Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Frequently I get asked, "What does it cost to sail?"
My answer has become,
"As much as you have, or as little as you've got, if you REALLY want to sail. if what you really want is a "someday, maybe" dream, then it's more than you can afford. Sailors find a way around the obstacles- dreamers use the obstacles as excuses."
Very true! My boat isn't pretty and doesn't have the amenities of most, but it sails. Everything else goes on the "nice to have" list as far as I'm concerned!

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
IMHO, it's more the result of a cultural shift than a reflection of economic hard times. I'll go along with those posters who cited "self direction". ... So, yeah, cultural shift. And I don't want to mark myself as an old codger, but it's not a shift I like.
I agree that there has been a "cultural shift" Siamese. Culture is always changing, but the root cause is economic insecurity. The fact, as borne out by piles of economic data, is that it was a hell of a lot easier for people to live a middle class life 30 years ago that it is today.

Yes, there's the argument of the coddled generation. Every "old codger" generation looks at "the kids today" and reminds them how much harder it was back in my day. And yes, there's some truth to it as well. But people haven't changed that much in the last 50,000 years. We all need the basics before we can move on to the luxuries. The simple fact is that for the vast majority of people in our societies, the basics have been getting hard to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedaggett View Post
...As I get older and more established in my business and further into my Mortgage then it will likely open up for me. But for now I sail other peoples boats and jump on where and when I can. That for now is my sailing plight. Not that I don't want to it is that I can't
Exactly my point gedaggett. The typical middle-class Western kid gets out of high school, has a brief foray of freedom (and even that is a luxury for the relatively richer families), and then races into university, which now costs way more than it used to, marriage and kids (another huge cost), car, house, healthcare (esspecially for Americans), career expenses, etc...

From the 1950s to the end of the 1970s we could do all this on one income, and still have enough to save a significant amount. IOW we had much more discretionary spending. Since the end of the 1970s incomes have flatlined, costs have gone up, and people no longer have the freedom to play.
blowinstink and Networker like this.
Old 05-16-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post

Maybe there is somebody in the area that rents out slips in Chicago? or even a nearby lakeside town?
I had found the cheapest spot in trail creek marina in Michigan city Indiana. I would keep her on the trailer for the first half of the year and then move it to a slip after prices were cut in half around the first week of August. Best sailing is had in September and October and that is when I was on the slip. Nothing cheaper and I had to stay draft of 3 foot or less which was fine with the swing keel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 05-16-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I personally think a lot of this extends from the price of new boats. Many of them cost the same or more than a small home. And for that you get 40 feet by 12 feet of "space" not all of which is living space. If given the choice between a house and a boat, which do you think most people would buy?

It is also that the majority of people are -not- boat people. Even living and working along the atlantic ocean, the percentage of the population that actually owns a boat is rather low.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I personally think a lot of this extends from the price of new boats. Many of them cost the same or more than a small home. And for that you get 40 feet by 12 feet of "space" not all of which is living space. If given the choice between a house and a boat, which do you think most people would buy?
I don't think I know anyone, young or old, who buys new boats. Of the over 80 sailboats on my dock I think only one of them was made in the last two decades.

I don't even think that the sailboat manufacturers going out of business is completely a result of a shrinking sailboat audience (though that is some of it). It's just that there it's nearly impossible to figure out a financial reason to buy a new 30' cruiser/racer boat for over $100k when you can get a great 30 year old used example that needs little work for $15-$25k (or a nice example that will need a repower in the next 5 years and new sails now for much less).
Old 05-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Yeah I don't know who buys new boats.

It's also a problem because they made them so damn good that you can get a boat from forty years ago that still sails. You can't do that with a car. Barring classic cars that have been extensively restored cars just break at a certain point. Maybe the sailboat industry did themselves in when they invented fiberglass.

I realize people put career and family first but don't some people not? Like the stereotypical surfer. Just squeaks by through life having a good time. I am looking for the sailing equivalent of that.

Career can be a good and bad thing because on one hand it makes it possible to afford a boat. You just have I pick the right career.

Children are the death of dreams to me. Once you have them especially more than one and especially in this day and age, you are now a slave to your kids and sailing and cruising is gone.

I don't think it's a generational shift to tv and video games. People still do stuff it's just, ok it might be a gen shift. I was going to say people do more packaged entertainment. But people have been glued to the tv since it was invented. People say tv has gotten worse but fifty years ago it was absolute rubbish with such censorship that you got trite meaningless shows like leave it to beaver or Andy Griffith that people watched and said look how nice our lives are and then walked over and slept with the neighbors wife. They weren't better more moral people back then, they just were like a southern conservative. Scream loud enough how good and right you are and hopefully Boone will see the hideous things you do behind closed doors.

Maybe except the seventies when things got a little more experimental but when was this golden age where everyone was an adventurer and sailing and doing great things? I see history of row houses and folks going to work with their lunch pail so they could afford two kids a house and a car.

I would think if anything people choosing to not have kids these days and having more freedom in society, that with the economy like you say, well if you just got out of college and there aren't the jobs they promised there would be why move in within mom but go get a boat in San Diego and see if Mexico really is as bad as they say?

It's not happening but I'm not sure why. I think sailing might be becoming a marine RV park. But before you think to hard on the next generation are these RV ers that much better? They seem to share no sense of the comeraderie with me I had expected. No one wants to talk about sailing or god forbid offers to help. It like I'm pulling up to the RV park blasting metal with an upside down cross tattooed to my forehead the way half the people look at me around here. Definitely Harold and Maude look out of their cockpit enclosure with leery eyes. Heaven forbid they got up off their ass and helped me hit the dock on a windy day. The other day the wind was going one way the current the other an I was being pillows at an angle from the slip before I could jump off. Four old couple in four boats sat there and stated. Nobody came and spent two seconds holding my bow. It's not good is all I'm saying. I'm less than impressed. I thought people would form a common bond because there aren't that many of us here now. But I think they are being too comfortable.
I think a lot of them are sitting watching the same tv gen x is. They're just doing it from a boat v

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 05-16-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

northoceanbeach:

Huh, I get mostly the opposite of what you are saying where I am. Most of the old dudes at our sailing club are friendly and helpful. But then...inland lake...much smaller and less expensive boats...mostly blue collar and engineer members and not many high rollers may be biasing me away from the "hoity toity" image you are seeing.
Old 05-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

In Port Townsend people were a lot better. Honolulu too. The latter having many more dreamers coming to Hawaii and getting a sailboat
Old 05-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Children are the death of dreams to me. O ce you have them especially more than one and especially in this day and age, you are now a slave to your kids and sailing and cruising is gone.

I guess that's a rather blunt way of saying that you made a decision based on the lifestyle that you want to live.

We chose to not have children but I don't view children as a "death to dreams." It was just a different path I decided to take based on how I want to live. I was fortunate to find a partner who shares my feelings. We love our nieces and nephews and enjoy sailing and other activities with them. We just never felt ready for the full-time responsibility of raising children and then age took care of the decision more or less.

There are lots of cruisers and sailors with children. Not everyone has to make a choice between the two. I love seeing kids enjoying the sailing and cruising life and seeing how their world expands. It keeps me hopeful.
MikeOReilly likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-16-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Children are the death of dreams to me.
And that's one less young sailor in the world!

(Previously posting as LemonHead)