Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Steak, OMG! pan seared!

This has been a real interesting thread. I never expected pan searing was so popular, given the fact that grille and steak are synonymous to most of us.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

We took a cooking class at Williams Sonoma a couple of years ago and the instructor was a chef from an upscale steak house. He recommended a good quality stainless pan for pan searing steak -- which Williams Sonoma just happened to sell

Once we tasted those pan seared steaks they sold a lot of pans. He showed us a couple of simple recipes and recommended de-glazing to make sauces or even just with water to clean the pan. The steak also gets a chance to rest under foil while you are de-glazing. We bought one for home, and when we upgraded to the larger boat we bought an All Clad 9" French Skillet that fits in the galley cabinet. It's a good quality pan and a lot less weight than cast iron.

My simple non-chef recipe:
Pat the steak dry then season with sea salt and cracked pepper and let it come up to room temp for around an hour.

Heat the pan and spritz the steak with a little vegetable oil or olive oil spray right before it hits the pan (no oil in the pan).

One to three minutes per side depending on thickness, remove the steak and cover with foil to rest with a thin slice of butter on each steak (I want to try that flavored butter).

Splash a little red wine into the hot pan (whatever I'm drinking while I'm cooking) and with a wooden spatula loosen up all the good bits. Add in a little bit of onion finely chopped (or dried onion flakes, whatever I have around), a little mushroom if I have it, and just a little garlic from the jar in the fridge. Let it cook on low for a bit until the onions are translucent and the wine cooked down a little. Then add in a little flour/water mix to thicken the sauce.

Plate the steaks with some potatoes and asparagus. Pour the wine reduction over the steaks, pour yourself another glass of wine and head for the cockpit to eat and watch the sunset.

It's a hard life folks, but it's the one we've chosen

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-17-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking the last couple weeks of going with stainless cookware. The non-stick on some of my current cookware is not holding too well.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 05-17-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Shawn is correct,

I have seen London Broil sold under various cuts of meat. Top round, skirt steak, bottom round. Traditionally it's flank steak. Marinating for a few hours with something acidic will break down some of the connective tissue which gives it toughness. Acids can be vinegars, wines , or tomato product.

Grill and like Shawn stated slice thinly across the grain on a slight angle. ( sometimes it can change depending on the meat ) the way you slice it makes all the difference . Try and use a slicing knife with a thin blade.
I think that "London Broil" is a marketing term more than anything and can apply to most any flat lean cut. In the seafood department a similar thing, cod or haddock=scrod basically refer to any mild white flaky fish and often it is used interchangeably and often inaccurately as haddock and Cod are both species or genus of fish while scrod is generic. There can be regional differences as well.

Yes London Broil by nature is going to be tough, but you eat it for the flavor, and slice it thin to minimize the size of the connective tissue. Now if I only had a source for some good aged steaks. My old meat purveyor used to give me "samples" of nice aged steaks when I had a Spanish Tapas Bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
We took a cooking class at Williams Sonoma a couple of years ago and the instructor was a chef from an upscale steak house. He recommended a good quality stainless pan for pan searing steak -- which Williams Sonoma just happened to sell

Once we tasted those pan seared steaks they sold a lot of pans. He showed us a couple of simple recipes and recommended de-glazing to make sauces or even just with water to clean the pan. The steak also gets a chance to rest under foil while you are de-glazing. We bought one for home, and when we upgraded to the larger boat we bought an All Clad 9" French Skillet that fits in the galley cabinet. It's a good quality pan and a lot less weight than cast iron.

My simple non-chef recipe:
Pat the steak dry then season with sea salt and cracked pepper and let it come up to room temp for around an hour.

Heat the pan and spritz the steak with a little vegetable oil or olive oil spray right before it hits the pan (no oil in the pan).

One to three minutes per side depending on thickness, remove the steak and cover with foil to rest with a thin slice of butter on each steak (I want to try that flavored butter).

Splash a little red wine into the hot pan (whatever I'm drinking while I'm cooking) and with a wooden spatula loosen up all the good bits. Add in a little bit of onion finely chopped (or dried onion flakes, whatever I have around), a little mushroom if I have it, and just a little garlic from the jar in the fridge. Let it cook on low for a bit until the onions are translucent and the wine cooked down a little. Then add in a little flour/water mix to thicken the sauce.

Plate the steaks with some potatoes and asparagus. Pour the wine reduction over the steaks, pour yourself another glass of wine and head for the cockpit to eat and watch the sunset.

It's a hard life folks, but it's the one we've chosen

Yea my all clad pan is one of the few bones of contention in my divorce! Though I am looking to switch to some carbon steel as they are inexpensive and much lighter weight. Sounds like a nice dinner, what time should I arrive?

I think living aboard freezer space is going to be the hardest adjustment as I have always made my own stock and freeze it in ice cube trays and used it to make sauce as needed, and of course compound butters.
Old 05-17-2013
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road

I have with interest and amazement read the last 54 postings and after reading a couple I had to scroll back to the top of the page to make sure I was on a sailing related website and not a cooking blog. I think 3 mentioned sailing.
As for those who like to grill ON THEIR BOAT use a infra-red type of propane grill which get up to 650 degree F (340 plus C)
Happy sailing

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 05-17-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

It could have been in off topic or provisioning, But it is sailing related, even though I didn't say it was. even still.. so what? What is so terrible about something being in the wrong forum?

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Yea my all clad pan is one of the few bones of contention in my divorce! Though I am looking to switch to some carbon steel as they are inexpensive and much lighter weight. Sounds like a nice dinner, what time should I arrive?
Anyone with a bottle of wine who likes to laugh and tell stories is welcome on our boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I think living aboard freezer space is going to be the hardest adjustment as I have always made my own stock and freeze it in ice cube trays and used it to make sauce as needed, and of course compound butters.
You're more ambitious than I am. I usually buy the all natural stocks from Wegman's.

Speaking of which, substitute chicken for steak, chicken stock for red wine, finish some small potatoes and veggies in the gravy and you have a pretty good chicken dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJO View Post
I have with interest and amazement read the last 54 postings and after reading a couple I had to scroll back to the top of the page to make sure I was on a sailing related website and not a cooking blog. I think 3 mentioned sailing.
When I'm on the boat I want to slow down and enjoy life. Good food, good wine and good company are all part of sailing in my mind.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
It could have been in off topic or provisioning, But it is sailing related, even though I didn't say it was. even still.. so what? What is so terrible about something being in the wrong forum?
I for one applaud you for for starting this thread

Old 05-17-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Glad you discovered the pan sear method. Its the only way I eat a steak.
Old 05-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Grilling steak can be a great method also if done properly and your grill is very hot. You can impart different flavored like mesquite, apple, etc by grilling you can't by pan frying. There is a difference in the taste of a grilled and pan fried steak. Both are great, but unique.

Most restaurants will grill your steaks, not pan fry, but thy have proper equipment too.

Juices don't drip out of a grilled steak unless you cut or poke it. It should not be playing with it either and turn it just once. Touch it with the tongs three times, once o put it on, once p turn it, and once to put it on the plate. The drippings of the meat when grilling is the fat turning to liquid basting the steak, hitting the " rocks" and turning to seam flavoring the meat wth hat grilled taste.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner