Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Steak, OMG! pan seared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I've been thinking the last couple weeks of going with stainless cookware. The non-stick on some of my current cookware is not holding too well.
Just think where all that non-stick coating is going. You are what you eat, so do it well, using wholesome natural products.
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

OK, I'll play along even if it isn't about sailing.

Pan seared? Here's how I do it:

Season the steaks (preferably 1-1 1/4 inch sirloin strips, neaty trimmed).

Put some of the trimmed fat in a cast iron skillet and heat it until it's smokin'. Remove the chrispy fat pieces leaving the hot grease.

Sear the steaks on both sides over high heat -- develop a bit of char, but not too much.

Push the probe of a digital thermometer into the center of the steak. Set the alarm for 125 deg F and pop them in a 450 oven in the pan they seared in.

When the internal temperature of the steaks hits 125 take them out, put on a platter a let them rest while you make the mushroom sauce in the pan the steaks just cooked in. (Sauce = butter, shallots, mushrooms, wine, demi glace and heavy cream).

After 10-15 minutes the sauce is ready and the meat's rested enough to slice it ~ 1/4 to 3/8" thick slices. While the steaks were resting the internal temp will rise to the low 130's which means they're perfectly medium rare when sliced.

I served it last night to they guy who helped me put 2 coats of anti-fouling on BR. See there is a link to sailing.

Enjoyed by all with a Chilean cab sav.

Last edited by billyruffn; 05-18-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

denise, pan searing is like any other form of cooking, in that it can easily be screwed up and some folks will just never get it right while others always seem to luck out.

Those green "ceramic" non-stick skillets are wonderful for this. No oil needed, nothing sticks, they're really miraculous. And maybe it is all in the head but I think an old experienced cast-iron skillet still has some magic for pan searing, maybe the flavor in the seasoning that's on the pan, maybe the way it holds so much heat and cooks so evenly, so it doesn't cool down when the steak hits it.

But you need good hot burners to pan sear properly. I had a home stove that the gas company thought was originally built for "coal gas" and it never could make a blue flame, no matter how it was adjusted. Cooked like a damn alcohol stove, useless for good searing. Sounds like you stove does a lot better.

There's a reason some of the cheap stoves are cheap--and why the pro chefs rarely use "EasyBake" ovens. (G)

I'm a barbarian who likes dead meat. Not red, not pink, but dead, with the pink turning into a nice gray. I understand the physics of letting the steak, turkey, whatever, rest but to me "rest" just means let it get cold. I'm pretty sure there are ways to cook without chasing the juices around. What's his name from Microsoft, Nathan Myhrvold, probably has it documented in his cooking opus.

Oh, waiter, please make sure my lobster rests before it is served. Right, sure. (G)
Old 05-18-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

All right you bastard chefs!

On the strength of reading this thread I picked up a few pounds of filet o' beef at a good price. Just made up a compound butter (sorry, no truffles available). I will try out a filet mignon recipe on Monday evening.

Reading this thread again made me hungry again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I've been thinking the last couple weeks of going with stainless cookware. The non-stick on some of my current cookware is not holding too well.
Get rid of your coated cookware pronto. You are slowly eating the coating.

My elderly father in law decided to get Cockateels a few years ago at their FL condo. A few pairs of birds died on him until he figured out (somehow) that the coated frying pan they had was killing the birds! If it kills the birds then what is it doing to you?

Stainless or cast iron.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

A small steak bought trail side in the Himalaya. We pan fried in Ghee with a little fresh garlic and onions. Missed the red wine.
Attached Thumbnails
Steak, OMG! pan seared!-pa190358.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 05-19-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Caleb, the effects of teflon vapors on birds are pretty well documented. And I'd agree, if it kills the canary I don't want to breath it either.

But when it comes to eating the coating, whatever flakes off, that's "just" teflon and that passes through the body totally inert. Not at all the same as the toxins from combustion gasses.

So as long as you're cooking eggs and not searing in them, the risk should be minimal.
Old 05-19-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

We took a "best of both worlds" approach on our boat.

A Magma nesting non-stick set for normal cooking duties - cleans up easy, cooks well and stores in a small space - and a high quality All-Clad pan for dishes where you want to use high heat.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-19-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
... green "ceramic" non-stick skillets are wonderful for this. No oil needed, nothing sticks, they're really miraculous. And maybe it is all in the head but I think an old experienced cast-iron skillet still has some magic for pan searing, maybe the flavor in the seasoning that's on the pan, maybe the way it holds so much heat and cooks so evenly, so it doesn't cool down when the steak hits (G)
I second the ceramic non stick pans. I've phased out all Teflon at home and on the boat. As the Teflon wears off, you are certainly ingesting some of that.
Old 05-19-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
We took a "best of both worlds" approach on our boat.

A Magma nesting non-stick set for normal cooking duties - cleans up easy, cooks well and stores in a small space - and a high quality All-Clad pan for dishes where you want to use high heat.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Yep. Same here (almost). We use stainless nesting and caphalon non stck skillets. Nothing beats an old cast iron skillet though.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-19-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
cheers

great story, I too prefer a cast iron over the grill.
What tha!!!???

Thats a ban-able offense. You are on very thin ice, shawn. Very thin!!

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: