Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

^ well, it does happen all the time around here. It happened twice in my tiny marina in the last two months- and my problem was I wasn't standing there with cash when the seller made it known he wanted to sell.

Now, having said that, there are tons of derelict boats that could probably be had for the asking, but I do mean 'derelicts' and I am not looking for a life-consuming project boat. There's a difference between elbow grease and "damned near starting from scratch" with a boat. All deals are not good deals. But Travelin Easy's point is valid. Another person's threshold for "elbow grease" may be vastly different from mine. If I was retired and basically wanted a hull and mast to make a project out of, I could probably turn down one free boat after another until I found the one I wanted to start rebuilding.

But the two that just sold for peanuts were great boats that I had no idea the owners wanted to sell. I'm talking about boats you can throw the lines off of and go sail it right now. A 30-footer went for about $3k and the first person it was offered to bought it. Never was a For Sale sign even placed on the boat.

Word of mouth is king. I have learned my lesson. Now I just make sure to let people know I'm looking for just such a deal and to call me if they hear something.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

I'm 40 and started sailing 5 years ago. Do I count as young?

I'd say that sailing isn't a mainstream activity. Young people do a lot of things now that used to be marginal activities - rock climbing, white-water kayaking, windsurfing, technical cycling, triathlons, long-distance running, yoga, just to name a few. I know more people my age who have jumped out of a plane in a parachute (for fun) than know how to sail. When I mention that I sail, the reaction is typically one of astonishment. And I live right next door to the Chesapeake, some of the best sailing in the country.

For myself, I had no idea I would like sailing. I went out for my first sail at 32 on someone else's boat and wasn't expecting to enjoy myself nearly as much as I did. I took a course three years later and have been haunting Yachtworld ever since.

So I don't think it's video games, or a generational attitude, or even the cost (I know someone who just spent $15,000 on a bicycle). It's just that most folks our age with time and money are doing other things.
Old 05-18-2013

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

I'm 42 and had a young Coast Guard maybe 20-22 ask me while they were doing a safety inspection ask me what I do out there? What do you do out on the ocean when sailing? I was a little struck by the question, humm I sail. The whole CG crew all under 30 just looked at me with this deer in the headlights look like why? I couldn't get over it myself for the rest of the day. And when I do take friends out for day sails they like it but very few ask to go out again.(that just might be me) We are different. Sailing is different. I don't know why the CG crew had a hard time understanding it, they are ocean people right? Any way,I don't know why there are so few young people out there but the people who I run into are some of the most interesting people I know.

Brad
Lancer 36
Old 05-18-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I think alot of them do it for military benefits without having to worry about combat.
Old 05-18-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
So...what you are saying is that when we decide we want a bigger boat to go cruise on, we should put out an all points alert on Sailnet to be on the lookout for a 35-42 foot cruising boat that can be had for cheap and restored with only elbow grease??
How many of them do you want, and how hard are you willing to work? Until this spring there were at least 4 30 to 32 footers at my marina, and the marina is fairly small. Those boats sat there for a decade and now they've been cut up and in a landfill. One had a huge wasp nest in the cabin, and some of the others had cabins filled with nearly new sails and gear. All of that stuff went on Ebay and Craig's List last winter, and the boats were stripped of all hardware, then cut up with chain saws and placed in dump trucks. The cost to the marina to get rid of them was more than $1,000 each.

If you get to this part of the world, check with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Living Classrooms division in Baltimore. A couple years ago they had a dozen boats they were selling for $2,000 to $3,500, some of which were in excellent condition.

Gary
Old 05-18-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
How many of them do you want, and how hard are you willing to work? Until this spring there were at least 4 30 to 32 footers at my marina, and the marina is fairly small. Those boats sat there for a decade and now they've been cut up and in a landfill. One had a huge wasp nest in the cabin, and some of the others had cabins filled with nearly new sails and gear. All of that stuff went on Ebay and Craig's List last winter, and the boats were stripped of all hardware, then cut up with chain saws and placed in dump trucks. The cost to the marina to get rid of them was more than $1,000 each.

If you get to this part of the world, check with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Living Classrooms division in Baltimore. A couple years ago they had a dozen boats they were selling for $2,000 to $3,500, some of which were in excellent condition.

