Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Bounty Lawsuit Filed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
...The ship wasn't perfect but was legal and adequate for what she was doing aside from heading into a hurricane...
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

IMHP The good that will come out of it is the CG is going to be far less likely to let boats slip through the classification loophole this one did

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-10-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
James Wilson, as a lawyer can you comment this, I mean the possibility of a owner to be liable by the bad decisions of a captain?

Regards

Paulo
In this case, it appears the lawyer is proceeding under the Jones Act, the Death On the High Seas Act, common-law negligence and gross negligence recognized in admiralty/maritime law, and federal common-law allowing punitive damages.

Admiralty and maritime law are arcane specialities in the law. I claim no experience or expertise in this area. I also am not directly involved in personal injury or negligence cases. I have commented on this case as a recreational sailor, rather than as a lawyer.

Outside of maritime practice, negligent selection, negligent hiring, negligent instruction, and negligent supervision of employees and/or independent contractors are causes of action recognized in some jurisdictions. Principals are ordinarily responsible for the acts of their agents when acting within the scope of the agency.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 05-10-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I would think the rest of the crew will sue too. They all have a case to compensate for pain and suffering.

Quote:
"grossly overestimated, to the point of recklessness, Bounty's seaworthiness and overestimated his professional seamanship and weather forecasting abilities to the point of arrogant hubris."
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 05-10-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

As much as I dislike my lawyers, since they and their firm suck my dry. I think in the Bounty case, the lawsuit is justified. In the case of Rule 62, I don't think it is justified.

But this is just me. YMMV.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-10-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I knew one of the two attorneys on the complaint, from his time down here in New Orleans some years ago with an admiralty defense firm before heading to New York and plaintiffs' work. Both of them are New York Maritime Academy graduates and have sailed as merchant officers (one engineer, one deck) so they know what they're about.

I'm unaware if Bounty has filed a Limitation petition anywhere, but expect they would raise it as a defense in this New York action. Typically plaintiffs attempt to prove knowledge of unseaworthy conditions (in both vessel and crew) by those managing from shore, while defendants contend any negligence or unseaworthiness occurred "on board" and beyond their knowledge. Hence you see allegations that the captain here should have been replaced earlier based in part on his statements about hurricane-chasing, and the stated problems with hull and pumps were known ashore and not just by those on ship.
Old 05-11-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

As posted on another thread;
"Whether it's a sail boat, America's Cup yacht, commercial fishing boat, tug boat or mega-yacht; if you don't take the job, someone else will. Period. If it's your profession and you have a family to support, you will quickly be black-listed if you seek only the perfect boats. It doesn't matter whether you are cook or captain; there are hundreds of folks out there who will gladly take your position.
When the Bounty was lost many felt that something should be done. The company has been strangely silent; perhaps the captain was given little choice on when the boat needed to be in Florida?"
I am in no way saying the decision to sail the Bounty into Sandy was a good one, or that I would have done so under the same circumstances; in fact I would not, at the expense of my job; I am scared of hurricanes! I have been in quite a few and would never willingly do it again. Therefore we leave St. Thomas for Grenada next week.
But back to topic.
IMO $50 million is an obscene amount. To take the annual earning potential of a 42 year old woman times the number of productive years she would have had, might be a reasonable amount, especially if her daughter was the mother's sole support, which I doubt she was. The mother made a statement soon after the incident, that at least her daughter died doing something she loved. Now she's diminishing her daughter's memory IMO, for money; do you think the daughter would approve? I wonder how $50 million dollars will make up for the loss of a child? A rather poor trade in my book.
It is almost impossible for an American to find a position aboard a non American flag vessel these days! The reason; we are too litigious. Even many of the mega-yachts out there today, owned by Americans, will not hire American citizens for the same reason. I know this for a fact, it is NOT conjecture. I am glad my professional career is winding down, for most of captain's positions I have had (that allowed me grand adventures world wide, while being paid, sometimes handsomely) would NOT be available to me today just because of my nationality. For instance, I was hired to run a motor yacht for the Queen of England on her silver jubilee visit to Papua New Guinea.
From the woman who knowingly put a hot cup of coffee between her legs while driving a car and collected millions to $50 million dollars for the loss of a child under admittedly tragic circumstances, we should not condone a continuation of this practice. Must every sailboat owner and/or captain carry around a release of liability contract and pen, to be signed by every person that even walks the dock or drives a dinghy near our boats? BALDERDASH.
Old 05-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I agree that the US tort system is designed by lawyers for the benefit of lawyers. It's not rational.

However, the claim amount may be unrelated to the actual awarded or settled damages. It's just a game of chicken right now.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-12-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

As Marcia Clark, Chris Darden or Gil Goretti about slam dunks in the US judicial system.

Cant get money out of the dead Captain and up to now the owner has taken the fifth amendment. So now we will find out how much the owner was at fault at least.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Criminal and civil courts are two entirely different beasts. OJ was found guilty in civil court.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.