Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

I think Gary has it right. If you define age by a number you miss a lot. At 66 I am a hell of a lot younger than some of my 35-45 friends, but I am old based on a couple of 75 year old friends. I am comfortable, too bad you aren't!

Sailing is not a inexpensive sport. Lots of competing priorities when I was younger ( faster boats one of them) and now I am lucky enough to have both. Keeps me young and I like it. Tell me I am old and I will tell you to...well, never mind I got in trouble for that once.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Mr Ritz it might not cost as much as you think.

The comment about women will love you. At first. I think that's sooo spot on.

The best way I can describe more of the people I thought I would see would be European backpacking types. It's still very early I know. You read about about like lonely planet type backpackers doing adventures so I'm waiting to see them here yet.

I don't drink so No marina bars which is a good thing and a bad or rainy nights like this. I'm goin to go to Seattle too so I'm see what types are there. I think the San Juan Islands(and Gulf) have an older demographic in the first place. I know port Townsend where I started is in the oldest county in Washington by a lot. But I'm sure that's not all there is.

Since I was thinking about this subject today I picked up a magazine and it was the blue water special so it's main Artie was about a couples four year circumnavigation and I thought before I read it. Ten bucks they're retired and. They were.
Old 05-16-2013

Mr.Ritz is on a distinguished road

all the young people I know that sail already have a ton of exp from doing it as a sport for years
Old 05-16-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

I always react to this kinda question with wtf I'm out there aren't I then stop and then remember that I used to scoff at old people my age who thought they were young.

The fact is my sailing life took a break between my late teens and my early thirties. I was starting a career and didn't realize during that period that there were many older folks who would have been happy to have me as crew for free. Just didn't occur to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2013

Mr.Ritz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Mr Ritz it might not cost as much as you think.

The comment about women will love you. At first. I think that's sooo spot on.

The best way I can describe more of the people I thought I would see would be European backpacking types. It's still very early I know. You read about about like lonely planet type backpackers doing adventures so I'm waiting to see them here yet.

I don't drink so No marina bars which is a good thing and a bad or rainy nights like this. I'm goin to go to Seattle too so I'm see what types are there. I think the San Juan Islands(and Gulf) have an older demographic in the first place. I know port Townsend where I started is in the oldest county in Washington by a lot. But I'm sure that's not all there is.

Since I was thinking about this subject today I picked up a magazine and it was the blue water special so it's main Artie was about a couples four year circumnavigation and I thought before I read it. Ten bucks they're retired and. They were.
its cheap while you are living aboard not when its dock or something is broken. Things being broken I suppose depends on how badly I get screwed on that 1100 dollar Catalina huh lol
Old 05-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

But how much does that 1100 dollar Catalina cost to fix? My brother had a mid year ford ranger. I think last year he spent 2500 fixing stuff. Maybe if you have to have a boat instead.

You'll save on gas and that can go towards your boat. I just got boat gas for the first time this week and it took 2.4 gallons. I could use that in my car in a day no problem.

I had a Catalina 22. I don't think much if anything broke. Just get it and sail it. You'll be surprised.
Old 05-16-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Based on my observations, every since the '70s, sailing has been a dying sport/activity. Many of us who own boats are older, and grew up during the heyday of sailing. Sailing does not have great appeal among most younger folks, for the reasons Bubblehead articulated. Given the demographics, we can expect a significant decrease in the sport/activity toward mid-century, when we die.
Old 05-16-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

We're missing the obvious. The median income is waaay down in this country and the under 35 crowd has been hit by this disproportionally.

For my generation (I'm 48) you came out of college, bought a house and started a family. A few years later as your career progressed you could start to think about things like motorcycles and sailboats.

Close to 50% of college grads today move back in with their parents because their school loans are the equivalent of a mortgage. For those who don't go to college the days of getting into a union where you could earn a good wage and have benefits are pretty much over.

There are certainly nuances to this, but the underlying economics play a huge role.

Think about it this way. When I was in school we all worked in McDonalds or the mall to earn beer and gas money. Walk into a fast food joint today and it's not kids but adults in their 20's and 30's behind the counter. That tells you a lot. That 30 year old working at McD's certainly isn't thinking about buying a sailboat.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-16-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Based on my observations, every since the '70s, sailing has been a dying sport/activity. Many of us who own boats are older, and grew up during the heyday of sailing. Sailing does not have great appeal among most younger folks, for the reasons Bubblehead articulated. Given the demographics, we can expect a significant decrease in the sport/activity toward mid-century, when we die.
Agreed... Hell, even among the demographic that can afford to purchase today's highest-quality production sailing yachts, the interest in sailing is declining, and morphing over to power boats...

Here's the latest sad sign of the times:

Sabre Yachts has ceased production of sailboats...

Quote:

At the current time, Sabre Yachts is not building any of it’s sailing models.

While demand for sailboats has remained weak throughout the market, and is still well below recession levels, the demand for our power boats has never been stronger.

Photos of Sailing Yachts hand crafted in Maine USA | Sabre Yachts

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-16-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2013

blr972 is on a distinguished road
Hey...I'm 25. My issue is the money. My wife and I would love to just pick up everything and go but we can't pay for it yet. I wouldn't consider myself the get everything fast type but my generation is definitely that way.