Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road
Coleman stove in the cockpit?

I've been reading the posts re: stoves on the boat and while an Origo is on the list of things to buy, it's simply not in the budget right now. Sandwiches every week are going to get tiresome, so I was thinking of using our Coleman propane stove in the cockpit and storing the propane containers in the lazarette. Good idea? Terrible idea? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Coleman stove in the cockpit?

Hey why not!!!. Improvise with some common sense.

Make a wooden crate to custom fit a Coleman stove which will serve as the wind breaker. Make a few braces to secure the pot safely so you wont get burn.

Whatever you do, just think it through and don't get hurt. I assume that you won't light up the stove in a rage.

Have fun and be safe.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I have done similar with a Coleman stove.

But to be truly ANAL about it, storing a propane canister inside the boat that is not an ABYC approved propane locker is a no-no. Storing propane canisters inside your lazarette is inside the boat. The smaller canisters could be lashed to stanchions or anywhere outside the cabin when not in use.
An anchor locker with an overboard drain approximates a propane locker.
If your canisters aren't leaking it is all a pretty moot point, no?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2013

onestepcsy37 is on a distinguished road

no problem.

many years ago i sold my albin vega to a young couple who wanted to take it to the bahamas. it had a kenyon two burner kerosene stove (you're probably not old enough to remember them).

two years later we met up with them in the bahamas. they had ditched the kero stove as too smelly and too complicated. instead they used a coleman lpg camp stove. they didn't use the small bottles; they hooked up a 20lb tank whenever they wanted to cook and then unhooked it. kept the 20lb bottle in the cockpit.

if you decide to use the 1lb bottles, remember that they can be refilled with a little attachment from a 20lb bottle (a lot cheaper than buying 1lb bottles). also, they fit inside a 4" pvc pipe, so with a little ingenuity you can make a topside storage container for them.

always store lpg containers outdoors. if the container leaks the gas is heavier than air and settles into the bilge. not good.....

Last edited by onestepcsy37; 05-15-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Top of the companion way hatch is a good place for a stove. use something to protect the lid. use bungees to keep the stove in place. (with small piece of chain to keep the bungees off the hot sheet metal. Make a PVC pipe with screwed in plug to put your propane cylinders in. (never store propane below, ever)

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I use a Coleman in the cabin..Heavens Forbid ! I stow the tanks in the vented, wet locker port side cockpit when not in use. Of course, the placement of the stove on the counter is nearly directly under the open hatch.
I have NO problem hooking it all up the night before so's I don;t hafta fiddle with it while still half asleep to start the coffee. If I'm staying at the dock, I'll leave it all rigged, ready to go if I wanna cook summat up. Leave the boat or get under way? It gets stowed, sans bottle. 40-some odd years of working with and camping with 1# canisters and I've never (yet!) had a leak. 20, 30 and 100 pounders? Yep..leak like sieves if ya don;t know what's what
Just use common sense and play it as safe as ya want. Lloyd's sponsored a destructive test of a sailboat. The propane section took enuff C-4 ta blow the boat up...really...than it needed to get the propane to go off. Took quite a few tries with escalating ignition sources, too

Ventilate!
Old 05-15-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road

make a storage container out of PVC or ABS pipe and attach it to a stanchion with a couple of cable ties and away you go...no storage issues.

Old 05-16-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I have one of these?

Amazon.com: Coleman PerfectFlow Insta Start Grill Stove: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Coleman PerfectFlow Insta Start Grill Stove: Sports & Outdoors

When I had a 22 foot boat I would grill andouille sausage on it on the low side. During the tack someone was on the helm, on sheets, and someone on the grill for the tack. The person on the grill would move the grill from old low side to new low side during the tack. Its a nice little unit for either camping or boating. To be safe keep the bottles outside of the cabin. Either leave them in the cockpit or in cockpit cubby if they fit.
PaulinVictoria likes this.
Old 05-16-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

OK - Lets see a show of hands. How many of you have experienced a one pound canister leak? Personally, never in 50 years and hundreds of canisters. Did have some alcohol stove fires, though.

Gary
Old 05-16-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
I've been reading the posts re: stoves on the boat and while an Origo is on the list of things to buy, it's simply not in the budget right now. ...
Keep an eye on eBay, Craig's List, et cetera. I picked up a two-burner Origo stove on eBay last year (to replace the one-burner model I had) for $100. It just needed a little elbow grease and some metal cleaner/polish to look decent. If you just need one burner, you can probably find a used Heat-Pal for $25 to $50 w/o too much trouble.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.