Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Okay doubters, watch the head-to-head around 5:45 and try to tell me this is not the most incredible thing you've seen:

Holy crap, LR looks rock solid. This AC is going to be awesome.
Fstbttms, T34C and shadowraiths like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2013

QuickMick is on a distinguished road

Any of you guys going to be in the bay area for the races? my wife and I are thinking about heading up for some of it. Maybe we could plan some kind of get together?

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Man I wish we could. Seriously. I'd love to see that live. But I don't think we can swing it schedule-wise.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-14-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

It’s been a lot of fun watching the 72s practice on the Bay. Their closure speeds on you are incredible. We had one close approach on us at about fifty feet (we were on starboard). The level of seamanship is amazing. We haven’t looked closely at the AC race schedule yet so we haven’t committed to any specific dates yet but are looking forward to the actual races. (Watching the 45’s race was a hoot and a half!)
Old 06-14-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

The boats look incredibly fast and it is fun to watch.

The crew not so much. I realize these are the best sailors in the world and are probably great athletes off the boat but watching them swaddled in helmets and other protective gear and stumbling across the trampolines and randomly grinding on the coffee grinders, reminded me more of a special needs sporting event. I know most of these sailors have cat like grace, so I wonder what I would look like trying to make the 100 yard dash across the tramp to the other side?
Old 06-14-2013
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about

I think these boats are cool as hell, but can't help but notice a few things that may be problematic going into the AC. Cat's by nature sail fastest when flying a hull. These boats seem to need to be sailed more flat in order to foil. These two opposing concepts seem to make them difficult control.

They have wave piercing hulls (like a high tech Cat) but sail fastest when there hulls are not even touching the water... Makes me question the overall design concept.

With the VERY rapid acceleration that takes place when the boat goes up on foils it seems like its going to be difficult for these boats to sail too closely together while going around the course. That would conflict a bit with the concept behind racing these boats, in a near shore, spectator friendly environment.

Foiling was not in the original plan for these boats and I think it shows. My question is with the above points, is foiling going to make this AC better or worse???
Old 06-14-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
I think these boats are cool as hell, but can't help but notice a few things that may be problematic going into the AC. Cat's by nature sail fastest when flying a hull. These boats seem to need to be sailed more flat in order to foil. These two opposing concepts seem to make them difficult control.
I am thinking the speed advantage from flying a hull is the decreased wetted surface as a result. I think the whole foiling aspect of these boats makes this a mute point. My guess is my 19 foot kayak has more wetted surface than these boats when foiling.

I went back to re-watch this video. It is amazing to watch them scramble back and forth obviously working some sort of lines. But I can't see a single thing moving on the sails. It looks like the jib may be self tacking and I can't detect any movement from the wing. It looks like they just start cranking on the winch and the boat steps up on the foil and takes off. Maybe they are not controlling lines with the coffee grinders maybe they are winding up a huge rubber band.

Even the tactics and the boat movements seem totally foreign to me. The only thing I could tell for sure was when the upwind foil went down they were going to tack.
Old 06-14-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

The AC race course is pretty narrow and given the tacking angles of the 72s, I think it will be one heck of a tacking duel both windward and leeward. Word on the Bay is Oracle is faster flat out foiling but Emirates is more “nimble”, faster in tacking and coming up on foil. Neither boat has a clear cut advantage over the other. Given the number of lead changes during the 45’s races, I think this series will be a nail biter up until the final finish.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 06-14-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Prior posts make it apparent we are going to have to learn a whole new lexicon to describe and understand what these boats are doing. It seems to have no similarity to the boats we sail. A primer on the controls and physics of these boats would be helpful. So far have just read brief descriptions in Sail and like rags. ?Can anyone supply a more detailed discussion. I believe all that grinding is to handle the foils and change the conformation of the main wing.
Old 06-14-2013
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I am thinking the speed advantage from flying a hull is the decreased wetted surface as a result. I think the whole foiling aspect of these boats makes this a mute point.
That is exactly the point. The way you sail a modern Cat seems to be exactly opposite of how you sail a boat on foils. Of course the idea is to decrease the wetted surface. That's the point to both flying a hull and foils. The issue is in how you get there and the two concepts opposing each other appears to make these boats very unwieldy and MAY make this racing less exciting than the 45's were. Either that, or its going to be like a NASCAR race where you just wait to see who's going to crash first.