Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
CA Sailor Rescued North Pacific

Container ship rescues Aussie sailor off Christmas Island - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Container ship rescues Aussie sailor off Christmas Island

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED: 10:56 a.m. HST, May 14, 2013
LAST UPDATED: 10:57 a.m. HST, May 14, 2013

A container ship Monday night picked up a 58-year-old Australian sailor who requested help near Christmas Island after becoming too tired to continue, the Coast Guard reported.

The Australian was piloting the sailing vessel Folly II and was approximately 443 miles from Christmas Island, the Republic of Kiribati at 6:11 a.m. Monday when he reported that his vessel’s autopilot failed.
After manually navigating the vessel for four weeks, he had become too fatigued to continue, the Coast Guard said.
The Coast Guard immediately launched HC-130 Hercules airplane from Air Station Barbers Point and established communications with the sailor. A second Hercules was launched later the same day to provide cover during the rescue

The crew aboard the container vessel Kota Wang picked up the sailor and said he was in good condition. The sailor had left California and was headed to Christmas Island.

Last edited by casey1999; 05-14-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: CA Sailor Rescued North Pacific

Note to self: Hydrovane, don't cross Pacific without it.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-14-2013

peoples1234 is on a distinguished road

Heave to and take a nap?
Tim R., jackdale and nkamper like this.
Old 05-14-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Once you get that tired... It's over. You aren't heaving to, you aren't steering a course, you aren't even sleeping when you sleep.

Yeah- he should've been taking better care of himself for those 4 weeks- but then- Ive been on shore mostly the last month and I've been rushing my death- so I haven the room to talk.

I do not care how much this rescue cost. I wonder how frequently these boats get found and salvaged. Whatever happened that swan that was adrift? Anyone recover it?
Old 05-15-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Note to self: Hydrovane, don't cross Pacific without it.
Or crew?
jephotog and Minnesail like this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-15-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Even with two onboard hand steering for days is incredibly tiring. We did it for five days after a knockdown that damaged both our autopilot and our Monitor. If the wind had been stronger it would have been easier, we could have rigged some form of self-steering since our boat balances so well, but the winds were in the 6 to 12 knot range and variable in detection with sloppy seas. Not fun. Can't imagine doing it alone for four weeks. I would imagine this guy was doing the heave-to/sleep routine to even make it as long as he did. I agree with Jackdale, the number of singlehanders who get into trouble is way higher than with even two crew. There is a reason that couples can get insurance from a few companies and singles not at all.
krisscross likes this.
Old 05-15-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

At 1,600 miles northwest of Perth, Western Australia, I don't thing anyone would all this the North Pacific, or that an Aussi is a California sailor.

Was casey1999 in a hurry to post this as the thread title is "CA Sailor Rescued North Pacific"??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
At 1,600 miles northwest of Perth, Western Australia, I don't thing anyone would all this the North Pacific, or that an Aussi is a California sailor.

Was casey1999 in a hurry to post this as the thread title is "CA Sailor Rescued North Pacific"??
There's more than one island out there named Christmas...

Old 05-15-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post
Heave to and take a nap?
No kidding...
But there might have been other factors. Singlehanders sometimes go insane on those long passages. Even Joshua Slocum experienced that. Survival is a state of mind.
Old 05-15-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post

Yea I was a little in a hurry. But the map posted is correct. Christmas Island is south of Hawaii and that is where the US Coast Guard lauched their C130 from. Sorry I posted the sailor was from California. He left from CA, but was originally from down under.

Interesting the article says the auto pilot failed. If it was an electronic type auto pilot, those things seem to fail often. A wind vane type steering system may have helped, if he did not have one. Much more reliable and you may be able to fix it if it breaks.

Too bad he was only 443 miles to his destination after sailing some 3500 miles. Hopefully someone will help retrieve his boat and he can keep going. Sorry I am 1000 miles away and cannot leave due to work.
Regards

Last edited by casey1999; 05-15-2013 at 12:52 PM.