Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013

Chartreuse is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Lots of great stuff here... I agree with many that younger people do want things on the faster side; food, internet etc.-And I would say patience is not a virtue among my younger friends. But I think the monetary cost and work and learning associated with sailing plays a bigger role. Among the youth I have encountered, Sailing is this romantic idea resolved to the wealthy. This is true if the idea of a 30 footer as an entry level or smaller vessel prevails, as the costs of well suited 30 footers DOES make entering sailing a costly endeavor. If I had a 35 or 40 foot boat for free, the cost to run the thing would probably exceed affordability for me.
I also find that some of my younger friends are near obsessed with popular culture. Sailing just doesnt seem to be a part of that, rendering the sport useless to them. "Im on a boat!" novelty wears off quick- then on the next.
If you want to sail now you will find a way. Im 30 now, had a sunfish for about 4 years then got an old 26' sloop. (26 feet seemed awfully big for an 'entry level' keelboat!)I knew it would need work-repairs, maintenance, and that moorings, equipment, hauling and paint all cost money, but you dont have to do everything at once. The work is the tradeoff for keeping entrance and ongoing costs low. I dont need it if I cant afford it (for the most part... I do need a gunboat)
That said, there is a big investment beyond money in sailing. The learning seems (and most likely is) endless. If you want in cheap, you must invest time to work on things, and to learn...And to mess up things and to fix those things that you have messed up. But the research is ever important-for the frugal minded can't just walk into west marine and buy. Learn what you need, then learn how to get it or make it, whichever is cheaper (or safer).

Anyway, I have met a couple younger sailors (none in Mt Sinai!(yet)), but I relish the opportunity to talk to any older, friendly sailor. I almost always learn something because they have been through a lot of the things a younger sailor will encounter. I plan to meet many more this season in my home port as Ive given up my apartment and plan to live on my boat for most of the summer. Now, im off to learn about, construct, break and rebuild mounts for my solar panels!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2013

KBob is on a distinguished road

Hi there sailnet!
I guess I'm one of the younger sailors, though not a cruiser. I'm 35 and have had an 40 year old Albin Vega (27') for 4 years now.

Me and my wife hadn't really sailed at all before I decided to get the boat, but the madness had grown for a while, until late one march evening I informed her I had bought a boat.
Since then we've both taken basic sailing courses and done 2-3 week cruises every summer, and quite a bit of weekend sailing. We both work, and like to spend as much of our nice 4 week summer vacations on the boat with our two cats, sailing up and down (or left and right) the Finnish Gulf -coast.

I would like to take a longer period off and go sailing around europe, but it is kinda hard to achieve, since we have a mortgage etc. Maybe it is a need for security, but when I suggested to the wife that we sell the apartment and go bouncing around for 5 years, I got voted down.

As to the comforts thing. Our boat has no shower, but we do have her equipped with a diesel heater to keep the boat warm and dry if it rains for 3 weeks straight (it certainly seemed like, last summer), a solar panel to keep our phones and other toys charged etc.
The boat is just right for two people (and two felines) to line in for a few weeks.

Well, enough rambling.

Mikko
S/Y Ikiturso
Albin Vega 1005
Old 05-20-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartreuse View Post

Anyway, I have met a couple younger sailors (none in Mt Sinai!(yet)), but I relish the opportunity to talk to any older, friendly sailor. I almost always learn something because they have been through a lot of the things a younger sailor will encounter. ...
"Older" does not always mean "more experienced." There are plenty of older sailors who are just as new to sailing and I've met many younger sailors who have way more experience than me. (I consider myself in that vague region between "old" and "young.")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-20-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Donna, don't worry about the age category - if you don't grow up by the time you reach 55 you don't have to! I should know.

