Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: buying advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
There have been a couple of Ocean 71's in local waters. I was drooling over one from the dock one day when I realized there wasn't a single piece of hardware on deck that would cost less than a days pay. A single turnbuckle would be $hundreds and there were nearly two dozen of them (it was a ketch). Just a toggle on one of the shrouds would have cost $100 at least - they must have been 5 Lbs of S/S each. Any of the sails would cost as much as a decent cruising boat of a sane size.

The thing was a ship, not a boat. The forces involved when the sails were loaded must have been staggering.

The move to 100' would double everything again. It would take a 7 digit expenditure every year to keep a 100' going.
+1 Jon! And even if the money is no problem, there is the time involved to keep up the boat (either doing the work yourself or administrating the crew and repair people). Some of the wisest words I have ever heard was from a cruiser on a 40 something boat who said that if it weren't for his wife (who wanted certain luxuries), he'd own a 28ft cruiser that he could anchor in new ports and forget about as he travelled inland. If he lost the boat on a reef he could just buy another one and keep going. The stress level when you have a huge chunk of equity tied up in your boat is terrible- you cringe with every docking ding as you get out the cheque book. There is a lot to be said for going smaller!
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 05-11-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

That's what I'm currently doing. I sold a 10 metric ton Columbia 43 last fall and I'm picking up my "new" Fortune 30 - 5 tons - next week. I won't need to rustle up crew to go out for an evening sail and it won't take an hour at each end to get going and put it to bed.

Years ago every survey of experienced cruisers said 35'-40' was the optimum for long term use.

I have learned through personal experience that they were right.

Big boats are very seductive and exciting to sail but they can quickly become effectively a small business to own & operate.

A business that incurs a major financial loss every year.
copacabana likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the new boat Jon! Post some pics if you can.
Old 05-11-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Congratulations on the new boat Jon! Post some pics if you can.
Will do, once she's officially mine.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-11-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS'08 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice, links and help. I've got 8 boats ranging from 38-62' that I've inquired about. I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks again
I'd strongly suggest you try to get some time hard sailing time aboard a boat over 50' before seriously considering a boat of that size...

There is a HUGE exponential discrepancy between the bottom and top of your size range... 38' is not too far from the maximum size boat I, personally, would ever care to own... And, I've passed on doing a delivery of a 62-footer, simply because that is way more boat than I care to be responsible for offshore, and sailing boats that can produce forces so in excess of my own physical ability to manage simply frightens me...

Not to mention, do you really think your girlfriend would be up to handling a 62' boat by herself? Because, that's what it might come down to some day in an emergency, and chances are when conditions could be difficult... Always surprises me, how many cruising couples seem to overlook the significant risk being taken, by getting into a size of boat so far beyond the ability of either partner to handle alone...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-11-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Tags
buying , buying a yacht , buying my first boat , live aboard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.