Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road
Re: New Crew

Wow, they are busy parents then looking after that lot. Never seen that many in a single brood.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Fabulous pictures ... and kind heart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-20-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Glad the little guys are making it.
Old 05-20-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Very cool.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-21-2013
Owned by Velcro

I think today is the day. We have taken them out every afternoon for the last few days to play and learn how to find bugs. I have been around the dock and boats catching spiders and things for them to eat and they are doing ok now and actually peck at bugs and not just open their beaks when they see one, hoping it would just hopp into the open door. One has already joined the outside birds a week ago, two are going hopefully today and then we just have the little guy left and he will probably saty with us for another week or so, till he has learned what he needs to know to fend for himself.
There are with this weather loads of bugs out there for them so I am not worried that they are not going to find enough to feed themselves, even though they are still a little bit clumsy. But they know where we are so can always come back for a take out meal whenever they feel like it.
Thanks for the kind comments folks.

Dr Doolittle

Now where can I get one of them big pink snails. Would make a great dink
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 05-21-2013

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

How cool would this world be with more people like you . . . extrapolate this out and a lot of world problems disappear . . .
Old 05-21-2013
Owned by Velcro

Just in case anyone is interested or ends up in a similar situation of having to feed little featherballs, here is the recipe for making the food for them.

two spoons of chicken based wet cat food.
Half a hard boiled egg.
two soons of ground thissle seeds.
one spoon of crushed dried meal worms.
then mix enough apple sauce into the mix to turn it into a paste.
I use those wooden coffe stirers as feeding sticks and they work great.
With that paste they get enough moisture to grow. Don't give them any water or other liquids.
All ya have to do then is feed them every 45 to 60 minutes from first light till sundown and you are on your way.

ATB

Michael

Old 05-21-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
two spoons of chicken based wet cat food.
Half a hard boiled egg.
Great, you're creating cannibal starlings!

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 05-21-2013
Owned by Velcro

Well starlings are mostly carnivores and eat bugs and worms with the odd bit of plant matter ,but when you raise them, they need a hig protein diet to grow and that mix works realy well.

Old 05-22-2013
Owned by Velcro

Well the guys are now the stars ( lings) of the marina. They have found out how to catch bugs but come around a couple or three times a day for a take out. I had one visit while I was up on a mast. I know I should have taken food with me up there, but didn't, so ended up with a chirping starling on my shoulder while doing the rigging work. I towed one boat out of the lift well with engine problems and the other guy turned up, sat on the head of the skipper of the sailboat till it was in its slip and then flew over to me when I was back on the right boat. They also visited the marina office this morning. I was out to my mooring to get some tools from the boat and when I came back, th guy in the slip next to Lindas boat was doing some brightwork and had a starling on his shoulder, waiting for me to get back.
They shore have the whole place wrapped around their little claws.

ATB

Michael