Gary
Old 05-20-2013

rivorsaylor is on a distinguished road

I'm 38. Does that put me in the young or old category? I feel young and love to sail. I live in Missouri and never gave sailing a second thought until I was 28. A friend who moved to Portland, OR had just bought a 27' Catalina and was living aboard on the Columbia River. I had to go out for a visit, I stayed for a week and just fell in love with sailing. I got home from that trip and bought my first sailboat, a Hunter 19 and started trailering her to most of the lakes in the state and the Mississippi River. I now own a 25' Catalina and sail on the Mississippi River out of Portage des Sioux. This year I'm in a new marina and I think I am the youngest one there, but all the other sailors I have met so far are really friendly folks who seem to share the same passion as me. I sail with many younger people and really enjoy trying to get new folks on the boat whenever I can. I only know one friend of a friend, in his twenties, who own a sailboat. I would guess that cost, or perceived cost is the number one road block to many younger folks. It's just a matter of priorities, and for me, once I got bit, it literally changed my life. For the better. Now, I have figured out a way to take the summer/fall off of work so I can sail more. The season is just starting around here, flood waters going down and my boat, Peanut, is all ready. Life is good.
Old 05-21-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Something else I have noticed from my co-workers. Only one is interested in going sailing. The rest think sailing is "too much work"

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 05-21-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Something else I have noticed from my co-workers. Only one is interested in going sailing. The rest think sailing is "too much work"
I get the same thing when I take some of my water skiing friends out. Of all the people in the world, I would think they would get it. What's so strange about spending all of your time and money so that you can exhaust yourself making a boat go in circles to ultimately get you back to the same place you started!?

On second thought... Why do we do this to ourselves?

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 05-21-2013

Sailnteacher77 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys!

I am a high school teacher (35) I started living aboard and cruising on a Hunter 34 when I was 23 years old. I did it for 3 years but the storms and cost drove me back to land. I have owned a few sailboats since - most recently a 37 legend and as of next week (hopefully) a Morgan 43.

My wife and I live in New York City and do all of our sailing over the summer, but we never see the city during that summer. (She works for Delta and is able to take time off when I am off). I sacrifice many things for this lifestyle - putting off having children, taking administrator positions for more money and more security, time with family and friends. I can only afford to do all work myself, so even when not cruising I am hard at work and spending money!

The only other younger cruisers I come accross are guys and gals straight out of college but with no clue what they want to do with their lives. They grab a 27-30 ft sailboat from the 70's and just go.. stopping to bartend or sell cars along the way when they run out of money.

But, that being said - I enjoy having close friends spanning 40 years in age.. keeps things interesting and makes for some great cruises!

Over all for people who are younger.. it is a road less travelled, alternative lifestyle.. I wouldn't go back and change a thing over the past 10 years, and I will keep sailing!!
Old 05-21-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailnteacher77 View Post
Hey guys!

I am a high school teacher (35) I started living aboard and cruising on a Hunter 34 when I was 23 years old. I did it for 3 years but the storms and cost drove me back to land. I have owned a few sailboats since - most recently a 37 legend and as of next week (hopefully) a Morgan 43.

My wife and I live in New York City and do all of our sailing over the summer, but we never see the city during that summer. (She works for Delta and is able to take time off when I am off). I sacrifice many things for this lifestyle - putting off having children, taking administrator positions for more money and more security, time with family and friends. I can only afford to do all work myself, so even when not cruising I am hard at work and spending money!

The only other younger cruisers I come accross are guys and gals straight out of college but with no clue what they want to do with their lives. They grab a 27-30 ft sailboat from the 70's and just go.. stopping to bartend or sell cars along the way when they run out of money.

But, that being said - I enjoy having close friends spanning 40 years in age.. keeps things interesting and makes for some great cruises!

Over all for people who are younger.. it is a road less travelled, alternative lifestyle.. I wouldn't go back and change a thing over the past 10 years, and I will keep sailing!!
Yea, the floating lifestyle is usually how us young college grads start out.
After recently watching a documentary about the rwanadan genocide and getting really fed up with the non stop scandals and degregation of America I have decided to pursue a career in volunteer work, such as Red Cross or Unicef. To tell you the truth I have a small mind to just show up.
Dont tell me if I made it to Jordan and volunteered at a refugee camp I would not find work. If I made that trip I would find work, meaningul work. I care not about money, but people (even with my lack of liability! crazy I know, but seriously I really do care. Makes me cry sometimes all the hurt out there. Im a grown man, I cry for there suffering.
So I decided thats what I will dedicate myself to. Being a sailor and volunteer. What could be abetter life?
Old 05-21-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Once I make it to New Smryna and get situated that is what I will dedicate myself to. Keep you posted.