Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013

LeFlaneur is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LeFlaneur
Participatory sailing holiday?

Hi All,

I've been searching the net looking for information on this subject but I haven't come up with much.

I'm looking to take part in a "participatory sailing vacation" -- if that's what it's called. In other words I would like to crew, sail in a new place, and improve my skills. I'm not looking for a sailing course that ends with a test and a sticker; I'm looking for a mix of training and pleasure that would make for a good short holiday.

I know these sorts of things must exist but I'm not quite sure how to search for them. Anybody know of anything? This could be anywhere -- New England, the Caribbean, the Great Lakes, the Chesapeake -- even Europe or Asia.

Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Participatory sailing holiday?

I understand there are several schooners in Maine that you can live aboard for a week or more and they will show you how to do as much or as little as your interested in along the way.

I haven't done it, but there are several Mainers here who may have a specific recommendation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-12-2013

LeFlaneur is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LeFlaneur

Thanks - I remember these schooners from Camden, but I always thought they were geared toward hauling tourists around, not actually crewing, but I'll take a look. There may be exceptions.
Old 05-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Camden is a hotbed for schooners, and I am familiar with the day tour ships. I know there is also what you are looking for up there somewhere.

Start a thread with Maine Schooner in it and you will probably draw our resident Maine posters to it like moth to flame.

Seriously though, Maine is one of the greatest sailing grounds I've ever been to. Albeit, restricted to mid-Jun through Aug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-12-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

Try looking up "singles sailing clubs". There's also a French-Canadian site called "Voile Abordable" that organizes charters in various places and you can sign up as singles or couples. With a name like LeFlaneur you might fit in well with them en français.
Old 05-12-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFlaneur View Post
Thanks - I remember these schooners from Camden, but I always thought they were geared toward hauling tourists around, not actually crewing, but I'll take a look. There may be exceptions.
I think most of these things are going to be geared towards tourists. The Portland Schooner Company does offer overnight trips according to their website and I believe you can crew if you want to, or sit back and drink.