SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Mooring ball too close? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99453-mooring-ball-too-close.html)

cthoops 05-13-2013 10:04 AM

Mooring ball too close?

Our boat was launched on Saturday and when we went to see it yesterday we noticed that the stern is rather close to the mooring ball behind us (I'd say our stern is within 6 feet). It's close enough that we couldn't tie our dinghy off of the stern. The marina said the ball behind us is unassigned so we could use an extra long painter to tie the dinghy off, but I was thinking of asking to be reassigned to a different mooring ball.

Am I worrying over nothing? This is our first boat, so I recognize that's quite possible! :) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

blutoyz 05-13-2013 10:12 AM

Re: Mooring ball too close?

The marina did not assign it so if they do it is up to them to assigne you a new mooring with proper swing.

jjablonowski 05-13-2013 10:20 AM

Many, if not most, mooring systems use a length of heavy chain attached to the mushroom or block, the end of which is then connected to the line that goes up to the mooring ball. The chain lies on the bottom, and if it is pointed in the direction of your mooring, it effectively moves the ground zero for its ball closer to your boat. (But once another boat is tied to that mooring, that boat's mass is enough to drag the chain on the bottom away from your mooring.)
This happened to me, and when the mooring service came to fix it, the guy just picked up the offending ball and dragged it away from my mooring. Problem solved.

zeehag 05-13-2013 10:21 AM

mt formosa was assigned to a ball with a power boat next to it---of course they hit--and all damages were to my formosa, before i bought her....do move and prevent this from happening to you..my po was a boat virgin, and didnt know any better--i took pix and sent to mooring co, but they did nothing about the mayhem insofar as relocation of the offending power boat, which was in with deep keeled formosa type boats--between a ct 41 and a formosa 41--only hit mine, was decent distance from the other ct....get to a place with the correct amount of swing for each involved boat. 6 ft doesnt cut it.

cthoops 05-13-2013 11:29 AM

There seems to be plenty of room to swing around. It was quite windy yesterday and we were turning quite a bit. :) It's just that our closest point to the ball behind us is around six feet or so. But that ball is going to remain unassigned. Maybe I'm obsessing over nothing. Or not. I don't know. Sigh.

blutoyz 05-13-2013 11:39 AM

No reason to stress if it remains vacant

Ferretchaser 05-13-2013 11:48 AM

Just use the dink to pull the ball away a bit. The chain should them keep it put with no boat hanging on it.

34crealock 05-13-2013 11:51 AM

As joe said if it has excess chain you might be able to yank it back away with your dink. Power boats and sailboats usually don't swing at anchor together. They will each react to wind and current in different ways. A deep keel sailboat should moor near other deep keel sailboats. When I pickup a mooring I generally back down on it to stretch it out and to make sure it is secure.:)

denverd0n 05-13-2013 12:02 PM

Please don't take offense, but just to be sure...

You don't have your boat excessively far away from your own mooring, do you? I have seen boats with 20' or 30' of line between their boat and the mooring pendant. No need for that much.

cthoops 05-13-2013 12:07 PM

No offense taken it all.

I'm not sure how many feet of line it's on (it's just the line that is supplied with the mooring), but it definitely doesn't look like 20-30 feet. I'll take a look at that when we're back there on Friday though.