SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Who sells marine plywood?

11K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  scratchee 
#1 ·
I have two places where I might need marine plywood:

1) My Allmand had a leak at the chainplates. I think I've fixed that (at least temporarily), but it had happened for a long time, and the previous owner's "stuff" was on top of the wooden shelf that the chainplates touched. As a result, the water would run down the chainplates, pool/soak into the shelf, and then the stuff on there would keep the wood from drying out. I tore out the shelf, and now want to replace that. I'm leaning toward marine plywood, though I suppose for an interior project, I could get away with standard plywood.

2) On my Albacore, as I was dealing with the issues caused by the driveway contractor, the traveler track that runs along the transom pulled free on the port side. I realized that the holes had rotting wood in them, and I sought to address the problem by filling the holes with regular epoxy, sucking it out, then squirting in thickened epoxy. That seemed to work OK until yesterday, when I was sanding down the excess epoxy (I got a little messy). As I moved the traveler to get to some of the epoxy, the rest of the traveler pulled free from the transom. The area where the track had been was dirty, so I cleaned that with acetone, and poured some acetone into the screw holes, too, to try to dry them out more. Then I cleaned out the holes with a screwdriver. In the first hole, I slid the screwdriver in, and it went down a good 2-3 inches before hitting squishy wood. This was true of the other holes, as well. That's about the time the ants started coming out. About 100 of them. About an inch long, with big, thick bodies. It seems they weren't happy about my digging around, nor were they pleased with the acetone. It became apparent that the transom was infested with carpenter ants. I'm not sure if they are new, or if they came with the boat, but either way, it now appears that I need to replace the wood that is under the traveler. In looking at it, it will be a messy and somewhat time consuming job, but doesn't look like it will be all that difficult. The wood is "just" glassed to the inside of the transom, so I'll cut it out and replace it. I'm leaning toward marine plywood for this.

So, given these two projects, it seems I'll be in the market for some marine plywood. Who sells it? I know I can't find it at Lowes or Home Depot. So, can I get marine plywood at any national chains or other well-known stores?

See less See more
#30 ·
Exotic Lumber is like a candy store for woods from all over the world/ They have some of the most unique tree woods. Teak and Holly sheets in many different thickness.

Great place

#44 ·
Jim,
Here're a couple of local options for you.

South Jersey Lumberman's Mays Landing - They're a good source for anything marine as they've supplied south Jersey builders like Viking for years. They stock marine ply, teak and all kinds of pre-milled teak and hardwood mouldings, fiddles, etc.

Mr. Roberts Lumber in Barrington NJ may have it, if not they can order it for you. They'll be a bit pricier than South Jersey Lumberman's but when you factor in the cost of gas...

Denise, Jim, if you're into turning then you both know about Penn State Industries in Northeast Philly. You can find some interesting turning blanks out back, sold by the pound at their place and lots of turning tools, kits, chucks, etc.

But have you checked out Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA (off Rt 1 south of Kennett Square).

This is a wood junkies paradise. They usually have about 3 million board feet on hand (not a typo). Rick stocks stuff that you've only seen in books. They have a 67" band saw and an 84" inch hydraulic chain saw mill! You can imagine their gnarly off cuts are great turning pieces. And you can find any exotic wood you've ever heard of at great prices. They're especially good with cherry and figured cherry.

"Hi my name is Jim and I have a wood shop problem..."

#34 ·
Denise, you never cease to amaze me...:)

#33 ·
Last I checked, Harbor Sales no longer maintains a Baltimore location. They do have marine ply at the Eastern Shore location, but it is wise to call first. Another idea is to consider various plastics like Coosa board. It will never rot but it is more expensive. Factoring in driving distance and time, Coosa board or similar may be competitive for you.

#35 ·
Jim,

Another option to consider is MDO (Medium Density Overlay) plywood. It's typically used for concrete molds and for highway signs. Great stuff. The resin impregnated paper facing takes paint (and epoxy) like a champ. I've never found any voids in any I've used.

IMO, the MDO is not as bullet proof as real quality marine ply but it's more bullet proof than regular exterior ply.

#42 ·
You may wish to consider a very water resistant OSB. I know, i know... people try to avoid "particle board", this is not. OSB is extremely strong versus plywood and now a days it is the industry standard in the building market. Marine ply still soaks up plenty of water. Marine ply is a decay resistant product. It's all about the resins and chemicals used during manufacture.
I do recommend this product. You can take a piece and drop it in a bucket of water and actually see the water resistance. Pull it out after a week; visually it shows no absorption. Avoid any type of regular OSB. MDO i would avoid as well as it can absorb water as well if any gets to the cut edges or penetrates any surface openings.

Superior to Moisture Resistant Plywood, OSB Sheathing Products - AdvanTech
You can find this product at most REAL builder supply places, or order a sheet in. ie. not Home Depot, Lowes. Try a roofer supplier. It is expensive though.

It may not be the best for visual though. It does not bend at all if you need to shape it.
Using "exterior" grade plywood would not last long at all! It's a common misinterpretation that it will hold up to weather/water.

Product Locator
Buy AdvanTech Flooring, Product Locator - AdvanTech

#45 ·
LOL JIm, yes Penn State ind. is only about 25 mins from my house and I get most all of my router and turning supplies there. Most recently is the Barracuda chuck for my lathe. Hearne is a long ride for me. I did get some tiger maple there for my kitchen table a few years ago.

#46 ·
Kathy and I will make a day of going down to Hearnes to pick out wood for a project -- and of course we'll hit the place up on Rt 1 that makes the home made ice cream on the way home.

#47 ·
Possibly not helpful to the OP, but I went into Chesapeake Light Craft a couple days ago (right down the street from Bacon in Annapolis,) and picked up a scrap of 1/8 Okoume ply, about 1 ft x 3 ft, for $2. I'll definitely keep them in mind for bits of trim and other small projects (my scrap was for surfacing the two small shelves in my head.)

Bonus: their beautiful wooden boats are worth checking out too (kayaks, canoes, and other small craft.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.