Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Who sells marine plywood?

I have two places where I might need marine plywood:

1) My Allmand had a leak at the chainplates. I think I've fixed that (at least temporarily), but it had happened for a long time, and the previous owner's "stuff" was on top of the wooden shelf that the chainplates touched. As a result, the water would run down the chainplates, pool/soak into the shelf, and then the stuff on there would keep the wood from drying out. I tore out the shelf, and now want to replace that. I'm leaning toward marine plywood, though I suppose for an interior project, I could get away with standard plywood.

2) On my Albacore, as I was dealing with the issues caused by the driveway contractor, the traveler track that runs along the transom pulled free on the port side. I realized that the holes had rotting wood in them, and I sought to address the problem by filling the holes with regular epoxy, sucking it out, then squirting in thickened epoxy. That seemed to work OK until yesterday, when I was sanding down the excess epoxy (I got a little messy). As I moved the traveler to get to some of the epoxy, the rest of the traveler pulled free from the transom. The area where the track had been was dirty, so I cleaned that with acetone, and poured some acetone into the screw holes, too, to try to dry them out more. Then I cleaned out the holes with a screwdriver. In the first hole, I slid the screwdriver in, and it went down a good 2-3 inches before hitting squishy wood. This was true of the other holes, as well. That's about the time the ants started coming out. About 100 of them. About an inch long, with big, thick bodies. It seems they weren't happy about my digging around, nor were they pleased with the acetone. It became apparent that the transom was infested with carpenter ants. I'm not sure if they are new, or if they came with the boat, but either way, it now appears that I need to replace the wood that is under the traveler. In looking at it, it will be a messy and somewhat time consuming job, but doesn't look like it will be all that difficult. The wood is "just" glassed to the inside of the transom, so I'll cut it out and replace it. I'm leaning toward marine plywood for this.

So, given these two projects, it seems I'll be in the market for some marine plywood. Who sells it? I know I can't find it at Lowes or Home Depot. So, can I get marine plywood at any national chains or other well-known stores?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road
Re: Who sells marine plywood?

I will leave this to someone more knowledgeable than me... but pressure treated plywood (via lowes or HD) might be good enough.

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 05-16-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Jim, Most plywood will hold up to water. "exterior grade" would be a good 2nd choice. The trick is, to not have water dripping in. I have the same problem but it wants to migrate to the dome lights LOL

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

There used to be a lumber yard in Flowertown that could special order anything you need. Call around. Most will have some idea of where to get it.

Boulter plywood out of Mass.

BoulterPlywood.com....
jimgo likes this.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-16-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Jim,

How much do you need and where is your boat? I have some left over from a project I could sell you real cheap

Otherwise you could contact Exotic Lumber Inc located in Gaithersburg & Annapolis Welcome to Exotic Lumber Inc I also live very close to the Gaithersburg location and could help you out if needed.
jimgo likes this.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 05-16-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Hardwood suppliers near marine locations. In Seattle you can get it at Crosscut Hardwoods. I don't know what the locations would be in the Philadelphia and upper Chesapeake region, but I bet that a good local boat yard could point you towards it.
jimgo likes this.
Old 05-16-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Jim Harbor sales in Baltimore is one. here's a link boat builders use.
Plywood
jimgo likes this.

My boat is for sale.
Old 05-16-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

It is often available via special order from any good local lumber yard. There are internet sources as well. One near (M.L. Condon Company) me has the following list of marine lumber:

Ash White Quartered
Birch, Sound Lauan Black
Mahogany, Philippine Ribbon Stripe
Mahogany, Philippine Rotary
Mahogany, Honduras Flat Cut A1
Mahogany, Bruynzeel Regina
Mahogany, Occume (MFC)
Teak, Quartered, G1S (Mahogany back)
Teak, Quartered G2S Both faces
Teak, Black Line Plydeck Decking Boards

I don't think any of the chains will be able to get much for you. They specialize in bulk purchases, and tend to be just as or more expensive as the smaller local guys on small orders. Bruynzeel and Occume seem to be the most common quality marine plywood for boat building. I would not recommend pressure treated, as it tends to not have a very fine surface, and will be unlikely have the correct glues.
Old 05-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Chef,
I need a roughly 3'x 6' section (still need to measure) for the Allmand's shelf. The Albacore is about a 4' x 2'.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-16-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Jim, sometimes regular pressure treated wood is the way to go on small projects like that.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.