Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
USCG 2012 Boating Accident stats--"It ain't us?"..

It looks as though it's those damn "open motorboats" followed by personal watercraft, cabin motorboat, canoe/kayak and "pontoon", that have the highest casualty numbers:

http://www.uscgboating.org/statistic...tatistics.aspx

Click on downloading 2012 only, it's very long but the interesting pages (to me) are pages 6, 7, and 41, which are the Executive Summary (we executives can't be bothered to read long stuff) and the "Accidents by vessel type" page.

Good news!! deaths down by 13% over previous year.

No surprises--operator inattention and inexperience are the leading causes, then lookout, machinery failure, speed, navrules violation, alcohol use, wake, weather/hazardous waters, in that order. Alcohol use though 7th place, was by far the leading cause of death, double the next leader.

Total deaths 651, 286 of which in from open motorboat, 58 PWC, 55 cabin motorboat, 52 canoe, 44 pontoon, then it drops off. 3 types of sailboats (auxiliary, sail only, and "unknown") combined for 27.

There may be some page in there that tells you a ratio of deaths to the type of boat, but I suspect the sailboat crowd comes in safer than the bad actors in those open motorboats......

Perhaps you could ask your insurance company. They probably look at these numbers much more carefully than anyone else.

Now, that said, there are accidents caused by recreational craft to commercial vessels that don't show in the recreational stats. I handled one such at work last year. Gulf intracoastal waterway on a Sunday in Louisiana, two oil barge (loaded!) tows strung out in front of their towboats, approaching each other with a radio-agreed meeting arrangement when three idiot water skiiers towed by an (unidentified, and not for lack of trying) idiot ski boat with an idiot PWC tagging along, all overtook one of the tows then cut in front, then had their skiiers suddenly become idiot swimmers in front of both tows.

Tows hit the brakes but this ain't Nascar, it takes a long time to stop and cocks you off your "line" too when you go emergency full astern. But it gave boats just enough time to grab their very fortunate swimmers and skedaddle, though they hung on the sidelines just long enough to see the bow-to-bow collision between the tows before bugging out. That collision aspect was fortunate since the bow rakes are the only part of those barges where there ain't oil. So no spill, but a real fender-bender. now, that would have made the commercial vessel stats but not the recreational stats. So nothing in accident stats tells you the "whole story" but this one really could have made the news and in a bad way (deaths, big oil spill) if things had gone wrong.

Anyway, hope the stats are interesting, and might provoke a discussion?

Last edited by nolatom; 05-14-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: USCG 2012 Boating Accident stats--"It ain't us?"..

water skiers and PWCs are some of the worst things to hit boating. Yes they are fun, but far too often they are busy being asses out on the water.

I am glad that deaths are down. Maybe more people are carrying the proper equipment now? or is it just less boaters on the water?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Looking out at the Wilmington bull and savannah rivers this weekend I would be hard pressed to believe it could be number of boaters going down overall. It still seems plenty crowded- of course if you used to see 35 boats a day- you aren't going to notice when it dwindles to a measly 30 a day- it will still just "feel" crowded.
Old 05-14-2013

paradiselostparrot is on a distinguished road

I really don't like pwc.
109 death from booze.#1 cause
Accidents are down because gas is $4 bucks a gallon.
They go boating less often and slower.

Last edited by paradiselostparrot; 05-14-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Nola, these stats are always a wake-up call to the "sailing will kill you" crowd. I started a similar thread a couple of years ago on the same stats for that year:

How "afraid" should we be of sailing?

The bottom line? To be statistically safe sailing all you have to do is 4 things:

1. Get 10 or so hours of some informal training on how to sail
2. Take a 40' vessel into the open ocean in rough to very rough conditions
3. Wear a pfd, don't drink, stay on the boat (regardless of make or year)
4. Sail REALLY fast

I'm down with that.

(We're safer than a freakin' canoe!)
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-14-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Total deaths 651, 286 of which in from open motorboat, 58 PWC, 55 cabin motorboat, 52 canoe, 44 pontoon, then it drops off. 3 types of sailboats (auxiliary, sail only, and "unknown") combined for 27.

There may be some page in there that tells you a ratio of deaths to the type of boat, but I suspect the sailboat crowd comes in safer than the bad actors in those open motorboats......

That's the relevant part, I mean what is the proportion of open motorboats to sailboats. I suppose there are a lot more open motor boats in the States but it would tale a percentage of more then 10 to one to gave an approximated number. Maybe there are.

I would be more interested to know if there are more small boats (yachts) rescues offshore now than in the past but they never detail the data and anyway it would have to be a global survey to make sense.

Regards

Paulo

Old 05-14-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Statistics are tricky. Obviously there are many times more powerboats than sailboats. I have seen numbers like 13 million powerboats and 45,000 sailboats - that is like 290:1 ratio.
So if sailboat fatalities were at a ratio of 10:1 that is nothing to be happy about.
Old 05-14-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I am glad that deaths are down. Maybe more people are carrying the proper equipment now? or is it just less boaters on the water?
I suspect that it is more states putting more emphasis on arresting boaters under the influence of alcohol, and making sure to publicize all such arrests. At least, they're doing that here in Florida.
Old 05-14-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

There has certainly been a LOT OF PUBLIC DISPLAY OF RULES ENFORCEMENT in my area with a HUGE ANTI BWI effort

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-14-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Statistics are tricky. Obviously there are many times more powerboats than sailboats. I have seen numbers like 13 million powerboats and 45,000 sailboats - that is like 290:1 ratio.
So if sailboat fatalities were at a ratio of 10:1 that is nothing to be happy about.
Statistics are very tricky!

Open powerboat trips tend to be quite brief. On a three-day powerboat weekend might spend a total of six hours in the boat pulling a skier or a tube around, whereas on a three-day sailboat weekend you might spend sixty hours in the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.