Join Date: Feb 2010
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Re: Steak, OMG! pan seared!
Welcome to the club!
My favorite pan-seared steak recipe:
2 smallish ribeye steaks
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
3 or 4 garlic cloves, chopped
Fresh lemon juice -- one lemon's worth
1/2 cup of cheap white wine
2 or 3 tablespoons soy sauce
course-ground black pepper
- Mix the wine, soy sauce, lemon juice, a tablespoon of olive oil, and garlic to make a marinade
- Marinate the steaks. How long is a matter of taste and time available; Try 20 minutes the first time.
- Heat a cast iron pan or Dutch oven
- Add 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil to the hot pan
- Sauté onion until it's just brown, but not soft
- Take the onion out of the pan and set aside for the moment
- Get the pan good and hot again
- Sear the steaks on one side until nicely browned, flip them and sear until not quite as brown on the other
- Add pepper to taste
- Leaving the steaks in the pan, put the onions back in the pan covering the steaks
- Cover the pan and turn off the stove -- the residual heat will finish the cooking while you fix he rest of dinner; maybe 15 minutes or so (the timing takes a little practice)
When you open the pan, the steaks will be medium or medium rare, and there will be some sauce to mix with the nice soft sautéed onions
Never forget them. Do something to prevent it from happening again.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt