Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morild View Post
But I agree it was never a pure one design event, but it pushed some interesting innovation, maybe it still does. I am just not being thrilled by the whole "crazy-cat" thing these days.
The problem with the AC monohulls was that while the boats should have represented the pinnacle of sailboat technology and speed they were in fact overall relatively slow boats. They were fast upwind but really slow downwind and they could not be sailed with strong winds.

I guess that conservatives had keep them that way for too much time and when they were overcome....the change for multihulls was inevitable.

The old AC monohulls, I mean the last ones, could be beaten in pure speed by several racing monohulls of the same size. The same cannot be said regarding the AC 72. They are the fastest sailboats around and that's how it should be in my opinion.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Sorry when you have to equip everybody with crash helmets and emergency air bottles NOT a go IMHP

While not OD it has for the most part been a box rule of some type

The sport is supposed to a match racing game of who has better tactics and can control the race

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
The sport is supposed to a match racing game of who has better tactics and can control the race
Then the boats should be exactly the same and obviously they are not.

That counts too but less than the design match, it is more of a design match than anything else.

On the last edition Oracle was so evidently superior in performance that Allinghy did not have any chance and for what I have saw the same will happen this year.

Did you saw the design team for Oracle? Have a look, they are more than the crew

Team

Regards

Paulo

Old 05-10-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

I don't count any of the stuff like the Dennis Conner 1988 catamaran defense as anything but a piss poor example for the sport
msmith10 likes this.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-10-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

i like one design racing but this is not the venue for that, there is a few year old transition of coming up with the highest tech boat and a crew to sail it hard and smart trying to take home the cup. That does not need to change.

Catamarans, disposable, boats, wind limitations need to go away. You should get one boat and if it cant handle the winds and waves you are out.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 05-10-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

When the ACC class boats replaced the 12's, several of the participants complained that the design was too light and the boats were too fragile. I was then reminded of the old saw about how the perfect racing sailboat is one that is built just strongly enough to survive to the finish line. Light weight, big sails, wins races.

I doubt we'll ever see the days when the boats from the last Cup races compete again. Can you imagine any boat today repeating what Intrepid and Courageous did, winning the cup in consecutive campaigns? Those boats weren't just the fastest boats of their day, they were durable. You can still charter them today. Many of the boats we see racing for the Cup this year will likely be piles of scrap before the end of the competition, and none will be design-competative fifteen minutes after the last race.
Old 05-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morild View Post
Yes ok, but the phsycological part is for me a fair part about being "the best crew" .
But wasn't that exactly the reason the Americans won the original cup? They put the money and strategy into the boat. And it beat the immensely talented traditional English crews of that day. From the very prescient Wired article on the Oracle crash...

Quote:
The origin myth involves Queen Victoria watching a winner-take-all race around the Isle of Wight between a Yankee schooner named the America and 14 of the best boats in Britain — including the cream of the elite Royal Yacht Squadron. When a lookout spied the America coming toward the finish line in first place, the Queen asked who was in second. The answer: “Ah, Your Majesty, there is no second.”

The America won because its owners experimented with novel nautical technologies and spared no expense in building it (some things never change). In the 19th century, a ship in private hands that could beat the best that the British had to offer was something extraordinary — an example of private money rivaling the power of a great nation. The Cup has been a totem to tycoons ever since.
The Boat That Could Sink the America's Cup | Autopia | Wired.com
chef2sail likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-10-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I would like to see the AC go back to a competition between countries and not corporations. In recent years the idea that these are national boats is nonsense. It is one rich guy's company against another's with the key question being who can afford to buy the best Kiwi talent. Also the new developments have made it far too expensive for many countries, including NZ, to compete. Would be nice to see it go back to something cheaper and more national in character, not necessarily in 12s but something that did not look like a floating billboard. What about a rule that allowed monohulls to about 15 m with a course that required lots of course changes. Anything goes in terms of hydrofoils, wingsails, etc. Hope I am sounding curmudgeonly enough. BTW, I got to sail on an AC class boat in Auckland. They have a couple there for tourists and at certain times you can race. Sweet machines and awesome to steer but a lot of work. Four coffee grinders with eight admittedly out-of-shape tourists to pull the main up.
Old 05-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
But the most telling thing I heard while visiting the repair shop came from Coutts, the CEO. I asked him what would happen to the radical new wingsail design after the Cup was over. “No matter who wins,” Coutts said, “they are definitely going to make changes: make the boat smaller, bring the team budgets down, stuff like that.” In other words, the CEO of Team Oracle now acknowledges that the AC72 is an overreach.
Nuff said.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-11-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
I doubt we'll ever see the days when the boats from the last Cup races compete again. Can you imagine any boat today repeating what Intrepid and Courageous did, winning the cup in consecutive campaigns?
I want to go back the old days when you built the boat at home crewed it with people from your own country, sailed it to wherever the competition was taking place then sailed it back home.