SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Coleman stove in the cockpit? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99538-coleman-stove-cockpit.html)

cthoops 05-15-2013 05:20 PM

Coleman stove in the cockpit?

I've been reading the posts re: stoves on the boat and while an Origo is on the list of things to buy, it's simply not in the budget right now. Sandwiches every week are going to get tiresome, so I was thinking of using our Coleman propane stove in the cockpit and storing the propane containers in the lazarette. Good idea? Terrible idea? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

rockDAWG 05-15-2013 05:33 PM

Re: Coleman stove in the cockpit?

Hey why not!!!. Improvise with some common sense.

Make a wooden crate to custom fit a Coleman stove which will serve as the wind breaker. Make a few braces to secure the pot safely so you wont get burn.

Whatever you do, just think it through and don't get hurt. I assume that you won't light up the stove in a rage. :)

Have fun and be safe.

CalebD 05-15-2013 05:44 PM

I have done similar with a Coleman stove.

But to be truly ANAL about it, storing a propane canister inside the boat that is not an ABYC approved propane locker is a no-no. Storing propane canisters inside your lazarette is inside the boat. The smaller canisters could be lashed to stanchions or anywhere outside the cabin when not in use.
An anchor locker with an overboard drain approximates a propane locker.
If your canisters aren't leaking it is all a pretty moot point, no?

onestepcsy37 05-15-2013 06:42 PM

no problem.

many years ago i sold my albin vega to a young couple who wanted to take it to the bahamas. it had a kenyon two burner kerosene stove (you're probably not old enough to remember them).

two years later we met up with them in the bahamas. they had ditched the kero stove as too smelly and too complicated. instead they used a coleman lpg camp stove. they didn't use the small bottles; they hooked up a 20lb tank whenever they wanted to cook and then unhooked it. kept the 20lb bottle in the cockpit.

if you decide to use the 1lb bottles, remember that they can be refilled with a little attachment from a 20lb bottle (a lot cheaper than buying 1lb bottles). also, they fit inside a 4" pvc pipe, so with a little ingenuity you can make a topside storage container for them.

always store lpg containers outdoors. if the container leaks the gas is heavier than air and settles into the bilge. not good.....

deniseO30 05-15-2013 06:45 PM

Top of the companion way hatch is a good place for a stove. use something to protect the lid. use bungees to keep the stove in place. (with small piece of chain to keep the bungees off the hot sheet metal. Make a PVC pipe with screwed in plug to put your propane cylinders in. (never store propane below, ever)

deltaten 05-15-2013 07:05 PM

I use a Coleman in the cabin..Heavens Forbid ! ;) I stow the tanks in the vented, wet locker port side cockpit when not in use. Of course, the placement of the stove on the counter is nearly directly under the open hatch. :D
I have NO problem hooking it all up the night before so's I don;t hafta fiddle with it while still half asleep to start the coffee. If I'm staying at the dock, I'll leave it all rigged, ready to go if I wanna cook summat up. Leave the boat or get under way? It gets stowed, sans bottle. 40-some odd years of working with and camping with 1# canisters and I've never (yet!) had a leak. 20, 30 and 100 pounders? Yep..leak like sieves if ya don;t know what's what;)
Just use common sense and play it as safe as ya want. Lloyd's sponsored a destructive test of a sailboat. The propane section took enuff C-4 ta blow the boat up...really...than it needed to get the propane to go off. Took quite a few tries with escalating ignition sources, too

Ventilate!;)

nodders 05-15-2013 08:56 PM

make a storage container out of PVC or ABS pipe and attach it to a stanchion with a couple of cable ties and away you go...no storage issues.

jephotog 05-15-2013 11:01 PM

I have one of these?

When I had a 22 foot boat I would grill andouille sausage on it on the low side. During the tack someone was on the helm, on sheets, and someone on the grill for the tack. The person on the grill would move the grill from old low side to new low side during the tack. Its a nice little unit for either camping or boating. To be safe keep the bottles outside of the cabin. Either leave them in the cockpit or in cockpit cubby if they fit.

travlineasy 05-15-2013 11:41 PM

OK - Lets see a show of hands. How many of you have experienced a one pound canister leak? Personally, never in 50 years and hundreds of canisters. Did have some alcohol stove fires, though.

Gary

SlowButSteady 05-16-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cthoops (Post 1030765)
I've been reading the posts re: stoves on the boat and while an Origo is on the list of things to buy, it's simply not in the budget right now. ...

Keep an eye on eBay, Craig's List, et cetera. I picked up a two-burner Origo stove on eBay last year (to replace the one-burner model I had) for $100. It just needed a little elbow grease and some metal cleaner/polish to look decent. If you just need one burner, you can probably find a used Heat-Pal for $25 to $50 w/o too much trouble.