Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: New Crew

That's really neat, Michael. I suspect the other birds will soon be regular visitors after a while. It's amazing at how they've adopted you as their parents and yet, have also adapted to the wild environment as well.

Thanks for sharing this,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing these. A few years ago, a starling moved into our broken 4th-story apartment air conditioner. I didn't have the heart to evict him and he is now raising a large family in there. It's worth the occasional hot day in that room to have little friends hanging out there.

(But don't teach birds not to fear cats! Adorable pictures but if these guys are going back out in the wild, cats are prey.)
Old 05-31-2013

mbetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
Thanks for sharing these. A few years ago, a starling moved into our broken 4th-story apartment air conditioner. I didn't have the heart to evict him and he is now raising a large family in there. It's worth the occasional hot day in that room to have little friends hanging out there.

(But don't teach birds not to fear cats! Adorable pictures but if these guys are going back out in the wild, cats are prey.)
Starlings eat cats?
Old 05-31-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

We have 5 cats between us on the two boats and there just is not enough room to keep that lot all seperate all the time. I do understand what you mean but needs must and all that.
Anyway, I am happy to report that one of the 3 birds left has found new buddies at the far end of the property and now does not come back here to be fed. He has gotten the hang of catchiong his own food now and has two wild birds in tow with him the other side of the pond in the marina. Two to go.

ATB

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 05-31-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

And the daddy bird KICKS little baby bird out of the nest.

We had at least 4 birds' nest around our home this spring. Two up under the back deck, at least one in the gutter and one on a downspout under the eve. I really don't mind the little critters, and most of them poop away from the house.
Old 05-31-2013
Owned by Velcro

They are free to come and go as they please. The sooner they learn to fend for themselves the more time i get for the boat. The first weeks I had to stop whatever i was doing every 45 minutes to feed the guys. No I don't mind if they miss a meal because I am working on something, but a lot of the time they spot me and come to get me to feed them.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 05-31-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Our Starling-in-residence (Henry) is clearly having trouble evicting the next generation from the nest. The children are easily as big as he is now - I'm having trouble telling them apart - and they make quite a racket in our air conditioner.
Old 05-31-2013
Owned by Velcro

Err yes they are not exactly quiet birds. You should hear the rukus they kick of at 5 in the morning here when it takes a bit longer to get the food out to them.

Old 05-31-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Heh, cutest thread on sailnet I think
jimrafford likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Ferretchaser;1034009] I should have taken food with me up there, but didn't, so ended up with a chirping starling on my shoulder while doing the rigging work. /QUOTE]

Great thread!