Gary
I will certainly keep that in mind, that said, it is likely that when the time comes we will be looking for a good deal on something a bit more "turn-key" cruising ready (with the realization that NO boat is truly "turn key"). Partially because I would rather pay 50 cents on the dollar for someone else's work and for equipment than have to totally refit a $3000 boat with $50,000 worth of equipment! That, and I would rather get "out there" sooner once the time comes than be sitting on shore rebuilding a boat.
Old 05-19-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhamlet View Post
I'm 42 and had a young Coast Guard maybe 20-22 ask me while they were doing a safety inspection ask me what I do out there? What do you do out on the ocean when sailing? I was a little struck by the question, humm I sail. The whole CG crew all under 30 just looked at me with this deer in the headlights look like why? I couldn't get over it myself for the rest of the day. And when I do take friends out for day sails they like it but very few ask to go out again.(that just might be me) We are different. Sailing is different. I don't know why the CG crew had a hard time understanding it, they are ocean people right? Any way,I don't know why there are so few young people out there but the people who I run into are some of the most interesting people I know.

Brad
Lancer 36

+1. Interesting post Brad. It is difficult to explain what we get out of sailing that makes the expense, time and effort worth it. What do you do when you are out there sailing??? That's amazing.....we are different, for sure. All week I work in an office, with politics, aggravation, deadlines, ... I sit in traffic jams, curse the world. Then - on the boat those things seem unimportant and its almost like I become Sal Paradise again, I come back to being myself when I sail.

Sal Paradise

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-19-2013 at 07:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal Paradise For This Useful Post:
Bradhamlet (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
So...what you are saying is that when we decide we want a bigger boat to go cruise on, we should put out an all points alert on Sailnet to be on the lookout for a 35-42 foot cruising boat that can be had for cheap and restored with only elbow grease??
Well, I just hope you're not too wedded to the notion that you definitely need something over 35' to "go cruising on"... Nice to have, perhaps, but such size is certainly not a requirement to really go places...

Lots of folks out there doing just fine on boats considerably smaller, or older... Here's but one example, Thies Matzen and Kiki Erickson on the legendary WANDERER III...

http://www.cruisingworld.com/people/...er-iii-a-toast

Old 05-19-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
We're missing the obvious. The median income is waaay down in this country and the under 35 crowd has been hit by this disproportionally.

For my generation (I'm 48) you came out of college, bought a house and started a family. A few years later as your career progressed you could start to think about things like motorcycles and sailboats.

Close to 50% of college grads today move back in with their parents because their school loans are the equivalent of a mortgage. For those who don't go to college the days of getting into a union where you could earn a good wage and have benefits are pretty much over.

There are certainly nuances to this, but the underlying economics play a huge role.

Think about it this way. When I was in school we all worked in McDonalds or the mall to earn beer and gas money. Walk into a fast food joint today and it's not kids but adults in their 20's and 30's behind the counter. That tells you a lot. That 30 year old working at McD's certainly isn't thinking about buying a sailboat.
Yep. Thats the way i see it too. Employment was how i made a living before i became a high-paid sailnet moderator!! It is a disaster out there for a lot of the new generation. Wont get too political, but i dont see it really getting better either. In fact, i think it will get a lot worse eventually.

That being said, many young people have kids and very demanding jobs. They dont get a lot of time off and what they get may be better invested in soccer games and school plays and fixing junk around the house. Many of todays mom and dads both have to work to make ends meet and often put in 60 plus hours a week.

How do you fit sailing into that? Answer is you dont or you are someone that is very committed to it (both of you).

Sad really.

I am the guy that committed to it. First fixed keel in my mid 20s. Moved aboard at 29. Had my son on board at 5 days old. Thirteen years later and I am now typing this from the keys - on my boat, enjoying life. But i had to commit to it. Most people wont do that and theres nothing wrong with that. Too bad though because its a great life

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-19-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, I just hope you're not too wedded to the notion that you definitely need something over 35' to "go cruising on"... Nice to have, perhaps, but such size is certainly not a requirement to really go places...

Lots of folks out there doing just fine on boats considerably smaller, or older... Here's but one example, Thies Matzen and Kiki Erickson on the legendary WANDERER III...

http://www.cruisingworld.com/people/...er-iii-a-toast

Great story! Yeah, I realize that we don't have to have a 35+ foot boat to "get out there and do it," and if the right ~32 footer came along, I would certainly consider it, but I would prefer something in the 37-39 [35 and 42 being the extreme ends of the range I would prefer] foot range both for living comfort and sailing speed.

I have a feeling that (from my perusing of YachtWorld and Sailboatlistings) that when the time comes we'll end up with a Tartan 37 or similar based on the price/performance/size/aesthetics ratios. I like the looks of that boat and she is highly rated for the things that we would like to do.

Last edited by Rhys05; 05-19-2013 at 08:27 PM.