Join Date: May 2013
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Weather Forecasts (Chesapeake in this case)
I am taking the boat out of Herrington Harbour North this afternoon and am a little bit perplexed by the forecast(s). I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light on this, as I always try to keep an eye on the weather.
- NWS says there is a small craft advisory in effect through late tonight from Sandy Point to North Beach. To my recollection, an SMA is triggered between 22-33 knot winds.
For this afternoon:
- Weather.com for Deale, MD, says 11-13 mph (9-11 knots) winds
- Windguru says 8-7 knots/gusting 11-13 knots (GFS), and 10-12 knots/gusting 13-14 knots (NAM). HRWe simply says 12-16 knots.
- Passageweather.com indicates 10 knots, dying off to 5 knots by 5pm.
As you can see, there is a good degree of contradiction here. Which model should I trust?
Also, given the circumstances, would you go out with a reef on a 30' O'Day 302 or just go full canvas?
Thanks for any insight!
Last edited by EuroboyDC; 05-13-2013 at 10:57 AM.