SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Steak, OMG! pan seared! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99557-steak-omg-pan-seared.html)

deniseO30 05-16-2013 11:15 AM

Steak, OMG! pan seared!

I've Always loved steak properly grilled and medium rare. With my home gas grille it's just never quite hot enough. I'm too lazy for charcoal but sometimesI do use the charcoal grille at my YC to do a steak right.

Well, sometimes (OK, just about every night :rolleyes:) in the wee hours, when I wake up and can't get back to sleep; I'll watch cooking shows on PBS; there is one I've seen a few times now. They take 2 perfectly good NY strips and throw them in a cast iron pan! After a few mins of discussion with the guest chef. "8 mins one side, 4 mins on the other" He says. "set them aside to rest for a few mins."

Over the years, I've wanted to try "Pan seared" way of the chefs but never could bring myself to justify the loss of tenderness and flavor of a somewhat costly cut of beef. I think "loss" because I remember my Mom's way of frying steak. Her skills in cooking of course were highly influenced by the great depression era. Everything was over cooked!

Well to make a short story long; Last Sunday I decided to try doing up pan seared steak! Had a nice thick boneless sirloin, (Chef says it's better with cheaper cuts) I cut it to look like two strip steaks, salt and pepper (heavy on the pepper) rubbed them with butter. Meanwhile the pan is getting hot.. smoking the little pool of oil. ""Here goes!" I yell to my girlfriend as she's making salad. In the pan they go! The smoke and sizzling start. I'm trying real hard to restrain myself from turning down the heat; In a couple of mins, I notice this unmistakable smell of steak being grilled, not fried into burnt leather like mom used to do. But it's a frying pan :eek: Well, with the timer running and after the 8 on one and 4 on the other I set it on the cutting board and "cover lightly, for a few mins" Had our salad.. plated the steak... I'm not feeling very confident at this point. Make a cut.. looks rare to medium as I like it. Pat's is slightly more since she wanted it med well. (the thinner one) took the first bite... Oh My Gawd! Well I'm rather pleased at this point! I was delicious with the peppery caramelized taste I've only encountered at Outback steak house.

Last night, I did a sirloin on the grille, It was good, med rare but NOT as tasty as the pan seared steak was.

Got steak? Got a cast iron pan? Try it! :D

c. breeze 05-16-2013 11:39 AM

Re: Steak, OMG! pan seared!

Ill take olive oil, coarse kosher or sea salt, and coarse black pepper (ground at that moment) and press a clove if garlic. Apply liberally to steaks- and let sit while the cast iron gets... Hot.

Steaks go down- depending on thickness get about 3-5 minutes per side- 10 minutes rest and serve...

People are amazed. I won't even screw with a grill until its been at 450 or so for thirty minutes to get the grates properly preheated...

T37Chef 05-16-2013 11:40 AM

cheers :)

great story, I too prefer a cast iron over the grill. next time top it with a little compound butter. You can make it up a pound at a time, freeze it, then just cut a slice when needed. Truffle butter would be my choice but a herb butter would also be great :)

CarbonSink62 05-16-2013 12:05 PM

Pan seared is the only way I cook my steaks now. I do oil, salt & pepper on the meat and none on the pan. I do a lot less time, like 2.5m each side.

I think that the hour on the counter coming up to room temp is key. I usually season the steaks before they warm up, but I read something recently that I should salt them at the last minute. Does anyone know anything about this?

Ken

ccriders 05-16-2013 12:10 PM

Let's see; butter on marbled steak...hmm.
Oh what the heck, give me a chunk.

c. breeze 05-16-2013 12:11 PM

The salt is a desiccant and pulls moisture from the meat as it sits. Coming up to room temp is definitely preferred- and ya gotta have a dry skillet.

SchockT 05-16-2013 12:39 PM

Hmmm, I too have not so fond memories of moms pan fried steaks. I got rid of my cast iron pan years ago because i didn't have the space for something I never used! We do have some nice thick bottomed pans though...

Might i suggest that while your steaks are resting, you use the same pan with all those lovely juices and bits from the steaks to make a delicious peppercorn cream sauce? Mmmmmmm! That would top those steaks off quite nicely!

As far as grills go, there is a reason some grills are more expensive. All grills are certainly not created equal! I have a Weber that easily gets the grills up to searing temps and does an amazing job on steaks. The key is to heat up the grill on max heat, and then turn it down to med just before you slap the steaks on.

I'm hungry...

SlowButSteady 05-16-2013 12:45 PM

Denise,

Welcome to the club!

My favorite pan-seared steak recipe:
2 smallish ribeye steaks
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
3 or 4 garlic cloves, chopped
Fresh lemon juice -- one lemon's worth
olive oil
1/2 cup of cheap white wine
2 or 3 tablespoons soy sauce
course-ground black pepper

- Mix the wine, soy sauce, lemon juice, a tablespoon of olive oil, and garlic to make a marinade
- Marinate the steaks. How long is a matter of taste and time available; Try 20 minutes the first time.
- Heat a cast iron pan or Dutch oven
- Add 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil to the hot pan
- Sauté onion until it's just brown, but not soft
- Take the onion out of the pan and set aside for the moment
- Get the pan good and hot again
- Sear the steaks on one side until nicely browned, flip them and sear until not quite as brown on the other
- Add pepper to taste
- Leaving the steaks in the pan, put the onions back in the pan covering the steaks
- Cover the pan and turn off the stove -- the residual heat will finish the cooking while you fix he rest of dinner; maybe 15 minutes or so (the timing takes a little practice)

When you open the pan, the steaks will be medium or medium rare, and there will be some sauce to mix with the nice soft sautéed onions

rockDAWG 05-16-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 1031104)
cheers :)

great story, I too prefer a cast iron over the grill. next time top it with a little compound butter. you can male it up a pound at a time, freeze it, then just cut a slice when needed. truffle butter would be my choice but a herb butter would also be great :)

If you don't mind, I am taking notes :)

Before I cook the steak, i freeze the steak first and grill and burn both sides but still rare in the middle, then I slice it into bite size, vacuum sealed and keep the package in the freezer. On the day of departure, I wrap them with towels and fly to my destination. It is a great treat for the long voyage. :)

carl762 05-16-2013 01:06 PM

Haven't really tried steak in the cast iron, yet. Do most of my cooking in cast iron. I'm hungry for it, now, 9:06 a.m.