Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

My most regular sailing buddy (the one who was halfway up the mast when you met me) has a 3 year old. This year he's doing a week trip in Panama (not on his boat obviously) and they'll be doing a couple of few night trips around the sound. I'm happy with my choice to not have children, but I've also seen enough children on boats to know that it can be done. It does change the financial and time off mix in a way that doesn't favor sailing though.

I love sailing with his child. When he was 2 he came up with the most creative words for nautical things (like "squishing water" for when we're going fast enough to leave a wake). I think he only knows the word "hamburger" as a big flat buoy that sea lions like to sit on. He doesn't always love sailing and is coming to terms with boat heel this year, but I still think I get more out of sailing by sometimes seeing it through the eyes of a 3 year old. I look forward to when he is a few years older and is ready to help out and be part of the sailing.
Old 05-16-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
You're single, aren't you?

Hell, dude, if most of us are being honest, we didn't PLAN to have kids. One good bonus at work which leads to a celebratory dinner which leads to a bottle of really nice red wine in a friday night, and three weeks later somebody's peeing on a stick...
and then you deal with it.
and you make it work.

I know a fellow poster here on SN and his family- he, his wife, and 4 kids all packed onto an S2 8.0...and all of them having a great time, grinning like fools. They all enjoyed it so much they moved up to a 30+ foot C&C and they are all still grinning.
Damn...they aren't LIVING ABOARD fulltime an S2 8.0 are they? One of those at my club, not much bigger than my 7.9...it would be hard to just have two people living on one of those full time...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

No, but they were constant weekenders, and they got more cruising miles under their belts every season than most of the old salts, on bigger boats, that rarely leave the dock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
No, but they were constant weekenders, and they got more cruising miles under their belts every season than most of the old salts, on bigger boats, that rarely leave the dock.
Cool, still pretty impressive though!
Old 05-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

In having a good time. You'd have to meet me. My personality or mood really doesn't come across right over the forums.

I also think that posting good things is like gloating. I don't know why I think that. So you're not ping to see alot of "what I did today" posts. Because do you really want to hear about me seeing orcas five feet away and the subset and how exciting when I hit my first waves and on and on? That's just bragging. So I use the forum to try to solve problems I'm having or figure something out I'm curious about. It doesn't mean I'm in a bad mood or unhappy. I thought I it more as analytical. I'm jot negative but also not everythingnis great, great all the time.

Being out here, especially last night and this morning with fog and drizzle and no wind gives me time to think about alot and I'm new to this and forming my experiences and some things are different than expected. I expected every single person to be white and they are so I did t post about why only white people sail. I expected there to be periods or rain and no wind, I expected the currents to run like they do so well, you get it.
Old 05-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
In having a good time. You'd have to meet me. My personality or mood really doesn't come across right over the forums.
I'm glad you really are enjoying the experience.

Quote:
... I expected every single person to be white and they are so I did t post about why only white people sail. ...
Good! We beat that topic to death and back last year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
... do you really want to hear about me seeing orcas five feet away and the su(n)set and how exciting when I hit my first waves and on and on? .
Yep.
That ain't bragging. That is a ship's log.

Unless you really are talking about the "subset." I don't really want to hear about stats or math. Sunsets are good though.

Old 05-16-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Me to lazy today to read all the post but I wanted to comment...

I feel very fortunate that we are able to sail, especially with the boat we have. Considering all the other expenses we have, mortgage, child care, etc etc. For example, for the past 8 years we have spent on average around $20,000 per year just on child care (and to think I thought it would be less when they went to school? HA!) $160,000 would buy a real nice boat

There are a lot of generalizations being made in this thread about the younger generations...I think its what you old farts do? I will probably will too someday, if not already Just the other day at the club it took all my will power not to jump into a conversation about this very topic. The generalizations were so over inflated I just had to start laughing. I chose not to engage them since I am the new kid on the block but it was entertaining to say the least.

I have discussed the lifestyle that Brian/Crusingdad embraces and lives a few times and its discussed often with my wife. I would do it now but she is not ready, I try not to hold that against her I grew up around boats and the bay, its always been a part of my life and I want to share in those memories and experiences with my children. We are fortunate that they love sailing and all things related to the boat, abet some readjustment since we were 100% land lubbers for the past two years. They seem to be pretty much right back into the swing of things so to speak.

The news that Sabre is stopping production of sailboats is a statement and sad because they are truly works of art. My guess though is they have not diversified themselves enough and IIRCC they only produce two models? Unlike a similar brand, Tartan who is now producing 7 models ranging from a true day sailer called the Fantail in three different configurations to their flagship model, the 5300. Sabre hasn't released a newly designed model in how many years? So if you look at it from that perspective its really not that surprising to me.

Back on topic...

How well does the sailing industry advertise itself? I would say not well at all. Add to that, its expensive operate with little income to support it, plus how many high schools and or colleges around the country could or have sailing programs...and ask them to stand up to the income sports like Football...no way.

No doubt there are less young people sailing, or boating in general exception being a small runabout or jet ski. Too expensive!

I'm just rambling because I don't want to grade final exams!

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-16-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

I tell people I sail and they look at me like I have two heads. It is just something that 99% of the population will never be exposed to. If that sounds wrong to you, then perhaps you live within a few miles of the coast which makes you different than 99% of the population.

I grew up on the water. I've been in boats as long as I've had memories. But even growing up in southern Virginia, I didn't know anybody that sailed. I spent most of my time on lakes and on the James River, and that's not fit to sail any farther inland than Williamsburg / Jamestown. Even then ship/tug/barge traffic is likely to run you down in such a restrictive waterway. Let's just say you will spend a lot of time as the give-way vessel.

The one time I had been on a sailboat, I was 9 years old and I got a ride on a sunfish across the lake and back. That was also the last opportunity I had until I went out purposefully looking to take sailing lessons as an adult.

Why is sailing as a whole not mainstream? The truth is you can get a loan for a speedboat fairly easily. A decent, almost brand new powerboat can be had for the price of a car. You can't touch anything with sails on it that the bank will finance in that price range, and yes- most of the population finances. (stupid or not, that's how every redneck I knew had a truck and a bass boat).

A $15K sailboat is probably 30 years old. Almost nobody will be able to finance that. A $15K bass boat / ski boat / cabin cruiser is probably a few years old and can be had *today* by driving to any boat dealer in town.

You have to WANT to sail. It's easy to start believing everyone sails if you spend a lot of time in marinas full of sailboats, but for every sailboat in a marina there are 5,000 bass boats parked in driveways.
bljones likes this.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 05-16-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
A $15K sailboat is probably 30 years old. Almost nobody will be able to finance that.
If you look hard, you can find someone that will. I know most big banks will not, but local credit unions will. In fact, I know that Space Coast Credit Union will regardless of age, minimum loan amount was $5k when I asked.

We didn't finance, but I considered it. I bought a cheaper boat that needed restoration instead of financing and view the upgrades as a form of financing that doesn't involve a bank.