SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sail for a escape cha cha (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99367-sail-escape-cha-cha.html)

Cinco 05-10-2013 03:33 PM

Sail for a escape cha cha

Hello, I am looking for a sail for an Escape cha cha. They were made briefly in 1999. They were plastic injection boats. I have found a couple for the rumba and captiva, but they are too big. If you have one or know where I might find one, please let me know. I did not find a for sale/wanted section of this board. I looked into having one made, but they maker would need the dimensions and I don't have one or find one to get the dimensions. The life expectancy of these boats was 15 years, mine was stored indoors out of the sun so it is still in great shape. I need to find someone that left theirs outside, but kept the sail in the basement! ha ha. Thanks for any help, please email me at jbrooksnfp at hotmail . com if you have any info on one.

svHyLyte 05-11-2013 09:12 AM

Re: Sail for a escape cha cha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinco (Post 1028355)
Hello, I am looking for a sail for an Escape cha cha. They were made briefly in 1999. They were plastic injection boats. I have found a couple for the rumba and captiva, but they are too big. If you have one or know where I might find one, please let me know. I did not find a for sale/wanted section of this board. I looked into having one made, but they maker would need the dimensions and I don't have one or find one to get the dimensions. The life expectancy of these boats was 15 years, mine was stored indoors out of the sun so it is still in great shape. I need to find someone that left theirs outside, but kept the sail in the basement! ha ha. Thanks for any help, please email me at jbrooksnfp at hotmail . com if you have any info on one.

Contact (Click on) Escape Sailboat Parts

Cinco 05-13-2013 09:53 AM

Thanks for the info. I talked with them last year, and they never stocked parts for the cha cha, only the other models. They still have one for the next model up, but it would be too big for the mast.

Michael K 05-13-2013 10:15 AM

Not sure where you are located, but various used sail vendors may be worth a look. Minney's, Bacon's, Sail Traders, Masthead Sailing Gear, Mauri Pro ... you get the idea.

miatapaul 05-13-2013 01:44 PM

One picture I saw on the internet looked like the sail was made by North Sails, you might check with them.

Or get a blue tarp and a sewing machine! ;-)

Cinco 05-16-2013 02:04 PM

Thanks for the help. I tried all of the used sail places, not a one was able to find anything. I worked backwards, tracking down the guys who developed and made these boats, and where they worked now. Ends up one works at Northsails. First they said it was highly unlikely they would have anything to help. Then they got back with me and someone has found the dimensions and design for the sail. One is being made and I should have it in about 6 weeks. Through the track of emails, I would say they really went out of their way to help me find one.
Alls well that ends well!

krisscross 05-16-2013 04:49 PM

I think the easiest thing to do would be to buy a used small windsurfing sail (4.5 m should work) and have it trimmed to size based on the mast height. The windsurfing sails slide over the mast in a sleeve, which is the same system the cha cha is using. Cut it to length and have the bottom trimmed on both sides with sail tape. You will want to reinforce the corners for the down haul and out haul lines with some extra sail tape if the sail ends up losing them. Or reuse the corners that came with the sail by stitching them in the new corners. If you decide to go that route let me know. I have some extra windsurfing sails for cheap.

herbc 06-23-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

I have just what you are looking for: boat stored outside. Sail stored in the basement. Purchased new in 2000. Used only a couple of times. Make me an offer for the sail. Keep in mind shipping from PA. PM me at herbcohen at gmail dot com.

Thanks.

herb

Juliamacd 09-08-2013 05:00 PM

Hi I have a cha cha escape for sale if you are still looking great condition Stirling scotland based if interested my number is 07749304135

SunnyDon 10-06-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

I have a brand new sail for an Escape Cha Cha. $100 if you are interested let me know.
SunnyDon