Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Re: Who sells marine plywood?

+1 mdo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

You may wish to consider a very water resistant OSB. I know, i know... people try to avoid "particle board", this is not. OSB is extremely strong versus plywood and now a days it is the industry standard in the building market. Marine ply still soaks up plenty of water. Marine ply is a decay resistant product. It's all about the resins and chemicals used during manufacture.
I do recommend this product. You can take a piece and drop it in a bucket of water and actually see the water resistance. Pull it out after a week; visually it shows no absorption. Avoid any type of regular OSB. MDO i would avoid as well as it can absorb water as well if any gets to the cut edges or penetrates any surface openings.

Superior to Moisture Resistant Plywood, OSB Sheathing Products - AdvanTech
You can find this product at most REAL builder supply places, or order a sheet in. ie. not Home Depot, Lowes. Try a roofer supplier. It is expensive though.

It may not be the best for visual though. It does not bend at all if you need to shape it.
Using "exterior" grade plywood would not last long at all! It's a common misinterpretation that it will hold up to weather/water.

Product Locator
Buy AdvanTech Flooring, Product Locator - AdvanTech
Old 05-17-2013

gershel is on a distinguished road

Jim, I just bought some okume marine plywood from
Nacote Creek Marina, Port Republic, NJ. (609) 652-9070. They have all sizes in stock at very good prices.
Marc
Old 05-18-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Jim,
Here're a couple of local options for you.

South Jersey Lumberman's Mays Landing - They're a good source for anything marine as they've supplied south Jersey builders like Viking for years. They stock marine ply, teak and all kinds of pre-milled teak and hardwood mouldings, fiddles, etc.

Mr. Roberts Lumber in Barrington NJ may have it, if not they can order it for you. They'll be a bit pricier than South Jersey Lumberman's but when you factor in the cost of gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I do wood turning and other woodwork as a hobby. That would be a bad place for me to go.
Denise, Jim, if you're into turning then you both know about Penn State Industries in Northeast Philly. You can find some interesting turning blanks out back, sold by the pound at their place and lots of turning tools, kits, chucks, etc.

But have you checked out Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA (off Rt 1 south of Kennett Square).

This is a wood junkies paradise. They usually have about 3 million board feet on hand (not a typo). Rick stocks stuff that you've only seen in books. They have a 67" band saw and an 84" inch hydraulic chain saw mill! You can imagine their gnarly off cuts are great turning pieces. And you can find any exotic wood you've ever heard of at great prices. They're especially good with cherry and figured cherry.

"Hi my name is Jim and I have a wood shop problem..."

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-18-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

LOL JIm, yes Penn State ind. is only about 25 mins from my house and I get most all of my router and turning supplies there. Most recently is the Barracuda chuck for my lathe. Hearne is a long ride for me. I did get some tiger maple there for my kitchen table a few years ago.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
LOL JIm, yes Penn State ind. is only about 25 mins from my house and I get most all of my router and turning supplies there. Most recently is the Barracuda chuck for my lathe. Hearne is a long ride for me. I did get some tiger maple there for my kitchen table a few years ago.
Kathy and I will make a day of going down to Hearnes to pick out wood for a project -- and of course we'll hit the place up on Rt 1 that makes the home made ice cream on the way home.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-18-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Possibly not helpful to the OP, but I went into Chesapeake Light Craft a couple days ago (right down the street from Bacon in Annapolis,) and picked up a scrap of 1/8 Okoume ply, about 1 ft x 3 ft, for $2. I'll definitely keep them in mind for bits of trim and other small projects (my scrap was for surfacing the two small shelves in my head.)

Bonus: their beautiful wooden boats are worth checking out too (kayaks, canoes, and other small craft.)