood 12s, both beautiful and faster than their records (Easterner and Nefertiti).

And my heart is with one-design racing in identical boats and rigs, I never enjoyed figuring out who owed who time. I wanted to know if I was faster right then, and what place I'm in right then. So one-designs and frostbiting in small identical dinghies against the best of the summer competition who couldn't outspend poor me, was the best winter (or anytime) fun.

That said, I think the Cup has always been the "space program" of sailing, where new designs and materials get dreamed up, tried out, and eventually (some of them) become mainstream. The risks in sailing are less than in the NASA space program, but the same attitude and outlook applies--the rewards are worth the risks, or they have been so far, in space. Now we have to see if they are too, in sailing.

Final idea. If I don't like the drag-race cats and wish they'd race boats that could actually tack, then that's good reason to continue on with the cats. I'm usually too much of a traditionalist and should not be listened to regarding "progress", including here.
Old 05-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morild View Post

Anyway, I loved to watch the 12 metres. I don't watch AC anymore, but would definately if they brought those gracious boats back.
What a sight to see them going to windward in heavy wind and seas
What heavy seas? Actually these boats can sail with more wind. Lot's of races cancelled for excess of wind with the last AC monohulls, I mean over 20K i know , I was there

Last edited by PCP; 05-10-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
What heavy seas? Actually these boats can sail with more wind. Lot's of races cancelled for excess of wind with the last AC monohulls, I mean over 20K i know , I was there
Yes yes ok, everything is relative
I will rephrase then: Love to sea them going to windward in 20 knots of wind and seas to go with that.

Was there.. Like, on board?
Old 05-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes yes ok, everything is relative
I will rephrase then: Love to sea them going to windward in 20 knots of wind and seas to go with that.

Was there.. Like, on board?
I would have loved that. No, I mean in Valencia seeing the races live. Some races were postponed for excessive wind.

Regards

Paulo
Morild likes this.

Old 05-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I disagree with that.....

Yes they had the wing-keel, but I believe it is safe to say today, that was not the reason for the victory....
Not the sole reason, certainly, but I believe it was a factor - psychologically even, if not pure performance. Obviously the boats were very close or it would have been a sweep.

In any event the AC has never been a 'pure one-design' situation by the normal definition..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Not the sole reason, certainly, but I believe it was a factor - psychologically even, if not pure performance. Obviously the boats were very close or it would have been a sweep.

In any event the AC has never been a 'pure one-design' situation by the normal definition..
Yes ok, but the phsycological part is for me a fair part about being "the best crew"

But I agree it was never a pure one design event, but it pushed some interesting innovation, maybe it still does. I am just not being thrilled by the whole "crazy-cat" thing these days.
Old 05-10-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Hate to say it but I agree with Paulo on this one. Purpose of a race is to go fast. Faster you go more races you win. Drives advances in design and materials. All to the good. However, as suggested in other threads and by earlier posts in this thread the AC and some other races at this level have increasingly less relevance to the average sailor. We are not likely to sail anything close to these boats and will likely remain in displacement or semidisplacement boats. We are unlikely to make use of rigid sails or hydrofoils. We may benefit from material advancements ( soft shackles, W+S hydro generators etc.) but it's gotten to the point when you watch the race you really don't know what's going on. In the "good old days" you could watch the AC and appreciate the tactitian,skipper, bowman etc. and relate to their decisions and skill. Now it's "oh wow look at that" which gets old fast.