SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   10' Porta Boat For Dinghy? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99484-10-porta-boat-dinghy.html)

swampcreek 05-13-2013 10:23 PM

10' Porta Boat For Dinghy?

After looking at all the possibilities it seems like a 10' Porta Bote might serve us best as a dinghy. Anyone have any experience with one of these used as a dinghy?

rbyham 05-13-2013 10:36 PM

Re: 10' Porta Boat For Dinghy?

I look forward to seeing responses. One of these came with a boat I bought two months ago . I have not yet assembled it but it appears should work fine. Hopefully others have more experience.

ScottyG24 05-13-2013 10:39 PM

10' Porta Boat For Dinghy?

We use one. If you google it you will see its pros and cons. Mostly pros. Bought mine used and use 3.5 O/B that pushes it very well. In brief its very light weight but yet roomy so no much hp is needed and its great to beach and easy to launch off a dock, davits etc. Its a little cumbersome folded up thought.

Frogwatch 05-13-2013 11:11 PM

I use an 8' porta-bote as a dinghy for my 28' S2 so a 10' one is prob about right for your 32' boat. The 8' rows very well even with 3 adult men aboard. It is easy to hoist aboard, It is easy to assemble dissassemble on deck. It stows along the lifelines.
This used porta-bote bought for $150 is dinghy experiment #5 after an inflatable, a hardshell nautilus, an inflatable kayak, a 2-paw 9 nesting dinghy so I have plenty of basis for comparison. I have NOT used a motor with any of them but your 10' will prob work well.

swampcreek 05-13-2013 11:43 PM

I've been doing tons of reading, I figured I'd float this out before buying one. So I'm probably going to try to find a nice used one until I get impatient and buy a new one then hear all the phrases like "I didn't know you were looking for one of those! My uncle has one like brand new that he'll let go for 5 sea shells and 2 shiney rocks!

I do have a sweet older 2 stroke 3.5 Nissan I picked up early this Spring, looks like it would be a good match.

Lake Superior Sailor 05-14-2013 01:48 AM

I used one and found that it takes up too much space stored, all the seats and deck parts plus oars have to be put below, too many bolts that can be lost and stern handles. Then the boat on life lines catches windage and blocks view. I have a compleat boat and the life line stainless rack for it: I need to sell...Dale

erps 05-14-2013 09:33 AM

We have a ten footer with a 4hp two stroke. It's been a very good tender for us. I still haven't decided if it's the tender I'm going to take when we go offshore though. It's a little tippy compared to a RIB. But it's been tuff, light, easy to row, easy to motor, stores decent, although as mentioned, storing the seats and the transom take up quite a bit of space compared to the neatly folded hull on the lifeline.

swampcreek 05-14-2013 09:52 AM

Right now we just have a hard plastic 9.8 Watertender I bought off craigslist as well as a glorified pool toy I bought online. We have used the Watertender for just messing around but it would be hassle to tow and we don't have davits. We have never used the pool toy, I blew it up once and then deflated it and stuck in in a military duffle bag. I then considered kayaks, even the modular ones but our space is just too limited and we would like the option of picking up passengers. So before I end up with a fleet of small plastic boats I think this Porta Bote is probably going to be our next buy.

mad_machine 05-14-2013 10:55 AM

I keep seeing this as "10' porta-pottie" for boat".

I think I need to stop letting my mind wander. I am looking fowards to what you find. Those are neat little boats

swampcreek 05-14-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1030003)
I think I need to stop letting my mind wander.

How do you think I get into all this trouble?:)