Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

I don't get the question. We are younger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

If we had not financed our boat we would have settled for a smaller, maybe unsafe, maybe uncomfortable sailboat or none at all...probably would have then paid cash for a newer or new stinkpot and would have been the subject of this conversation.

Borrowing the money for a toy is certainly not the best financial decision, but the memories and experiences are worth every overpaid cent. I have no problem justifying it when my friends are on their way to soccer practice or game all day Saturday/Sunday while we enjoy a sunrise overlooking an anchorage watching the fog lift and the birds awake. Like there is even a question

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post

A $15K sailboat is probably 30 years old. Almost nobody will be able to finance that. A $15K bass boat / ski boat / cabin cruiser is probably a few years old and can be had *today* by driving to any boat dealer in town.
Actually, $15K will buy you a perfectly serviceable, decently equipped 25-26 Hunter from the mid 90s, still new enough to be financeable.

Hunter 26 boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com
big enough to summer aboard, and you can't say that about a bass boat.

Old 05-16-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Younger people don't have "The [sailing] bug", because they are just too distracted by the ability to do many other, simpler things.

I'm in my 20's and I am living on my 3rd sailboat.

A $1000 13'er after high school, a $300 16' catamaran after college, and a $15000, 28 year old Catalina 30 I purchased when I was 26, I paid for it with cash that I worked and worked and worked and worked and worked for, having to lie to both of my jobs while being a full-time college student, that the other job needed me to work this or that holiday, so I could actually get a day off - Maybe 3 days off per year, total. I didn't own a boat for those 4 years because I knew I wouldn't be able to use it, but the dream was there and I rented a Catalina 14.2 on Labor Day in Newport Beach in 2009 - Sadly I can remember - anyways, It's been worth it. I say all that because "getting into sailing" on their own, without a clue, is daunting enough to give up doing unless they have a special motivation - which is rare for that generation to have in anything for long.

Even as a liveaboard I sail at least once a week on average. I only have weekends to do it, so I am out there.

Anyways, that should give me some credibility for the rest of this:
I've only met 4 other people my age who own sailboats and use them. A lot of people want to try sailing but think there is way more to it than we all know there actually is. I can say that there's younger people, probably teenagers and 20-somethings participating in weekday races at the clubs, or take it as a college class if they're lucky, so that's nice to see.

My belief is that sailing is not as mainstream as it was in the 70s. It's been tapering off, clinging and relying on the same generation that was "young" in the 70s, and supported the manufacturing boom, and stuck with sailing until now and they are in their 60s or older finally able to enjoy it more days a week or retire and cruise and saturate the crowd of sailors.

The bottom line is that, agreeing with most of your opinions, the demographic age group of 18-30 year olds currently is taken up by so many other things. Whether it be pursuing careers professionally and paying of school debt, or sitting on dads couch playing video games and waiting for something 'get rich quick' thing to happen, there is basically access to any other interest they want, available at their fingertips, fantasy or reality.
Think about 1970, if you lived near water than you probably boated whenever you could, and you caught the bug and it stuck, you were young and it was mostly affordable and something to do because there just wasn't much else to do back then (compared to the availability of things now). Think about 2013, if you live near water you might instagram a photo of it when it's pretty, share it on facebook, while streaming a movie from your cell phone to your iTV on the flatscreen, while waiting for someone across the country to take their turn playing "words with friends". There is too much they can be doing, and not enough time or good reason to focus on just one, and it preoccupies their minds just fine.

We know sailing, as a whole, is an enormous commitment. You work to set aside money, to spend (along with your time) to tinker and fix and maintain something you are proud of so you can ultimately get those perfect days from it. People in their 40's+ learned to appreciate that - reward from hard work, before the world felt so small - but now that young demographic has it differently. If something isn't easily attainable, or popular, they probably won't waste their time for it. I know that the majority of people in this young demographic (like my friends) like the idea of sailing - the romantic sunset sails, warm breeze and clear calm water, quietly moving a sleek clean comfortable boat - as a break from their hectic multitasking lives, not as a hobby or lifestyle. My friends LOVE going out sailing, as a "day-cation" or because that "nautical look" is trending right now and they want to feel the part, but mostly so they can share it on social media and look like they have cooler lives than their friends.

If they can have that, for a day, for free (I make them supply food or beer) while I supply my boat (my main focus and passion) and I do the work from the experience I've gained sailing different craft, and it satisfies their temporary sailing bug, then why would they do more? They don't need to, and tomorrow there's going to be something else that sparks interest and they can go get fulfillment from that.

I hope that someone more my age who I bring out sailing or talks to me about sailing, gets the REAL sailing bug, the one that makes them put everything else on the back-burner and alternate your desktop background to sailing photo's and keep a watch on good weather windows, etc etc... However I know that to get this generations interest hooked on ANYTHING for life, is nearly impossible now... too much else they could do.

We obviously all think sailing the greatest thing ever, but it's not meant for everyone - The rest of the world is that everyone.

Last edited by Philzy3985; 05-16-2013 at 05:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Philzy3985 For This Useful Post:
Travelnik (06-18-2013)
Old 05-16-2013

^^^ damn, dude, you need to post more often.

Old 05-16-2013

Mr.Ritz is on a distinguished road

This got me looking at boats again the Catalina 22s are pretty cheap. Just wish I could find a way to the live the lifestyle for a few weeks this summer. So I can gain the skills needed. Seen to many people just buy a boat and almost sink it the first day.

To me this is not something you just wing. Even tho I have experience mostly on flying js I still need way more before I decide to buy a bigger boat to coastal cruise
Old 05-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
To me this is not something you just wing.
Sure it is. As long as you wing it smart.

You've hit on the catch-22 of making the leap- I want more experience on a bigger boat before I buy a bigger boat, but i can't get experience on a bigger boat because I haven't bought a bigger boat, because i don't want to buy a bigger boat until I have experience on a bigger boat.
Almost sinking a boat on the first day is stupidity and ignorance, not inexperience.
However, the key word is "almost"

Every single one of us who have committed to this addiction have all almost sunk a boat at some point or thought we were going to sink it, or made others think we were going to sink it. The reality is that it is actually pretty hard to sink a keelboat.

So go start checking out those cheap Catalina 22s and give it a try this summer.

The worst that can happen is that you hate it and sell the boat in the fall.

The best that can happen is you love it and sell the boat in the fall because you have gone big, and you ain't never going home.
T37Chef and Travelnik like this.

Old 05-16-2013

Mr.Ritz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Sure it is. As long as you wing it smart.

You've hit on the catch-22 of making the leap- I want more experience on a bigger boat before I buy a bigger boat, but i can't get experience on a bigger boat because I haven't bought a bigger boat, because i don't want to buy a bigger boat until I have experience on a bigger boat.
Almost sinking a boat on the first day is stupidity and ignorance, not inexperience.
However, the key word is "almost"

Every single one of us who have committed to this addiction have all almost sunk a boat at some point or thought we were going to sink it, or made others think we were going to sink it. The reality is that it is actually pretty hard to sink a keelboat.

So go start checking out those cheap Catalina 22s and give it a try this summer.

The worst that can happen is that you hate it and sell the boat in the fall.

The best that can happen is you love it and sell the boat in the fall because you have gone big, and you ain't never going home.

If I did just buy one I def looking for someone to come with me on my first trip
Old 05-16-2013

You'll have no shortage of volunteers here.

Old 05-16-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Shinook, you are right. If you look hard enough it can be done. I don't want to finance either. My intended point was that a motorboat is usually a signature away. While young people may not be sailing, young people are out in droves on the water.