SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Mantus Anchors NEWS: anchor sizing tool (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99530-mantus-anchors-news-anchor-sizing-tool.html)

Mantus Anchors 05-15-2013 12:18 PM

Mantus Anchors NEWS: anchor sizing tool

1 Attachment(s)
Netters we have a new anchor sizing guide/tool, that allows you to more accurately size an anchor for your specific needs.

Why the Mantus? | MantusAnchors

Just click on anchor sizing and give it a go!

We are also about to release a knowledge base and would love you feed back, so the idea will be that a community will be able to contribute to improve the information for all to use... so stay tuned!
Greg
http://mantusanchors.com/gallery/?nggpage=2

Tim R. 05-15-2013 12:29 PM

Re: Mantus Anchors NEWS: anchor sizing tool

Thanks Greg although I would make a few suggestions.

1. Your ranges are 35-40, 40-45. You might want to make it 35-39 or 41-45 etc. A 40 ft. boat could be in either range although I would naturally go higher.
2. Less than 20,000lbs and less than 40,000lbs seems like a huge range. My boat is just over 20,000lbs

BTW, I already own a 65lb Mantus as a storm anchor. Great anchor.

And a question. Why not weld the bolts to the anchor? A couple less things to lose and it should not affect the storability of the parts. Or maybe some sort of clevis pin system where the pins can be lashed to the parts.

Mantus Anchors 05-15-2013 12:51 PM

Tim thank you for your feedback!
first point taken!
The range on displacement reflects that we jump from a 45 lbs model to a 65 lbs Mantus and currently do not offer a 55 lbs anchor... so the 65 lbs model envelops 20-40,000 lbs displacement.

In regards to welded bolts, we were worried that in an event the thread gets damaged the hole shank would need to be replaced.. at the same time we wanted and tight joint without wobble...
Again thanks for the feedback!
Greg

Tim R. 05-15-2013 02:01 PM

Makes sense Greg. Thanks.

MedSailor 05-15-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim R. (Post 1030609)
And a question. Why not weld the bolts to the anchor? A couple less things to lose and it should not affect the storability of the parts. Or maybe some sort of clevis pin system where the pins can be lashed to the parts.

Seems like you could make this mod yourself with a little JBWeld.

MedSailor

northoceanbeach 05-16-2013 01:39 AM

Seems like a good guide. You recommend a 35 or a storm anchor for me which I think seems slightly excessive but better to be safe and the other manufacturers guide gives me much smaller anchors.

MedSailor 05-16-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors (Post 1030600)
Netters we have a new anchor sizing guide/tool, that allows you to more accurately size an anchor for your specific needs.

Why the Mantus? | MantusAnchors

Just click on anchor sizing and give it a go!

We are also about to release a knowledge base and would love you feed back, so the idea will be that a community will be able to contribute to improve the information for all to use... so stay tuned!
Greg
http://mantusanchors.com/gallery/?nggpage=2

I'm not sure if I'm using your tool right, but I think it's trying to tell me I need a bigger boat. :D

MedSailor

Mantus Anchors 05-16-2013 11:14 AM

Yeah just imagine, if you use your 65 lbs anchor as a lunch hook, what kind of boat you can get....

swampcreek 05-16-2013 06:16 PM

We put a 35# Mantus on our Catalina 320 over the Winter, we haven't used it yet but it fits great and looks sweet!

blt2ski 05-17-2013 01:13 AM

Having the three size options is a good thing IMHO. As for me, I use a lunch/race hook most of the time up front! vs the heavier cruise hook. Probably since I race more than cruise and anchor out........just trying to make the grade with the race rules one has to follow.

For some of you that have not seen at least my local minimum anchor sizing.
(LOA/17)^3..... so for me (30/17)^3 = 1.765x1.765x1.765 = 5.49 ls of min anchor.
Total anchor rode etc is (loa^2)/80.......(30^2)/80 = 900/80= 11.25 lbs of anchor, chain and line. Min length of rode is 150'!
I have a 9lb fastset, 6' of 3/8BBB and 200' of 7/16" 3st.

The other I like in the options. the cruise anchor has a recomended chain size, in both std and hi-test. along with a min rope size. It would also be interesting to see the min option for a lunch/storm potential option too. Or better yet. Lunch is good to say 20knots of wind, cruise to 40, storm to 60, SUPER storm to 80-90 knots!

My recomended sizes were 13, 25 and 35. I have the 9 and a REAL 16.5 bruce! Even says made in belgum! I'd personally feel a bit better with a 10KG/20-25lb anchor and 30-50' of chain vs the 15" of chain I have. 5/16 vs 1/4 that I have. Rope size is plenty at 5/8" for a 30' LOA 7K boat.

Marty