Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road
Re: Just bought a boat.

Congrats. Nice boat. This could be the start of something big. Boat trailer bearings famously crap out at in opportune times. Make sure they are well greased. Jack the trailer and spin the wheels to make sure the bearings are quiet, not rumbling. Any doubt, replace, repack with grease. If they overheat and seize they will be a nightmare.Make sure tire pressures are good and get a spare wheel/ tire. Enjoy the ride.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Having the trailer and a place to store your boat over the winter is great. Having it at home is a great advantage in getting winter projects done too. I'm jealous.

No chance you can put a hitch on your current vehicle for the money? I don't think you will need much for a boat of this size, particularly if it is on a properly balanced trailer and you're not pulling it up a launch ramp. The whole lot probably weighs around 4000 lbs? A big variable is whether the trailer has its own brakes. You can usually baby a tow vehicle and take it slow, if its underpowered for the haul, its stopping that you need to worry about.

Keep tolls in mind for your trip. They won't break you, but will add up when towing a trailer. It's essentially like having two cars. I'm guessing the NYS thruway and NJ turnpike are the bigger nuts.
bljones likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-11-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I live trailerable...
Couple things... not trying to scare you...
Before you leave... Check the safety chains (mounts, clasps)...
Check lights (I know most times they never work, but sometimes you get lucky and the prior owner did their diligence).
If it has brakes make sure they don't lock (cause that is scarier than not working believe it or not, especially at this size).
Check the tires (look for dry rot... don't move the boat if it has a lot of cracks in the tires, you are going 400 miles not 400 feet).
when you hitch up, if it has a dolly, verify that you cannot remove the hitch from the ball by lifting the trailer while hitched (this should simulate force on the ball)... its a test I always do...

Since this is a NEW TO YOU trailer... for the first 10, 20, 40, 100 miles feel the bearings to check if they are getting hot (careful, don't just grab them, they could be REAL hot - if they are you need to wait for them to cool before moving out, if they are burning hot, you may want to consider replacing bearings before moving it more). If it has bearing buddies, bring a grease gun with you, and grease them before you leave, then maybe you can avoid them getting hot for this trip. Watch the wheels while you trailer, look for wobble (can you tell I've had a few bearings go?).

Check ALL LINES before you leave. Make sure the bow is tied to the trailer (downforce, not just winch strap to bow eye)... also check that the stern is tied to the trailer, both sides...

If the outboard is on the stern, please remove it. Usually on 22 footish trailerables... the motor gives a lot of counterbalance to the boat (and bouncing on the road can put WAY more force on that motor mount than it was designed for). You want 10-15% of total up weight on the ball.

Congratulations on the boat... you will have a blast! I want you to get it home safe and sound... and most importantly YOU and everyone else safe and sound. Trailer sailing is an option for those of us who cannot afford to "slip" all the time... it also allows you to TEST other waters. Give yourself LOTS of time to sail your new boat though, setup and teardown can eat into your sailing time, don't neglect it in your time to sail. IT WILL GET FASTER, but initially take your time, and consider it "part of the price to sail," for now.
bljones likes this.
Old 05-11-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Congratulations, its been a while since I have heard of this boat but when I looked at the picture I recognized the beauty of Carl Alberg's genius. Have fun with it, I'm jealous.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-11-2013

Pegu club is on a distinguished road

Congrats,
Me and the admiral just today had our first boat splashed, enjoy and have a bit to much fun,
1975 B24 #578
A slave to the wind
Old 05-11-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road

Congrats. Pretty boat! Classic Alberg lines....
Old 05-11-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
...the $1000 a marina would want for winter storage.
ouch. For 23'?

Old 05-12-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

there are marinas around here that charge less, but they do not let you work on the boat. Plus they have to unstep the mast to get it from their splash point to the yard due to low hanging electrical wires. Sadly due to the money here at the Jersey Shore, sailing is about dead and very few yards want anything to do with sailboats.. let alone sailboats that need maintance

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha