Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Bounty Lawsuit Filed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
How can you call this overconfidence instead of incompetence or craziness?

Regards

Paulo
I tried putting myself in his shoes. He made 3 errors that day.

1.) He loaded the boat up with Navy sailors from a submarine in port and did a day sail around the harbor. The issue is the Bounty was not authorized to carry passengers. It's was Verboten. The ship was used strictly for shore based tours at ports of call. There would be consequences. This makes no sense.

2.) He made the decision to leave port that day. The Bounty was the only ship to go to sea as all others were battening down and preparing for the storm. This makes no sense.

3.) He also made the decision to head south directly into Hurricane Sandy, with the announced intention of changing his course to due west ahead of the storm until he closed with the coastline and then south again taking advantage of what would be strong northerly winds, putting him on a dead run. Why did he need this speed? Why did he think his leaky ship would make it? The NE quadrant of any hurricane in the Atlantic is the worse part of the storm. This makes no sense.

Think about it. this is a guy with decades of sea time. A guy who captained this tall ship for some 20 odd years. A guy who knew better. Why in the world would he do this?

We simply don't know. yet something had to occur to have him toss the experience of a lifetime at sea ending in the tragedy we are now discussing.

I don't think the guy was crazy, nor incompetent. Yet, he made 3 errors... that I know about...any of which would end his career....if he survived. Yet he was unconcerned about the consequences.

It sounds suicidal. There...I said it...

Was the Captain suffering from a terminal illness?
Was there a love triangle on board?
Was he going through personal loss? Divorce? Death of a child?
Was the Captain about to be fired?

I hope the investigation gets into this area.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 05-12-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
For example, if they have a recorded phone call from the owner that tells the Captain he will be fired on the spot and blackballed in the TSC, if he didn't set sail immediately, I would feel no differently about his willingness to put the other lives at risk for his own career.
Excellent point, well put. The captain is ultimately responsible, and an ultimatum from the ship's owners is no excuse for putting the lives of the crew at risk. Most especially given that this crew had no idea what risks they were getting into, and relied entirely on the captain's judgement.

A captain who would do that should not be a captain in the first place.
Old 05-13-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Well I just hope it closes the this boat is Not safe enough to go fishing or carry passengers BUT its OK to sail up and down the east coast with paid crew loophole

There is a similar loophole that allowed large tour boats on inland places like Lake George to kind of slide by the stability requirements until the Ethan Allen capsize killed a bunch of people and I am not sure exactly how it was taken care of

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-13-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I think Hansen owns this:

Islandaire - About Us

But I am sure he must an ironclad in place to protect his asset. In the end Bounty LLC will file bankruptcy, no personal money will be paid out and he walks.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-17-2013

Alaskagal67 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
For me personally, this case clearly shows how important it is for a crew member to keep in mind the condition of the vessel and the quality of the skipper before signing up for a voyage. In case of this particular voyage, what comes to my mind is: "WTF were they thinking?"
You have no idea what you are talking about. The crew was not aware of the bad rotting condition of the Ship.
Old 05-17-2013

Alaskagal67 is on a distinguished road

Regardless of all the different opinions here the fact is my cousin Claudene Christian lost her life on this ship. She lost her life because of a bad choice by the Captain and the owner to let the Bounty Sail into a storm such as Sandy. Did she know the condition of the rotting ship, I think not. As did most of the crew did not know a thing about the rotting frames. My cousin had so much more to live for and it was taken from her in the blink of an eye. He mother and father were left with the biggest hole in their hearts that will never ever heal. They lost their only child, she was their life. They lived their life for their daughter. Their love was so strong for one another. I now have to watch them be in pain every moment of the day because their baby girl is gone forever. No one deserves the pain they are going though. What do I say to them to try and make their hurt go away. Their is nothing I can do to make it all better. They just want their baby girl back that is all they want, they want one more hug, one more I love you mom and dad. I lost my most amazing cousin ever, she and I grew up together in Alaska and she was the best childhood memory I have. I will always hold her memories close to my heart. My cousin is gone and she is gone because someone wanted to save a ship. RIP my sweet cousin ,
Old 05-17-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Welcome AG67,

We are so sorry for your loss, we understand and we are on the same page.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-06-2013

kayak is on a distinguished road

I thought this was interesting.

HMS Bounty Organization, LLC v. Prokosh, et ano.
More Sharing ServicesShare |
Claimants: Chris Barksdale and Adam Prokosh
Petitioner: HMS Bounty Organization, LLC

Case Number: 2:2013cv02547
Filed: April 26, 2013

Court: New York Eastern District Court
Office: Central Islip Office
Presiding Judge: Sandra J. Feuerstein
Referring Judge: Arlene R. Lindsay

Nature of Suit: Torts - Injury - Marine
Old 06-06-2013

kayak is on a distinguished road

Apparently, there are three cases. Barksdale has filed two.

Barksdale v. HMS Bounty Organization, LLC et al
More Sharing Services|
Plaintiff: Christopher Barksdale
Defendants: HMS Bounty Organization, LLC and Robert E. Hansen

Case Number: 2:2013cv02896
Filed: May 16, 2013

Court: New York Eastern District Court
Office: Central Islip Office
Presiding Judge: Joanna Seybert
Referring Judge: A. Kathleen Tomlinson

Nature of Suit: Torts - Injury - Marine
Cause: 28:1331 Fed. Question
Jury Demanded By: Plaintiff
Old 06-06-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I would think all the crew will claim.

USA is too easy to get money out of incidents like these, but these people have been put to a fair bit of emotional suffering.