Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

There are animals suffering too and they didn't ask for it. You can volunteer their too. Africa is hopeless.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

Some would say the same about Earth... might as well try to make it better.

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 05-22-2013

Sailnteacher77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Once I make it to New Smryna and get situated that is what I will dedicate myself to. Keep you posted.
I hope so, man!

Ignore that last comment.... Some people don't see the value in human life. It is a long and lonely life to live that way.

Happy sailing!
Old 05-22-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
There are animals suffering too and they didn't ask for it. You can volunteer their too. Africa is hopeless.
Its only hopeless when you give up hope sir. People always deserve a chance to live, and not die.
mbetter likes this.
Old 05-22-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

... and to sail.

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 05-22-2013

Sure they do. And there are people in America, in Florida, that are homeless. And in England, and Australia, and Canada. Which is where alot of people on this boat are from. Why not help them? Everybody always wants I help Africa but Im just saying its such a corrupt, hopeless lot I don't think anything we do will make a difference. People have to want to help themselves.
Old 06-18-2013
22' Westerly Nomad

Travelnik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post

The best way I can describe more of the people I thought I would see would be European backpacking types. It's still very early I know. You read about about like lonely planet type backpackers doing adventures so I'm waiting to see them here yet.
My son is 25, and my daughter is 19. Neither one of them are into any kind of adventuring.

I thought that maybe adventuring was a hereditary thing, starting from when my great grandparents, on my mother's side, escaped the Bolshevik revolution.
On my father's side was bootlegging.
Grandfathers on both sides in WW2.
Both parents into racing and motorcycles. (My mom was a stock car racer in the late 50's.)

I was always exploring and adventuring, riding dirt bikes as a kid, drag racing, etc. I even spent a short time as a mercenary teaching hand-to-hand fighting. I didn't get to fulfill my greatest dream of sailing though.

I tried to encourage my kids to have bold adventures, but they're both into music. My son can play almost any instrument by ear, and my daughter is learning.
They're more on the creative side, and I'm proud of them both even if they don't follow the family tradition of adventure!

Anyway, the point I was getting to is that they both have friends that are into the backpacking around the world thing. Doing RTW is trendy right now, but if you look at most of the young people doing it, they're trying to make a fast trip just to have the RTW bragging rights.

It's faster to hostel-hop around the world than sail.

They go from hostel to hostel, and everything is mapped out on their iPhone or iPad. They don't need to interact with the locals to even ask directions!
They take pictures to post on their FB page or blog, and talk about meeting other RTW travelers from other countries. American fast food is everywhere they go, so they never even get to experience food from other cultures.

Cost is a big factor too.
Backpack vs. Boat
Youth Hostels vs. Marinas
Hiking Boots vs. Sails

You can see where that's headed.

I realize that not every young person is like that, but it is the current fad for many.

Some of them do it between high school and college; others after college, but both groups feel the pressure to get it done and get back so that they can become part of the "real world." Get the degree, the job, the house, the debt, etc.

There aren't many sailors around where I live either. This is bass boat country, and some of these guys around here have twin 300hp engines on the transom of an 18' bass boat! These guys are usually in the over 65 crowd too, so "fast" isn't just limited to youth!

I'm glad that there are some young people like you out there that are wanting to have some great sailing adventures, but sailing never has been a main-stream activity, and the marketing in the boat magazines doesn't help. Sure, they show the topless, or nearly nude 20 something super-model on deck, or on the pristine sands, but get out in the real world, and most of the nude women sailing are going to be in their 60's!

Just get out there and have fun northoceanbeach, no matter what age group you find to make friends with.
northoceanbeach likes this.
Old 06-18-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
They go from hostel to hostel, and everything is mapped out on their iPhone or iPad. They don't need to interact with the locals to even ask directions!
The world has changed a lot in the past 10-15 years and even more so in the era since my grandparents, or even parents, were travelling. While the use of technology may seem like it takes the fun out of exploring, it adds a measure of safety and reliability you otherwise wouldn't have. In eras past, that may not have been a big concern, but today many parts of the world are increasingly dangerous and roaming around acting like you don't know what you are doing is a recipe for disaster. It also can allow a more thorough experience and opens doors for people to participate that may not have been able otherwise.

The new technology we have today has changed things a lot, but it's a two sided coin. In some ways, things are better and in others not so much. We just need to accept that the way things are now is how they are going to be, it is the new norm. If exploring is your thing, I'd be grateful if my kids choose to go the route you describe above even with the changes. Looking back I don't know that many of my classmates really even cared about exploring foreign countries even with the technology.
Old 07-04-2013

Location: Boat is in a slip at Kentucky Lake; we live in Clarksville, TN
SunnnyD is on a distinguished road

Wanted to throw in my two cents on this one. My wife and I are in our late 30's and we recently took an ASA class in San Diego and purchased an older and inexpensive trailerable sailboat that we sail frquently on KY Lake near where we live. My "master plan" is to retire in a few years (I am in the Army and can retire with a pension pretty soon) and to purchase a bigger sailboat that we can live and cruise on for an indefinite period of time. We made the decision early on to not have any kids, and we have no debt to speak of, so it seems like a no-brainer to sail off into the sunset. She was skeptical at first, but she has become an efficient and capable 1st mate for me, and I think that by gaining confidence in the safe environment of a lake in a slower, older and simple boat, that we can gain the experience that we need to really live the dream. I know that I have kind of strayed off of the topic a bit, and I see the demographic of the people that are typical in the sailing communities that we have interacted with (often in their 60's or older) but that really doesn't bother me/us at all...
Old 07-05-2013

That's a good plan. I threw my girlfriend straight into the fire. Month of cruising when she had never sailed. First day get to the harbor at 8. Wake up and sail across the straight of Juan de Fuca. Went through one of the windiest periods of my trip.

From hiding in the cockpit in 20 knot seas against the current.
"Is it supposed to tip over?"

"Yeah yeah, didn't I tell you it did that? It does. It won't tip over all the way. It's
Supposed to be fun"

"It's not fun"