Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Do dock lines go with the boat?

Unless they are specifically excluded in the contract, I would take them. If he can keep the dock lines, without specific exclusion, can he also keep the running rigging? the sails? the cushions? the deadlight/portlight curtains? the friggin' rudder????
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Hey, so where is the update? What did you decide to do?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr972 View Post
Hey guys. I'm buying a boat from a guy and I love the boat but the seller has been completely a pain in the butt from the start. Well long story short I've purchased the boat with a contract stating there were some stuff the seller was going to take with him off the boat. I'm about to take the boat out of his slip to my marina but now he is claiming the dock lines stay. I assumed the dock lines go with the boat and the contract stated everything goes with the boat except for the listed items...the dock lines aren't listed. I've paid him, he's signed over the boat, I think I should be able to keep the lines.

Did I assume wrong? Do you consider dock lines be part of the slip or part of the boat? I need opinions before I start butting heads.

Thanks
If the lines are arranged such that they normally remain affixed to the mooring cleats/pilings on the dock when the yacht leaves the slip, they remain with the slip (in which case most would expect to find alternate mooring lines aboard the boat). If they are arranged such that one would normally double the lines, and then cast off and gather the lines aboard the boat when leaving the slip, they would normally be considered ship's equipment and go with the boat. Note, however, in either case, it's not worth getting into an argument about. If the lines are, in fact, only 3/8's, then they should be replaced with proper sized lines for the size yacht (1/2" IMHO). Further, the boat is new to you and you are going to discover issues and problems that the former owner may be able to help you with or have previously experienced himself. It would be wise to remain on good terms with him/her or when you do call for information/assistance it might very well not be forthcoming.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-14-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

While the OP seems reasonable there are two sides to every story.

Who knows the seller may even be a Sailnetter

Good luck with the new boat. But only you can decide if this is a battle worth fighting.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-14-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road

Jeeesh...buy some new lines. What's the big deal?

If there are lines coiled up and stored inside the boat when you take possession, I'd put a new padlock on the hatch and keep him out. Let him prove those are his lines.

The ones attached to the dock? Look at it this way. Are they "boatlines" or "docklines".
Old 05-14-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

The ones attached to the dock? Look at it this way. Are they "boatlines" or "docklines".
I don't know, docks don't need lines, if the there is no boat but just a dock why would the dock need lines. the boat on the other hand does not need the lines either unless the boat wants to stay attached to the dock. most boats don't want to be attached to the dock they want to be sailing. it's the owners that want to leave them tied to the dock. some more the others. which came first the dock or the boat

Last edited by overbored; 05-14-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2013

Siamese, This is a sailing forum.

You're passionate about the gun control issue, that's fine. Go vent in off topic or on one of the many sites on this topic.

But don't yell in my face about. I'm here to talk about SAILING on SAILnet.

And BOLD 24 point RED text is the internet equivalent of yelling in someone's face. It shows a lack of respect to everyone on this forum.

And don't presume to know my opinion on the issue from this post.
SimonV, miatapaul and chef2sail like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 05-14-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road

That's just my signature line. I admit I got the idea from SlowButSteady. I also have to admit I complained about his signature line until I was corrected by a moderator. It's just a signature line.

Still, I'll likely reduce the font size pretty soon. I like the way SlowButSteady has his...bold...all caps...some red.
Seaduction likes this.
Old 05-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Siamese, This is a sailing forum.

You're passionate about the gun control issue, that's fine. Go vent in off topic or on one of the many sites on this topic.

But don't yell in my face about. I'm here to talk about SAILING on SAILnet.

And BOLD 24 point RED text is the internet equivalent of yelling in someone's face. It shows a lack of respect to everyone on this forum.

And don't presume to know my opinion on the issue from this post.
I totally agree with this. Normal font please.

I thought the MODS made a ruling on this already, about the political statements in the avatars, sayings etc.? Did they or did they not?
JimMcGee, SimonV and Seaduction like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-14-2013

Quote:
That's just my signature line. I admit I got the idea from SlowButSteady. I also have to admit I complained about his signature line until I was corrected by a moderator. It's just a signature line.
That doesn't change the fact that it's incredibly rude right now.

The fact that you complained about it to the mods shows that you know it's offensive and chose to do it anyway.

Quote:
Still, I'll likely reduce the font size pretty soon. I like the way SlowButSteady has his...bold...all caps...some red.
Frankly I don't give a rats hairy ass what either of you think about guns. Go hash it out in off topic. That's why it's there.

I don't need this in my face.
Seaduction likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.