Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: USCG 2012 Boating Accident stats--"It ain't us?"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Statistics are tricky. Obviously there are many times more powerboats than sailboats. I have seen numbers like 13 million powerboats and 45,000 sailboats - that is like 290:1 ratio.
So if sailboat fatalities were at a ratio of 10:1 that is nothing to be happy about.

The numbers I saw here:

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/website...f/14boatus.pdf

indicate about 15 million boats, of which 1.7 million are sailboats, or around 11%

whereas the number of sailboat deaths from the 2012 CG stats is 27 of 651, or 4%

so I'm staying outta them open motorboats....... ;-) except in race committee work, it's safer there 'cause the sailboats protect us (aside from when they barge the start at the committee boat end).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
Looking out at the Wilmington bull and savannah rivers this weekend I would be hard pressed to believe it could be number of boaters going down overall. It still seems plenty crowded- of course if you used to see 35 boats a day- you aren't going to notice when it dwindles to a measly 30 a day- it will still just "feel" crowded.
I just know here in South Jersey, looking out at the Absecon Inlet between Atlantic City and Brigantine, before the economy tanked and gas went to $5+ dollars a gallon, you could walk across the inlet from AC to brigantine without getting wet due to all the boats.

now-a-days, there might be a dozen out there

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

You won't get any argument from me- I cant imagine that the increasing expense is drawing more folks out... I just sort of tune it out once I hit crowd overload- it goes from reasonable to way to crowded really quickly for me- its about a one boat difference and I never know if it'll be the 9th or the 90th boat that sets me off... It's definitely an area of black and white though. Better or worse...
Old 05-14-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I always point to these kinds of stats whenever we get into discussions about insurance. While all stats are tricky, and these certainly do not tell the whole story, what they do indicate is how very safe sailboating is. The real risks involved are exceedingly small.

Since insurance is about managing, or mitigating risk, it's instructive to consider what the actual level of risk really is.
Old 05-14-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

It would be nice if they had made some sort of attempt at standardizing their data (e.g., deaths per hours of use, etc.), unless I missed such when I looked at the linked site.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt