Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Well im 43 and started sailing three years ago. I think it is all simple, the hobby of sailing is just too expensive and time consuming for young people. In fact not just sailing but boating period. I don't see many young people that own boats. Sailboats and yachts, most owners around here (that I seen) seem to be in their 60's. On the other hand, I think many young singles (or even couples) overlook one thing...the possibility of living aboard. This is when it can not only become affordable but also a great way to bank some money. Not to mention owning a nice sailboat while your at it instead of paying high rent somewhere.
navyitc likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I think the best way to get more young people sailing is through local Boy and Girl Scout troops or some other sponsored programs like Venturing or Sea Scouts. It takes a lot of work but it is worth it. My church has been talking about starting a sailing program for teenagers and 'troubled young people' and I might get involved. If I was retired I would be doing it already. Giving back to society definitely makes a difference.
bljones likes this.
Old 05-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I don't buy the "too expensive" part of this argument no matter what the age. Who says that you must buy a boat to sail?

Both sail clubs that I belong to cost less than $40/year to be a member. Many members of one of the clubs don't own boats (or keep their boats at their winter homes) but crew on the other members' boats for both races and overnight trips.

There is an interesting "virtual" club in Philadelphia (meets in Bala Cynwyd) where members get together and charter most weekends where some of those weekends are instructional trips where the purpose is to practice skills with experienced sailors (some of them certified captains or instructors). It's another inexpensive club to join. A few weeks a year they take longer cruises farther away (NE, Caribbean, etc.).

In New Castle, DE is a sailing club where you pay (more, but still much less than owning a boat) and when you prove your skills, can take out the club-owned sailboats.

I started out in a sail club prior to buying my first boat. It was a great introduction to the lifestyle without plunking down lots of cash first.
bljones likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Where is mr ritz located.

I am in the crowd of almost sank my first boat first day. Plywood rudder backing plates, one fell off. Took on 90ish gallons of water.

It rained this morning and now bam! Not a cloud in the sky. I'm on a reach doing about 3 mph in I don't even know. 5 mph wind? It's crazy how this boat really moves on the littlest wind. If it is enough to point the wane on the mast it's enough to sail. Picking up now. Just hit 4. So pretty today and its almost just me out here. The forecast called for a high of 63 but its probably 70.

Clear north no clouds otherwise it looks like s e and w has some but about 20-30 miles away. Today must be one of those days where I'm in a sun belt that they like to talk about.

Philzy should post more. What's it like living aboard in Redondo Beach?
Old 05-16-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I don't buy the "too expensive" part of this argument no matter what the age. Who says that you must buy a boat to sail?
My first boat, a GP14, cost me $500.. and that was with the trailer. I sold it for what I bought it for. My current boat, a SeaSprite 23.. $2000, with the trailer. I need to do a little tidying up, but I could drop it in the water the day I get it down to AC if I wanted to

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 05-16-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Living in Redondo Beach is great. All the benefits of Southern CA weather for sailing, while being a small harbor without much congestion unlike Marina Del Rey, Newport Beach, or Long Beach. I'd guess there's about 10 people living aboard, minus the larger vessels that have their own showers inside, so the marina facilities are plenty adequate for the liveaboards. Honestly I wouldn't change very much about it if I could. Most of the boat owners on the docks have been there for a long time, a decade or more, and are welcoming and smart boaters.
Old 05-16-2013

Mr.Ritz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post

I am in the crowd of almost sank my first boat first day. Plywood rudder backing plates, one fell off. Took on 90ish gallons of water.

It rained this morning and now bam! Not a cloud in the sky. I'm on a reach doing about 3 mph in I don't even know. 5 mph wind? It's crazy how this boat really moves on the littlest wind. If it is enough to point the wane on the mast it's enough to sail. Picking up now. Just hit 4. So pretty today and its almost just me out here. The forecast called for a high of 63 but its probably 70.

Clear north no clouds otherwise it looks like s e and w has some but about 20-30 miles away. Today must be one of those days where I'm in a sun belt that they like to talk about.

Philzy should post more. What's it like living aboard in Redondo Beach?
I'm in FL.. You had a part pop off your boat bad luck.. Not like you hit something coming in or going under a bridge
Old 05-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Right true. And I had an experienced sailor with me. I think a 22 would be good in Florida.
Old 05-17-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
In my area, it is cheaper to buy a boat. The cheapest yacht club is $400/year with a $100 boat fee... the next closest one costs even more. And unless you go to a summer camp with a lake (as a kid), go to (expensive) sailing classes, or have a friend with a sailboat, you are likely not going to be introduced to sailing without going out of your way.

A lot of us found a way to make it work, but there are a lot of obstacles in the way of it becoming more mainstream.

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 05-17-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post

I'm on a reach doing about 3 mph in I don't even know. 5 mph wind? It's crazy how this boat really moves on the littlest wind. If it is enough to point the wane on the mast it's enough to sail. Picking up now. Just hit 4.
Sounds about like my boat. Its nice to have a boat with big sails that can get you moving even in little puffs, but still stand up to bigger wind! Sounds like a great time!

Last edited by Rhys05; 05-17-2013 at 09:05 AM.