Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Where are the younger people?

kids can kill your dreams ... or be a part of them. if the kids kill your dreams, then it WAS only a dream. If the kids become part of the dream it is no longer a dream- it is a lifestyle.

north, sorry to hear you're not getting a real friendly reception. I don't know whether you are in introvert or an extrovert, but sometimes people view their boat, and their slip as their home. Just as most folks don't rush out and greet the neighbours every time they pull into their driveway on the dirt, you have to make the first move. when you show up at a new marina.

I know you are a non-drinker, but someotimes it helps to keep a 6 pack or two on board. Climb out of the cockpit, onto the dock, wave to a likely looking neighbour with a couple of beers in your hands and say,
"Hi, I'm new, mind if I ask you a couple of questions about the area?" or
"That's a beautiful boat- what can you tell me about her?"
THAT question will start at least one evening's worth of conversation.

As far as docking, ...maybe nobody comes to help you, because you don't look like you need help?

Again sometimes it helps to be proactive. Yelling "a little help here??!!?" gives some folks the hint.

My experience has been different- I have never had trouble getting volunteer dockhands on a tough landing...sometimes too helpful.
DRFerron, tdw, blowinstink and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Children certainly need not be the 'death of dreams'... only if you collectively choose to make it so.

Children are often more adaptable than their parents. My granddaughter has been boating since birth and it was funny to see her enter preschool and kindergarten and suddenly realize that not every kid went sailing once a week or so like she did.

I hate it when I hear someone say 'used to sail but had to quit 'cause we had kids'.. If it's not a purely financial decision I think it's more down to the parents' reluctance to adapt and do what's necessary to have children on board. It takes some planning and forethought...
DRFerron likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-16-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeAquam View Post
And that's one less young sailor in the world!
Main reason I would want to have a kid or two (and believe me, I sympathize with the "kids are the death of dreams" thing...thinking about having a kid scares the poop out of me..) is for this conversation between myself at ~60 and my ~25 year old kid:

Me: Hey, remember your first rounding of Cape Horn at when you were 5?

Him/Her: Yep! Holy cow that was a great trip, but I think that the storm off of Cape Leeuwin when I was 10 was the high light of our trips when I was a kid.

Me: Well, I'm thinking about sailing to New Zealand soon...feel like coming along?

Him/Her: Umm...duh...why WOULDN'T I!?

...or something like that!
Old 05-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

It's still very very early or me to be making some if the broad generalizations I am. Alm comments should have a so far after them.

So many things are going so well. But if its going right I don't write about it because I don't have any questions!

It's the age question that has been coming up so I thought I'd post my thoughts. Like I said. In kind of thinking some of why I'm saying has to do with where I am not only with sailing as a whole. These islands are very private property centered, you can even own the beach! So I think that mentality is prevalent in the sailors here as well.
I'm standing by the kids thing though.
Old 05-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
Main reason I would want to have a kid or two (and believe me, I sympathize with the "kids are the death of dreams" thing...thinking about having a kid scares the poop out of me..) is for this conversation between myself at ~60 and my ~25 year old kid:

Me: Hey, remember your first rounding of Cape Horn at when you were 5?

Him/Her: Yep! Holy cow that was a great trip, but I think that the storm off of Cape Leeuwin when I was 10 was the high light of our trips when I was a kid.

Me: Well, I'm thinking about sailing to New Zealand soon...feel like coming along?

Him/Her: Umm...duh...why WOULDN'T I!?

...or something like that!
That how the idealistic thinking of kids goes. If you get the exact kid you want which is probably a reflection of yourself. I've thought like that too. But isn't it more likely to be the other way? Do you want a diaper bin on your boat? A baby screaming from somewhere, throwing food all around, crying all night after you've spent a tough day on the water? And the money. They're not free. A lot if people commented on this post that in this economy it's hard to afford a luxury like even a modest sailboat. I you were buying cribs and diapers you would have way less money for YOUR activities.
Old 05-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post

No one wants to talk about sailing or god forbid offers to help. It like I'm pulling up to the RV park blasting metal with an upside down cross tattooed to my forehead the way half the people look at me around here. ...
Do you have the option to go to another marina? Maybe do some dockwalking and scope out a different atmosphere?

It sounds like you just chose the wrong place to land. Nothing says that you have to stay there forever, unless, of course, it's your only marina.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That how the idealistic thinking of kids goes. If you get the exact kid you want which is probably a reflection of yourself. I've thought like that too. But isn't it more likely to be the other way? ...
It's just as likely that it is not going to be the other way. But, we get that kids aren't for you. How about a happy post? We like to hear about what's going right with your sailing, too.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-16-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That how the idealistic thinking of kids goes. If you get the exact kid you want which is probably a reflection of yourself. I've thought like that too. But isn't it more likely to be the other way? Do you want a diaper bin on your boat? A baby screaming from somewhere, throwing food all around, crying all night after you've spent a tough day on the water? And the money. They're not free. A lot if people commented on this post that in this economy it's hard to afford a luxury like even a modest sailboat. I you were buying cribs and diapers you would have way less money for YOUR activities.
Oh believe me, I know. There IS a reason I don't have one yet...the 0-5 ages scare me too much...but at the same time...that is a finite stretch of time...and having an adult child or two down the line does sound attractive. Money? Well, I'm guessing that the Windtraveler couple don't spend nearly as much on their baby as most landbased people do on theirs buying all the latest gadgets and gewgaws. I made due with wooden swords and my imagination as a kid...I would expect any kid I may have to do the same!
Old 05-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
You're single, aren't you?

Hell, dude, if most of us are being honest, we didn't PLAN to have kids. One good bonus at work which leads to a celebratory dinner which leads to a bottle of really nice red wine in a friday night, and three weeks later somebody's peeing on a stick...
and then you deal with it.
and you make it work.

I know a fellow poster here on SN and his family- he, his wife, and 4 kids all packed onto an S2 8.0...and all of them having a great time, grinning like fools. They all enjoyed it so much they moved up to a 30+ foot C&C and they are all still grinning.

Old 05-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
..... These islands are very private property centered, you can even own the beach!
I believe you're in the Canadian gulf islands, are you not??? In no way can anyone own the beach. No private individual or corporation can 'own' anything below the high tide line. Even if there's a water lot lease in effect I don't believe you can be denied access to the 'beach'.

I'm sorry you're not having a good experience, but even more I'm surprised to hear you say so. Our experience (and I'd like to think our behaviour) is/would be very different.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)