Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: 10' Porta Boat For Dinghy?

I am not sure what hardware originally came with the boat because mine had normal mild steel bolts with nuts for holding the seats on when I bought it. I replaced them with stainless spring loaded pins. My transom also needed to be rebuilt but as I always have lots of boat building stuff on hand it was not a problem. I got nice new collapsable oars from West (yeah they cost a lot). I DID NOT repaint her as I think one of the greatest deterrents to theft is to have your stuff look like crap while being fully functional.
The windage produced by the folded boat against the lifelines is much less of an issue than the previous nested 2-paw 9 dinghy on my foredeck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Mad, I did the same thing. Several times.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I really would love to see one in action. I keep reading about them and it seems to be one of those things that folks love or hate. Seems it would feel weird to have a "soft" bottomed tender. Kind of seems like the dive boat I went out on in Cabo, soft and squishy, not very confidence inspiring, but they seem to have a big following. There seems to be one that shows up on our local Craig's list all the time, but he wants over a $1000 for a 10 footer with sail kit and what not. Seems steep for used, even if it has only been used a few times.

I think ideally I would get a RIB but it will be out of my price range for a while. I just think it would be fun to get something you can really go fast in. The videos show these things going at a decent clip, but I can't think they really do well at speed.
Old 05-14-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Can anyone comment on the porta-bote's sailing characteristics?
Old 05-14-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I've used a 10' portabote for the past four sailing seasons (Great Lakes sailor). It's been very good for our purposes.

Pros: lightweight, strong and durable, good to row, large volume, can easily be stored out of the water on our deck, can be sailed (as a toy).

Cons: assembly/disassembly takes 15 minutes and some effort, storage on deck blocks some ports, seems tippy until you get used to it, can only accommodate a small outboard (not really a con for me, but some might think so).

The biggest issues for me are storage on deck, and rowability. I dislike dragging a dingy any distance, and I also hate having to use an outboard to go a short distance.

Captainmeme, you ask about the sailing characteristics. Not great is what I would say. It's a fun toy to play around with in an anchorage, but it's a pretty poor sailboat with its clunky and light lateen rig, and the need for side dagger boards. That said, it really is a lot of fun to play with. Sure beats motoring around .

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 05-14-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road

For anyone who wants to see one in action just go to Youtube and type in portabote... Tons of videos...
Old 05-14-2013

marcberoz is on a distinguished road

I used an 8' porta bote as a dingy for my 26' Nonsuch. It worked fine. We were able to transport 2 people, 2 folding bikes, oars, life jackets, gas tank, garbage, 5 gallon water container and other assorted stuff. It was tight but we got it all to fit. Ride was pretty dry. Used a 3.5 hp Nissan. With just me on board, I could keep the bote on a plane and steer just but leaning. Lots of fun! I did disassemble it on occasion when the weather was forecast to be snotty but mostly it lived in the water when underway. The 1st year I pulled it and found that it really slowed me down. I was alway adjusting the tow line so it wouldn't hunt. For the 3 following years I put the stern of the porta bote on the swim platform (kept a fender between the 2 transoms) and dragged the porta bote with its nose in the water. It towed very well this way and once we started doing this, we never disassembled it during the season. As far as rowing goes, I found that the sides flexed too much when I tried to put some power into my strokes. I ended up bolting on a strip of luan about 26" long and 3 inches wide at the gunnel to stiffen things up a bit.
Old 05-16-2013

luv4sailin is on a distinguished road

I've got a buddy who is a liveaboard and always on the hook, and he loves his. He has sailed up and down the East coast, outside, and to the Bahamas with it. He would not trade it for anything else. His boat is 35' but he had it on a 32' beforehand.
Old 05-16-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

I just came back from measuring the good ship Nauti Time. As much as I want to make a 10 footer work I have just over 11' from mast to RF, the 10' Porta Bote is 10.8' LOA. This might be too cramped to assemble on deck and then lower over the side. I'm now deeply considering the 8 footer which is actually 8.6' LOA.

Most of the time it will only be the 2 of us anyway, I'll just have to make multiple trips occasionally for guests...or really field test the capacity limit!
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 11-18-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

A neighbour has used his while living aboard on the hook, for decades. Loves it. Found him a newer one and he bought it instantly. He uses the double ended one, which unfortunately, they don't make any more. People with the transom model don't seem as happy with theirs.