Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Deader in the Bahamas/Is Nassau getting that dangerous?

Words like "critical" were used to describe crime in Nassau, Bahamas, after a tall-ship sailor was killed trying to help a purse-snatching victim.

Is it bad?

Should the tourist motto change from
"Better in the Bahamas" to
"Deader in the Bahamas"?

Sailor killed in Bahamas, Kyle Bruner, was from Chicago | abc7chicago.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: Deader in the Bahamas/Is Nassau getting that dangerous?

Bahamians on the other islands will tell you how much they dislike Nassau and how they think it is filled with gangs and crime. They all say, "Skip Naussau".
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 05-14-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

I'd rather visit Oakland.

I always call it the Oakland of the carribean. You can keep it. It's ghastly- gunshots and sirens all night every night.
Old 05-15-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Nassau and Freeport are indeed crime ridden; simply stay away from them or dont walk the streets there after dark. Since guns are essentially outlawed in the Bahamas, when in Nassau or Freeport (and Miami, etc.) I carry a monster Irish walking stick - a "shilelagh" (batta), with a large 'ball' head - a 'skull crusher' that looks like an american indian war club ... and totally legal. The police there always smile broadly and nod when they see my 'walking stick'.

The rest of the Bahamas are fairly crime free, the islands are quite 'religious' for the most part. Since the Bahamas vitally depends on tourism, expect the perpetrator to get the 'full measure' of Bahamian justice as an example to others.

But to be fair, Nassau is like any other large city - you really have to be constantly 'street smart' and 'aware'. I think Baltimore, Washington DC or Chicago are far more dangerous than Nassau.
Group9 likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 05-15-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-15-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Nassau and Freeport are indeed crime ridden; simply stay away from them or dont walk the streets there after dark. Since guns are essentially outlawed in the Bahamas, when in Nassau or Freeport (and Miami, etc.) I carry a monster Irish walking stick - a "shilelagh" (batta), with a large 'ball' head - a 'skull crusher' that looks like an american indian war club ... and totally legal. The police there always smile broadly and nod when they see my 'walking stick'.

The rest of the Bahamas are fairly crime free, the islands are quite 'religious' for the most part. Since the Bahamas vitally depends on tourism, expect the perpetrator to get the 'full measure' of Bahamian justice as an example to others.

But to be fair, Nassau is like any other large city - you really have to be constantly 'street smart' and 'aware'. I think Baltimore, Washington DC or Chicago are far more dangerous than Nassau.
That's pretty close to my take, having been to Nassau about a dozen times in the last ten years (including working with law enforcement there).

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-15-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

I've been to Nassau many times, and never had a bit of trouble. Is this a recent development?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

It's not necessarily about the trouble you'll run into- but about the trouble some of the folks in Nassau are making for each other and might make for you. I was there for Junkanoo this year and it was seriously gunshots and sirens- all week leading up- plus two children murdered. Now granted that was end of the world related. The point is there is enough crime and specifically violent crime- that even if its not perpetrated on you- it's not pleasant to be around.

I've been a few times- ill probably end up passing back through but it won't ever be a priority- just happenstance.
Old 05-15-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
I've been to Nassau many times, and never had a bit of trouble. Is this a recent development?
The current level of risk definitely has been ratcheted up a bit in the last few years, the recession hurts there, as well, of course... The highly-publicized mugging of a busload of cruise ship passengers by an armed gang a couple of years ago seemed to be the tipping point...

I checked into the Bahamas last winter at Nassau Yacht Haven after not having stopped in Nassau for several years, they still couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant... And, Nassau harbor is a fascinating place, a walk around Potter's Cay is always worthwhile... Strolling around after dark, or leaving the confines of a marina with security, however, could definitely be asking for trouble...
Old 05-15-2013

korn is on a distinguished road

Was very sad to hear this news, sounds like an upstanding guy.

As for Nassau, I spent 3 weeks there this winter and had no real issues. I did however, have a friend come visit whom certainly has better "inner city" situational awareness than I do, and on one particular evening he picked up on some locals taking particular attention to us as we walked home from the bar... and we were 3 guys, so I could imagine the scrutiny on women/individuals.

Ultimately, the massive quantities of cruiseship passengers and all inclusives placed into a relatively poor economy cultivates a dangerous brew. I watched as one night locals were gather outside Senior Frogs because they were being denied entry whereas we were ushered right in... It was disturbing to say the least and the crowd was not happy.

For cruisers, you don't go to the Bahamas to visit Nassau, due to the circumstances I was forced to stay there for 3 weeks as I watched the tides pushing garbage past my boat day and night. If I was to do it again I would skip it... Stage/stay at Rose island if u have to. It's a cool spot close to Nassau.

Just my .02.
Old 05-15-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
The highly-publicized mugging of a busload of cruise ship passengers by a
Maybe that was a defense mechanism, many more islands could use.