Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013

Location: Boat is in a slip at Kentucky Lake; we live in Clarksville, TN
SunnnyD is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Haha, sounds very familiar; I had a little bit of sailing experience before we took the classes, but my wife had never stepped foot on a sailboat; rather only bass boats with her family growing up. I wish I could have counted the amount of times the instructor told her when he saw the look of horror in her eyes that heeling is, "normal and necessary" when you are sailing towards the wind... now it is a fun part of the experience. Just takes a little getting used to. Add some Pacific wave action to the mix, and you really have some fun.
northoceanbeach likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

To the OP,

Money might have something to do with it too. It can take a while for young people to get enough money together to get into sailing, especially if they have children and a house and all the rest. It's not very expensive to get into day sailing, but cruising on your own boat is a different matter.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
In eras past, that may not have been a big concern, but today many parts of the world are increasingly dangerous and roaming around acting like you don't know what you are doing is a recipe for disaster.
Increasingly dangerous compared to what ?

The 1980's when you couldn't go to eastern Europe because it was Soviet bloc ?
The 1970's when there was nuclear testing in the south Pacific ?
The 1960's during the Cuban missile crisis off the coast of Florida ? Vietnam ?
The 1950's when kids practiced "Duck and cover" in preparation for a nuclear attack ?
The 1940's when there was a World War and bombs rained down on Europe ?
Etc ...

The only thing "increasingly dangerous" today are people's imaginations about what horrible things await them if they step outside without sunblock and a satellite phone.

If you're ever going to sail, probably best to do it while you have the chance, because if human history is any indicator of the future all this peace we've enjoyed for the past 20+ years won't last.

(Berlin wall, 1961)

(World war II, Dresden)

(Vietnam)

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I didn't start sailing a lot until I was 26. I would have loved to been sailing my own boat in high school and college, and after I graduated, but I was too broke. Crewing on racing boats wasn't my deal, either.

Being born rich sure would have helped.
Sal Paradise likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 07-05-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I am meeting an increasing numer of people in their 20s and 30s living aboard and getting into the cruising lifestyle. The cost of housing has caused some to clue into the fact that the ony way they can ever hope to own a home, is if the home is a boat.
I have owned my own home debt free since my early 20s, something which would have been impossible for me on land.
wind_magic likes this.
Old 07-08-2013

SkipperK is on a distinguished road

24 here and recently bought a Vic 18. By no means will I be cruising, but at least it's a step in the right direction.
Old 07-09-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Well im laying my my V berth right now with a fan blowing on me direct and the forward hatch and both ports open and its still pretty warm. My 80 watt solar panal never seems to make battery voltage green and no seems are trying to invade my privy space.
Cruising and liveaboard two different things imo. Of course my boat is not fancy with AC refrigeration satellite tv shower ect ect.
ill stick it out two or three years. Then im selling this boat and moving back on land fo eva.
prolly will buy a sunfish or something for sailing. Will never live aboard again ever. Its not my passion. Yet ive done it, built the boat, started ocean sailing, and will do a summer or two in the Bahamas. That will be enough for me.
Why dont young people cruise? Bc we cant afford island packets. Living aboard for us is like living out of a pop up. It aint grand.
Old 07-09-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I'm more glad everyday that I chose seattle over Florida. The heat! I can't sleep in the heat.

Nah bflorida has better cruising in a way. It's just that its the rest of the year. But still glad I'm here

I know it gets cramped. Believe me I feel it but its not bad. I don't think I even want a boat over 30 feet. Too much maintenance. My friend has a ranger 33. Great boat. Lots more room than mine, but I sail way more. It's so easy to get everything put up and taken down. And if I here one more story about inboard engine problems I don't think I'll ever be able to get one.

I'm hooked. For me this is just the beginning. I will do this on and off for life. I'm not going to be a diehard live aboard. But a lifelong cruiser. It's the best way to live for me. Life is better and easier. I can live anywhere anyone would want to live and for less. San Diego? 1 million+ for an ocean view and fighting traffic or swinging on a mooring ball with 360 degree ocean views and no traffic. No bad neighbors. No trash cans and kitchen remodeling. No flat screen tvs to rot my brain.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 07-09-2013

sailorlee15 is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,
There are many younger people out there doing it. Being 26 I have scoured the net looking for blogs featuring younger people that are doing cool things in sailboats. Personally, I am sailing and refitting a Tayana 37 out of Baltimore. With a timeline to begin a world cruise in spring 2015. I think the market is amazing out there for finding classic plastic is very useable condition. Most refitting skills can be learned and there are still DIY yards out there that will let you do pretty much any job you want to on your own boat. I keep my blog at tayana37.com S/V Satori |S/V Satori[/url]. Some other examples of the sub 30 crowd are: Yacht Teleport, S/V Robin, Ben and Teresa over at sailing simplicity. If anyone knows of more that I don't have listed on my site, please message me.

I agree that the younger sector of cruising is not large, but that makes advocacy and awareness of just how accessible the lifestyle can be all the more important.
Old 07-09-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Thats a nice boat. I would only be concerned about the size and subsequent cost of maintenance slash repairs.
are you planning on solo sailing? A boat the big is very hard to maneuver into tight moorings or dockages and the force needed to crank the winches while holding the traveler line and maintaining heading can be tiresome quickly.
A two man crew would probably be needed but its not impossible to go it alone. Very cool what your doing. Refitting is fun but expensive. Learn a lot however and it feels good to say you own your own boat, dinghy or otherwise (veiled refrence).