Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013
Dunning Krueger Research

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

The same conversation of where are all the young people is going on in the motorcycling forums , and ( I think) on the custom car forums.Its video games and the internet.

I have three grown up sons, 21, 19 and 17 all of them will occasionally sail with me and love the water. Two of them live away. When they all come home and get together they play video games like its a sport. They talk about video games. They are interested in sailing but not to the extent I was at their age. They are interested in motorcycles but not to the extent I was at their age. Same with cars.

Its video games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Its video games.
No, its the RADIO...wait...TV! No...arcades! Hang on a minute...its Nintendo! Wait, no, its XBOX!

Seriously though, I don't disagree...even guys older than me here at work (early thirties) talk waaay too much about video games. I rarely, if ever, play video games...so I feel old, even though I'm younger than them...
Old 05-17-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
No, its the RADIO...wait...TV! No...arcades! Hang on a minute...its Nintendo! Wait, no, its XBOX!
It's nice to know I'm not the ONLY in the 20-something age that doesn't play video games AT ALL.

But to be fair, every generation has their time-killing vices. My father (and most of his generation) watches 4-5 hours of TV every day. I'll admit that I stare at a computer screen for about 9 hours per day... but they pay me for 8 of those!

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 05-17-2013

I might play a few in the winter evenings when there isn't a whole lot else to do...but if there is another option, I'll generally take it.
Old 05-17-2013

flo617 is on a distinguished road

Where have all the young men gone?
Gone for soldiers everyone... when will they ever learn?
Old 05-17-2013

flo617 is on a distinguished road

Young people who are in shape are busy sailing their planing dinghies and enjoying the water splashing over their wetsuits as they surf over the waves... unlike me who is busy getting my mule ready for the summer (I'm 33 by the way)
Old 05-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo617 View Post
Young people who are in shape are busy sailing their planing dinghies and enjoying the water splashing over their wetsuits as they surf over the waves... unlike me who is busy getting my mule ready for the summer (I'm 33 by the way)
Yeah, for me, I could afford either an older (31 year old to be exact) 26' racer/cruiser keelboat OR something like a foiling Moth, not both. The keelboat won out handily since it can be used for a whole lot more than racing and daysailing..plus if my wife comes along with me on the activity, I get to do it a whole lot more often! Those fast dinghys do look like fun though...
Old 05-18-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeAquam View Post
In my area, it is cheaper to buy a boat. The cheapest yacht club is $400/year with a $100 boat fee... the next closest one costs even more. And unless you go to a summer camp with a lake (as a kid), go to (expensive) sailing classes, or have a friend with a sailboat, you are likely not going to be introduced to sailing without going out of your way.

A lot of us found a way to make it work, but there are a lot of obstacles in the way of it becoming more mainstream.
For cryin' out loud, I scored a Hobie 16 for $100 with a trailer and a complete set of functional sails!

I agree that income has not kept pace with living costs, but come on, how cheap does it have to be, before people stop throwing the "poverty card"??
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-18-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Every marina in the nation, at least the larger ones, have a load of derelict boats, many of which are in good condition and just need some elbow grease to get them sailing again. All it takes is a little legwork to find them - they're out there and many can be had for little or no money at all.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Every marina in the nation, at least the larger ones, have a load of derelict boats, many of which are in good condition and just need some elbow grease to get them sailing again. All it takes is a little legwork to find them - they're out there and many can be had for little or no money at all.

Good Luck,

Gary
So...what you are saying is that when we decide we want a bigger boat to go cruise on, we should put out an all points alert on Sailnet to be on the lookout for a 35-42 foot cruising boat that can be had for cheap and restored with only elbow grease??

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.