Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
Re: buying advice?

There used to be a interesting collection of boats in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Boats brought over accross the Atlantic and retiring charter boats (for tax purposes). Worth a check. how big a boat can you handle? I think you should consider under 44 ft.
Cal-29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Just about any boat should have sufficient needs and wants to satisfy your urge to tinker, repair, maintain, and improve.

Bigger and smaller boats have a variety of pros and cons that you might not have thought about much yet. Bigger boats for example, will probably have more motion comfort at sea -- but the design also plays a huge part. On the other hand, bigger boats tend to have deeper draft, which will prevent you from exploring some places or entering some ports of refuge. And, the higher "air draft" of bigger sailboats will limit your access to the Intercoastal Waterway and some harbors and ports. Slips are more available in some sizes than others, varying with location.

And, two boats of the same size could vary radically in terms of useful stowage space, robust construction, useful handholds and safety features, etc.

Finally, mistakes tend to be more expensive and "forceful" on larger vessels. The good news is that sailing basics can be learned on cheaper, slower, other people's boats -- sailing schools, crewing for other sailors, sailing clubs and co-ops, etc. -- and then transferred to your bigger boat.
Old 05-10-2013

Chartreuse is on a distinguished road

I got a 26' Grampian for you to buy! Im joking, I keep. But I second JonBs notion of buying the smallest boat that fits your needs, not the largest you can manage.

In addition, $160k will get you into a fairly nice Fountain Pajot, or smaller Lagoon. Cats are stable, roomy, and shallow drafting.
Good luck, sir.
Old 05-11-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

One thing to consider there is more than twice the boat when you double the size. So there is a big difference between a 50 footer and 100 footer, although I have only been on one boat bigger than 45'. Just a guess on my part but parts for a 50 footer would be 4 times the cost of a 25 foot boat.

A 70' 160k fixer upper might take another 200k to fix up and a few years. Also a newbie crew or most any crew will not be able to handle a 70' boat. You might want to get started on the family to populate the boat and raising a crew.

In all serious though sounds like you have the money, time and probably knowledge to make this happen. If I had $150k to spend to see the world on a boat I would buy this
1990 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

and go now. Or if you just want to explore the coast for now buy this.
Springline Yacht Sales, LLC (Mystic, CT)

and go now. You can't go wrong with a boat built by Pacific Seacraft, although there are plenty of others in this style to choose from, I just really like PS boats. Don't buy the boat for your eventual family because you will have to find or hire crew to sail it. You could maybe also go to boats in the mid 40' range. At 38' and above consider yawls, ketches or cutter rigs to break down the sails into smaller bite size pieces. More sails means each sail is smaller and more manageable for a small crew.

Go small go now.
34crealock likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-11-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

There is a huge difference between a 50ft boat and a 100ft boat. A 100ft boat in your price range would probably be in such a poor state of repair that you'd be a slave to the boat for years, trying to put things right. Boat size is something personal, but something to consider is how much time you'll need to put in to keep up your boat. A 50ft boat is a lot of work to maintain. A 100ft boat is a full-time job unless you plan on having paid crew to do the work. Then there's the colossal amount of money you need to keep a 100ft boat going. If you plan on cruising with your wife and enjoying new places, perhaps a smaller boat is more practical. Do you want to spend your time in port chasing down parts, fixing, painting, polishing, washing etc. or exploring new places and sampling the local wines and food? For some, the trade off for a big boat is acceptable, for others it's not. Anyhow, just something to think about.
Old 05-11-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I always admire this 100'er. But it's a whole lotta boat for two people. Halcyon - charter classic yacht, sailing holiday, luxury charter yacht, UK
Old 05-11-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

A 100 foot boat in your price range will no doubt be an oldy. One thing I have noticed is that older bigger boats had less internal volume than newer smaller bigger boats. But then I do like this. yachtworld.com/boats/1990/Mahmut-Galiseli-Shipyard-Gulet-2600409/Croatia#.UY4_WEoZOdo

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 05-11-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-11-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

The reality is that there are a great many boats in the 40 to 50 foot range that would meet your needs and if the people on this board were to suggest six suitable ones there would be a hundred others that would be missed. Time spent on yachtworld.com using different search parameters is well worth it since you can see what style of boat appeals to you: rig, hull material, interior arrangements, general aesthetics, etc. Also, it makes considerable sense to talk about displacement rather than length since two fifty footers are hugely different if one is 12 tons and another is 25 tons.

Seems like you are in a good situation with six on/six off. We met an Aussie in Tahiti who worked in the mines for 5 weeks on and 5 off. When his shift ended he hopped on a plane to his boat. If you six months you could do some serious cruising since in areas with tropical cyclones (eg Caribbean and much of the South Pacific) you have to leave the area for many months at a time.

If you have to ask about maintenance of a wood boat you don't want one. Stick to fiberglass, steel, or possibly aluminum although the latter are rare outside France.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 05-11-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
There is a huge difference between a 50ft boat and a 100ft boat. A 100ft boat in your price range would probably be in such a poor state of repair that you'd be a slave to the boat for years, trying to put things right. Boat size is something personal, but something to consider is how much time you'll need to put in to keep up your boat. A 50ft boat is a lot of work to maintain. A 100ft boat is a full-time job unless you plan on having paid crew to do the work. Then there's the colossal amount of money you need to keep a 100ft boat going. If you plan on cruising with your wife and enjoying new places, perhaps a smaller boat is more practical. Do you want to spend your time in port chasing down parts, fixing, painting, polishing, washing etc. or exploring new places and sampling the local wines and food? For some, the trade off for a big boat is acceptable, for others it's not. Anyhow, just something to think about.
There have been a couple of Ocean 71's in local waters. I was drooling over one from the dock one day when I realized there wasn't a single piece of hardware on deck that would cost less than a days pay. A single turnbuckle would be $hundreds and there were nearly two dozen of them (it was a ketch). Just a toggle on one of the shrouds would have cost $100 at least - they must have been 5 Lbs of S/S each. Any of the sails would cost as much as a decent cruising boat of a sane size.

The thing was a ship, not a boat. The forces involved when the sails were loaded must have been staggering.

The move to 100' would double everything again. It would take a 7 digit expenditure every year to keep a 100' going.
copacabana and davidpm like this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-11-2013
KPS'08

KPS'08 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the advice, links and help. I've got 8 boats ranging from 38-62' that I've inquired about. I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks again

Tags
buying , buying a yacht , buying my first boat , live aboard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.