Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By blutoyz
  • 3 Post By bljones

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Turn-key boat

So last year we purchased a new-to-us 1989 boat. For her age, she is in very good shape. Described as 'sail-away condition'.

Last year we had to replace or repair a few things:
  • auto-helm - replaced
  • sails - repaired
  • head - replaced
  • fuel gauge - added
  • anchor rode (line and chain) - replaced
  • traveler sheets - replaced
So far this year:
  • swim ladder - modified
  • 2 stanchions - repaired
  • lifelines - replaced
  • binnacle compass - replaced
  • depth sounder / transducer - replaced
  • anchor roller - replaced
  • cutlass bearing - replaced
  • topping lift - replaced
  • boom sheaves - replaced ( - about $200.00 for front and back sheaves!)
Maybe next year:
  • stackpac (or at least lazy jacks) - added
  • bimini raised and/or modified for height - repaired
  • garhauer traveler - added (to replace existing)
  • etc.
  • etc.
  • etc.
So much for sail-away!
My target is to book my launch for next Wednesday or Thursday. Then it will all have been worth it!

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Turn-key boat

Sail-away condition does not last long. Not even for new boats. The marine environment is extremely harsh. We should be happy that stuff like electronics lasts as long as they do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-10-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

None of that kept you from "sailing away" (depending on the sail repair needed) so I would say you have a turn key boat

Congrats on your scheduled splash and fairwinds
bljones likes this.
Old 05-10-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Congratulations you bought about as pristine as you can get, nothing major in two years. The expensive stuff is yet to come, keep your fingers crossed and service the anchor winch more often than you think necessary, I just replaced mine. .

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-10-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Y'know, there's two ways to look at the image at the top of the page- it's the "hole in the water" cliche or "hey, look, the lake's farting cash!!"

It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 05-10-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Alrighty then! It's definately a labor of love.

Old 05-10-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road

It had a key and it turned? It's always possible you read the ad wrong....turkey?

Gotta say, like the others, that it sounds pretty typical for any "turnkey" boat. I'm currently selling my Catalina 309, and while there's less wrong with it than the boat you bought, I'm selling it because I'm tired of the hassle and expenses you're experiencing.

Boats eat money. If you work on it yourself, they eat time and money. Yeah, I know you know that.

Last year on my 2007 boat, the rudder bearings failed, so I had to haul her and do repairs. Catalina had really botched the original rudder installation, so it was a beast to fix.

My new 19 footer will have a transom hung rudder, no electrical system, and a dependable little porta-potti.

There's more than one way to sail.
Old 05-10-2013

docon48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
My new 19 footer will have a transom hung rudder, no electrical system, and a dependable little porta-potti.

There's more than one way to sail.
I agree. Small and simple allows for more time actually sailing.

Old 05-10-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

If I might actually disagree with some... YOUR idea of "turn key" is likely different than theirs.

I assume the worst... if they say it's "sail away" condition... I assume that it'll get out of the slip under sail power alone (motor dead), but after that it may sink...

The prior owner of one of my boats, billed it as "well maintained, with new cushions, all new running rigging as of 2009, new standing rigging, new harken traveler, all teak had 7 coats of 'varnish.'" Well MAYBE most of that was pretty true...

What I experienced? The boat had been painted 15+ years ago and was peeling and flaking. The bottom hadn't been touched in 6+ years. The boat hadn't been sailed but 4 times in 10 years. The NEW traveler was a VERY nice new harken midrange, but the car had no blocks on it, and the "control" was lines tied to the center toggle (1:1). The knot meter didn't work right (and it was "just rebuilt"). The standing rigging WIRE had been replaced, but none of the chainplates, toggles or tangs had been replaced. The aforementioned varnished teak included the bulkheads (good), but the bulkheads are soft, and likely need replaced. The running rigging might have been new 2009, but in 4 years they had sat out uncovered and were bleached good, and were too heavy for the boat (sized as original, and could easily go down a notch in size on every one).

He also touted the winches having just been serviced (with general grease), and were "quiet." OK.. they were.. but of course that's not really the best way to service the winches.

I bought the boat anyway, and haven't regretted a thing. He was a super nice guy, and he just had different priorities than me. The cushions were stellar on this race boat...

OH and the "sails that were still crisp," were original 1980s vintage sails. It's all good, EYES WIDE OPEN.. as they say.

As for others that say new boats have the same/similar problems. ABSOLUTELY... the 2 new ones we purchased, we had tons of "tweaks" and changes that had to be done, including a wild rigging of a wheel (backwards), a persnickety diesel engine that would not start, and a goofy way to configure shrouds.

I nearly bought a brandy new Capri 22 on a trailer (it had sat for 3 years with the dealer)... The day I looked at the boat, it was raining (not drizzle)... the cabintop was open (for god knows how long, water pooling on the floor)... the trailer had been backed into a hill and busted the taillight... and I am quite sure they had the lowers and uppers connected to the wrong chainplates.... I'll leave the marina's name out of it, because they ALSO were great people, and sold nearly 99% powerboats... and the boat was significantly reduced from "as new" pricing.

Expect pain/expense with your boat, new or old (granted old generally means more recurring expense), and you won't be disappointed. If you bought something because it was a "deal," you aren't paying attention - boats cost money to maintain, own, and operate... and here's the shocker... the harder you use whatever boat, the more likely it is you'll find problems. Actually the sooner you find them an eliminate them the better.