Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013

SkipperK is on a distinguished road
Painting Hull

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Victoria 18. Before I get her out on the water, I would like to paint the hull. My father used to be in auto body, so I'll have him spray it, but I will be doing all the prep work. The boat will be sailed in freshwater and I'm thinking of going with Alexseal paint, any opinions or suggestions on freshwater paint?

Should I sand the gel coat completely off, or just sand enough for a good painting surface?

How much paint will be needed? I plan to do red below the waterline and blue on the topsides.

Clear coat over paint?

Any tips or tricks I should remember?

I searched the forum for a bit, but didn't find these questions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Re: Painting Hull

No need to remove the gelcoat, unless you've had some sort of catastrophic failure. You'll need to fix the scrapes and gouges using epoxy products like those available from West or Mas, then sand...keeping it FAIR...and then paint.

I'm not familiar with Alexseal, but would strongly advise you to go with a 2-part coating like Awlgrip for your topsides. Clear coat's not needed. A two part will have all the gloss and durability you need or can get.

MUCH has been written about preparing and painting topsides with 2-part paints. Between Google and youtube you'll get what you need. West System epoxy also has plenty of free info online.

Below the waterline, VC17 is ideal for freshwater. Easy application and low buildup. If you want to add blister protection, coat the hull with something like Interlux's barrier coat, and apply the VC17 over it.

The project you're planning is a reasonable undertaking. On the one hand, pretty simple taken step by step, but on the other hand, too complex to fully explain here.

Avail yourself of the available info, take reasonable care, and you Victoria will be beautiful.
Old 05-15-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road

I re-read your posting and saw that you will be spraying. Lucky you. Awlgrip should NEVER be sprayed by an amateur (use a roller), but a pro can do it.

A little bit of homework will tell you which 2-parts are most suitable for spraying. Imron comes to mind.

If you repair the topside scrapes and gouges to auto body standards and spray two part on it, you will need protective goggles to view the boat in direct sunlight! You can expect it to look as good..OR BETTER...than new.
Old 05-15-2013
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

a Cheaper alternative is a one part like Brightsides (which is really a polyurethane)... it can be sprayed, but you must use their thinner (or approximate their thinner using a formula found easily on the internet

I used 4 quarts of paint on my 25 footer... 2 is probably all you'll need for your Victoria if you prime it correctly... Did I mention you should prime it? I did not for mine, and therefore had more coats than I would have needed otherwise.

A HVLP sprayer will work with most of these thinned following instructions by the manufacturer.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 05-15-2013

Great replies, thanks. Gives me a much better starting point.
Old 05-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
...I'm not familiar with Alexseal, but would strongly advise you to go with a 2-part coating like Awlgrip.....
Alexseal is also a 2-part LP paint, just like Awlgrip. In fact, it was invented by the same guy who invented Awlgrip, after his non-compete ran out from selling to AkzoNobel. The new formula is designed to be just as tough, but more easily repairable. Ironically, some of the ingredients in his original Awlgrip formula are not longer legal, so Awlgrip isn't even Awlgrip anymore.

He even makes Alexseal in the original Awlgrip factory, I believe.

I used it for our repaint a few years back. Very satisfied so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

It is possible for an amateur to get a decent result spraying awlgrip or any other 2part paint. Biggest issue is finding and using the appropriate respirators and work in well ventilated conditions. Read and follow directions to the letter and if possible have a 'mixing crew' available to prepare batches as you spray.

You may not get pro results but you'll save a bundle. A reasonable motto might be ' far from good but good from afar'

FWIW we did a 40 footer ourselves some years back in awlgrip.. Turned out OK.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-16-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

If your Dad can spray it in the shop then Imron is the way to go as it will behave in a way he expects

Awlgrip and Perfection require a completely different spray technique that will give a person used to "normal paint " FITS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
If your Dad can spray it in the shop then Imron is the way to go as it will behave in a way he expects

Awlgrip and Perfection require a completely different spray technique that will give a person used to "normal paint " FITS
Great to know. Thanks
Old 05-16-2013
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Yep, I'm jealous, because I have no patience, and can't spray to save my life. I bought a cheap HVLP sprayer, and my result was terrible (bad thinner I suspect - couldn't possibly have been me).. but I CAN say that roll and tip isn't bad either..

10 foot rule... if it looks good at 10 feet... YOU RULE!
Here, entertain yourself at my expense...
http://www.shnool.com/images/capri25...2012/Topsides/
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.