Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Sat Phone - Rent or Buy and which one

My voyages are getting longer. Without connecting back to office has become a concern. We are a kind of lucky in the east coast that most sailing ground are within 10 days of out of cell coverage. I am thinking to venturing out to the Pacific this year which will take 30 to 45 days. At a bare minimum, I want at least text message capability.

I look into this: it looks good so far.
Inmarsat IsatPhone Pro WIFI Package - Satellite Phone with RedPort Optimizer

Anyone have one ? Suggestions?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road
Re: Sat Phone - Rent or Buy and which one

You can send limited texts on a Delorme Inreach tied to your smart phone but it won't do emails for weather and such. There is an app for the I phone which listens to HF weather and prints it out on your IPad but again it's limited. I feel in my own case to be really connected I would like the sat wifi and the system like you have found sounds usefull. Seems like more/better is way more costly but coming down.
Old 05-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Can a ham radio keep you in contact with a secretary an you could relay the information back and forth? It would be good to have anyways and free.
Old 05-17-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

I need something more substantial for communication and portable since I need to move from boat to boat.

No one here uses Sat phone regularly ?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-17-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

I've used one when I was in the Army. Can't afford the civilian version. The one you are looking at is $765 for the hardware, $150 for the service, and 90 cents a minute or so usage charges. Not as outrageous as satphones used to be a few years ago, but still pricey.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 05-17-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

I have a cheap sat phone that I bought used. It is an Iridium 9505. It is okay for SMS and voice. If I were making a long term investment, I would consider the new Iridium Extreme (9575) which includes a tracker feature (and will handle data as most of the newer models will). Incoming SMS is free on the iridium network and outgoing is cheap (but the phone is a lousy platform to text from). When I buy minutes, I buy them for a specific trip and time period (they expire quickly unless you buy a big bundle)

Immarsat seems to have better phones but it is difficult to get a handle on their rate plans which are totally different than Iridium. It looks like Immarsat may be more geared to annual plans (and you pay for SMS). Good luck!
Old 05-18-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
My voyages are getting longer. Without connecting back to office has become a concern. We are a kind of lucky in the east coast that most sailing ground are within 10 days of out of cell coverage. I am thinking to venturing out to the Pacific this year which will take 30 to 45 days. At a bare minimum, I want at least text message capability.

I look into this: it looks good so far.
Inmarsat IsatPhone Pro WIFI Package - Satellite Phone with RedPort Optimizer

Anyone have one ? Suggestions?
You might want to check out this review?
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393970,00.asp
I'd rent to try out several phones before investing in one.
Old 05-18-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I'd rent to try out several phones before investing in one.
This is pretty much of my thinking too. I don't need sat phone 365/24/7, but may be 30 days at a time. With the technology and cost moving so fast, renting makes sense.

On the side note of getting a SSB transceiver, a heavy some of investment for yesterday technology. I don't think I will get one even I have my boat. Besides, I seldom chat with other boats since I like to leave others in peace. But of course, that is just me talking.

Thanks for all replies.

Fine Print:
Old 05-19-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
This is pretty much of my thinking too. I don't need sat phone 365/24/7, but may be 30 days at a time. With the technology and cost moving so fast, renting makes sense.

On the side note of getting a SSB transceiver, a heavy some of investment for yesterday technology. I don't think I will get one even I have my boat. Besides, I seldom chat with other boats since I like to leave others in peace. But of course, that is just me talking.

Thanks for all replies.
I bought a used one at a satphone store in Miami. My thinking was, EPIRBS and all are nice, but that if I was sunk out in the middle of nowhere, it would sure be nice to have my phone in my hand, calling every single person I knew, telling them to get somebody to come get my ass.

My bailout kit has an Epirb, a SPOT messenger, a handheld VHF, and my satphone. I believe in redundancy.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 05-19-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Check out globalstar. Their sats are almost all up and running and they are running a great sale at basically twice the mins for half off. Ends in june i think.

Its the minutes that kill ya.

B

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook: